Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Dave from ActiveTuning (http://www.activetuning.com) here..some of you may know me from NissanClub.com, My350Z, local meets, etc

If you don't know me or my company, we specialize in manufacturing parts strictly for Nissan and Infiniti.

I know this is short notice, but we are looking for one FX35 and one FX45 that is willing to come to Centreville, VA (Northern VA near Fair Lakes) to help us prototype a custom grounding kit. The car needs to be stock under the hood. We need the cars here for about 1-2 hours of your time (you can hang around) to stop by my house anytime between Saturday and Tuesday this weekend (5/28 - 5/31). Tuesday we'll only be available until about 3pm at the latest. You'll get a free custom grounding kit from us which we'll be selling for $49.99 shipped and will of course be custom made to fit the FX35 & 45 specifically.

What we'll be doing in the prototyping is finding the best mounting points, the most optimum wire lengths, and taking pictures of the installation.

If you'd be interested, we'll be accepting applicants on a first come first serve basis, simply shoot me a PM with the day and time you'll be available as well as your phone #, and I'll be in touch with you. We'll be installing the APS Twin Turbo on our project 350Z, so you'll be able to check that out too if interested

A little history on our grounding kits. We have them for these current applications:

- 03-05 Nissan 350Z
- 93-05 Nissan Altima
- 95-01 Nissan Maxima
- 04-05 Nissan Maxima
- 04-05 Nissan Pathfinder Armada
- 04-05 Nissan Titan
- 91-94 Nissan Sentra SE-R
- 02-05 Nissan Sentra SE-R

We hope to be adding many new applications in the near future...There's plenty of customer reviews that are on our website if you'd like to see some testimonials as well.

If you guys have any questions or comments, feel free to post a reply or contact me personally.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
CAR54 said:
I'm not familiar with grounding kits. Can anyone provide good reasons not to do this? TIA
Even if your car is having electrical shorting problems you should take it to the dealer. Really, I can only think of 1 good reason to do this; if they are free (like mine were). Oh, and maybe for the bling and placebo effect.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Save your effort on the FX35; everything under the hood is identical to the G35c and 350Z. The grounding kits already available for those cars fit the '35 perfectly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MustGoFastR said:
Save your effort on the FX35; everything under the hood is identical to the G35c and 350Z. The grounding kits already available for those cars fit the '35 perfectly.
I've actually done a minor look at an FX35 in the past and it is different in the methodology we use for our kits, as we don't just loop everything off the negative battery, but rather use four seperate key location to the chassis.

For those of you that don't think it does anything, here's some unedited customer reviews posted at their own will on our site from 3.5 Altima's:

Got the silver kit, super fast shipping, great customer service, and helped a lot! I got better gas mileage which was the best for me seeing as how high the gas prices are! Thanks AT, u the best!
Great mod, my ride is a lot smoother and all the ligths are more brighter!!!
This was a pretty straight forward low cost mod. The install directions were excellent!! The bolt on the transmission was a real pain(big time)to get at, but everything else was real simple. I tested my power sunroof with a stop watch prior to and after the mod. I was very surprised to see how much faster in opened after the mod, stop watch verified this. Dont know about any HP gains but would recomend it.
Code:
This is one of the best low cost mods that you could do. I noticed everything was brighter. Car idled much quieter. My stereo quit dimming from the bass.
Well, I have almost 53,000 miles on my car and it seems if the electrical system had lost some efficiency before I put this thing on; my sunroof for example, had started closing slower and my headlights didn't seem as bright as they were when I got the car. Anyways, after I put the AT grounding kit on, I noticed my car sounded and felt much smoother when I started it up. Well, I was driving around last night enjoying the cool air, and I opened my sunroof and it was back to normal...that one thing alone was worth th $40. Also the lights seemed brighter, car shifted smoother, and the radio even seemed to sound a little better. Anyways, this is a great product, that was extremely easy to install. Thanks guys.
There is definitely no disadvantage to installing a grounding kit.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
[email protected] got back to me and said it's a 4-wire kit and anything beyond is overkill. Seems like 6 is the standard with other brands, and some were going for 7. Is it worth it? I don't know, but I'd be getting it done for free and looks like there are no ill-effects other than Service Advisors giving me a hard time about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
aznwrr said:
Dave, how about today? I will be in the area after noon.
Unfortunately I'm not available this afternoon. My business partner is flying in tonight until Tuesday, so we figured we'd get a couple kits knocked out for prototyping while here :)

[email protected] got back to me and said it's a 4-wire kit and anything beyond is overkill. Seems like 6 is the standard with other brands, and some were going for 7. Is it worth it? I don't know, but I'd be getting it done for free and looks like there are no ill-effects other than Service Advisors giving me a hard time about it.
If service advisors give you a hard time about it, that's ridiculous. A grounding kit is essentially adding more metal to the chassis of a car that is made out of metal....that is to dumb it down lol. For the dealer to void any warranty work, they would have to prove that the aftermarket part is the cause of the problem.

WORST case scenario, the kit can be taken off in 10 minutes if they are really giving you that much trouble and you don't want to deal with it.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Bradical (in South Riding/Loudoun) has an FX45 and I think he would probably volunteer especially since having aftermarket subwoofers. He's on his honeymoon though and won't be around to check the boards until Sunday evening.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CAR54 said:
Bradical (in South Riding/Loudoun) has an FX45 and I think he would probably volunteer especially since having aftermarket subwoofers. He's on his honeymoon though and won't be around to check the boards until Sunday evening.
Alright well it's up for grabs before that then....if there is nobody by Sunday night, I'll shoot him a PM....we'll let him enjoy his honeymoon until then :lol:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
CAR54 said:
I had a 7 wire kit. Overkill? Maybe, but like he said, it certainly won't hurt.

Dave, all I was saying above is that if you already have a kit for the 350Z, it should also fit the FX35; shouldn't really matter if your approach to the design of it is different from other kits available, right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MustGoFastR said:
CAR54 said:
I had a 7 wire kit. Overkill? Maybe, but like he said, it certainly won't hurt.

Dave, all I was saying above is that if you already have a kit for the 350Z, it should also fit the FX35; shouldn't really matter if your approach to the design of it is different from other kits available, right?
You're right, defintely doesn't hurt...but after 4 the differences are soo minimal....just like you're not going to put a 30 wire kit on, even though it won't hurt ;)

The layout is different from my Z in terms of the mounting points and what not. I'll let you know for sure in what ways by Tuesday ;)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Cool. Post pics if you can. Always helps people decide if thay can see what they're getting.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Just had it done this morning. Very cool guys and you can tell they're big modding enthusiasts. They used quality material and took their time to do a clean install. A Nissan Z kit will not fit in the FX35 as it seems the latter requires almost twice as much wire. Dave took some pictures so he'll probably be posting some of them soon.

The installer said the FX already seemed to be grounded very well in stock condition, but hooked me up anyway as compensation for my time. I wanna give it a few days before I give a verdict, but my initial impression is favorable so far.

I also asked the guys if they can produce more parts for the FX like thicker anti-sway bars, clear/blackened reflectors for the rear bumper, new upper/lower grills, etc. and they said they'll look into it.

BTW, it looks like they've already lined up an FX45 to come in a few hours after me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the kind compliments, and thanks for stopping by and helping us out Steven! We look forward to getting your final thoughts in a couple days.

We're working the FX45 right now, it will be very similar to the 35, with a couple adjustments.

More to come soon guys!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
CAR54 said:
A Nissan Z kit will not fit in the FX35 as it seems the latter requires almost twice as much wire. Dave took some pictures so he'll probably be posting some of them soon.
Interesting. I'd like to know why and see pics of both. At this point, I just don't see the point of two vastly different kits, when the two cars are pretty much identical under the hood. I'd think the shorter you keep the wires, the better (though it may make no difference at all for all I know).

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
You'd probably know better since owning both an FX and a Z, but it seems to me that the latter has a crammed engine bay with everything close together. The FX35's engine bay is considerably more spacious so more wire length is needed to cover the distance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.