Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm moving to Minnesota next month from San Diego and I need help choosing between an FX35 AWD Tech/Tour and a Toyota 4Runner Limited 4X4. I've never driven in the snow and wanted to know if there was anyone who lived in that area. I've heard that the FX isn't that great in the snow. I'm afraid I'm going to have problems if I take a my car to the mountains in snow. But the FX is so much more luxurious that the 4Runner. I've been reading that the 4Runner can tear it up in the snow. I also wanted to ask about what you guys thought about the FX reverting back to RWD when you hit above 18 MPH. your input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
IMO, if lots of snow and mountains are on tap for you, but you still want luxury, I'd check out the Toureg. The FX can handle some light-moderate offroad conditions, but it's primarily a performance oriented vehicle most at home on the asphalt; deffnitely not one I'd refer to as being able to "tear it up" in the snow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would a good set of snow tires do the job? i have also read the 18" tires help with snow traction??

·
Registered
662 Posts
My choice would be Toureg, ML350 or LR3 for snow and moutain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to a friend in Minnesota and he says the winters arn't that bad. He says that the roads are keep really clean during winter. So I pulled the trigger and bought a 2004 FX35 AWD DG/Graphite Tech/Tour. I got it for more than 2000 under invoice according to Edmunds. The total price with tax and fees was $40,900! I'm so happy! I haven't picked it up yet though. I can't wait! thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Well, then, welcome to the club! Hope you enjoy it (you may still want to consider investing in a set of snow tires & rims, though, if you think you might be hitting any reasonable amount of the fluffy stuff). 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it true that you can't program the navigation while driving? lets say you want to find the nearest gas station, do you need pull over and program it? what other options on the nav do i need to be aware of? i'm also assuming it doesn't have a voice command functionality. thanks.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
bennyhana9399 said:
is it true that you can't program the navigation while driving? lets say you want to find the nearest gas station, do you need pull over and program it? what other options on the nav do i need to be aware of? i'm also assuming it doesn't have a voice command functionality. thanks.
Two parts to answer this. Certain functions of the nav ARE disabled while the vehicle is moving. There is a mod to defeat this, however and give you full access to all nav features while moving at the flick of a switch. See this thread: http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewto ... ng+nav+mod

For something like finding a gas station or restaurant, you can use the "Quick Stop" feature while moving to display and choose from a list of nearby locations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lets say you wanted to change your destination address while driving. will that still work?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
bennyhana9399 said:
lets say you wanted to change your destination address while driving. will that still work?
If you have a destination programmed in, are following it and decide you need to stop for gas, then yes, you can still use the "Quick Stop" feature to find a station, then resume your previous course. If you want ful control (like being able to program destinations, have access to all other features, etc.), then do the mod; it's very easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts