Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, a while back I made the decision to delete the muffler, leave the resonator, and repipe with stock tips. Sounds VERY tough BUT there is droning and resonance in the cabin and the wife is NOT happy. Normally this would not be a big issue other than my grandmother took a turn for the worst and we will need the car in a matter of days for a road trip for a funeral (drama is high right now).

I simply cannot just kill all this great sound and if the noise would just stay out of the cabin, she would be all smiles. She loves great sound but I agree, it is too much in the cabin. So, I either need a weld up muffler option or a simple solution to kill the droning in the cabin. I also have to decide if the resonator needs to stay. I have heard the 80 series flows with resonator delete and to be honest, even though that is just a vid file, I really think mine sounds better. Lower growl like a V8 should have.

Anyway, I am open to flowmaster as well as other muffler options like Gibson, etc.

Also, above all, I need to know what muffler style I need to work in there. Just really hard to get cad files for stuff like this which I find real irritating. I will only have one shot at this due to time. I need to order something ASAP!!

Thanks guys. I realize the search function works and I have tried it but did not really find all the info I needed like this droning problem in the cabin...

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Re: Need fast help. Deleted muffler, wife not happy, need c

If you enjoy the sound from the outside, what about using dynamat all over the interior to keep the noise out? Especially along the floor would help with the droning I think... doors and headliner if you have time...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Probably not going to have time to mess with a complete interior damping mat but I agree that the truck area especially should be done. The back seat is really bad and have a 7mo old that probably does not need that.

Actually, in looking at the exhaust, I think I know part of what is going on here. The moron that piped this actually removed the muffler, then piped from the resonator to the drivers side tip. Then he simply drilled a hole in that pipe at near a 90* angle to run out the pass side tip and pipe which is about 3-4ft long. That RH pipe whistles and was going to get fixed anyway. Should have been true Y anyway...

I am kind of leaning towards the damping liner in the back plus an adjustable resonator chamber between the resonator and the exits. I can get it on the lift tomorrow but I am sure I cannot get a quality muffler here any sooner than 2 days.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts

You may just want to rent a car for the few days (I'm assuming) you'll be gone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I agree but for what that will cost, I can just fix the car. have 300 miles one way to our farm. I have other options but this trip will really suck without the help of the AV system for the kids. One has ADHD, we like him sedate when possible,...

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts

Sounds like you just need a quality exhaust shop to fix the mess the first guy did... only problem is trying to get a good shop to fit you in... they usually have waiting lists...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

You got it. Already called the guy that usually does our stuff and this week is out. Only thing I really lack here is a tubing bender that is setup for exhaust pipe. Might have to grab some pre bends and have fun... not a bunch to do but that Y is ridiculous. I about screamed at myself for not looking at that before I left before.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts

My opinion: I purchased a Nissan Titan last October and decided that I wanted to make the exhaust louder and deeper, so I replaced the stock system with a Magnoflow dual catback. It was just slightly too loud, but what was worse was the loud drone. My wife hated riding in the truck because of the drone. So I added some resonators, but it only made the drone slightly better. I was debating whether to try to fix this system even further, but I finally decided that instead of dropping more cash on it (I had $500 invested at that point) and not knowing if it would do anything to fix the problem, I just removed it and reinstalled the stock exhaust system. Moral of the story: sometimes its best to leave the stock exhaust system alone so as not to upset the wife. The designers at Nissan (or Infiniti in this case) probably knew what they were doing.

I would bet all my money that repiping your exhaust in its current configuration or installing dynamat is not going to fix the drone. You need a muffler. The reason you have drone is the soundwaves traveling down the exhaust pipe unrestricted. If I were you, I would first consider reinstalling the stock exhaust system to at least get you a vehicle that will not drive your passengers (and children) crazy. If that is not an option, you could look at installing a Gibson or Magnaflow muffler in place of the stock muffler. You can get good prices and expidited shipping at Summit Racing. Flowmasters are louder than both of those brands, and IMO doesn't belong anywhere near an Infiniti. And I also agree with Aiya that renting a car for the funeral might be a better idea than trying to rush fixing your exhaust problem.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts

For a quick fix, have you considered tip inserts?

Essentially you are sliding a reducer into the exhaust tip, causing more restriction and eliminating the pressure wave. Guys with HUGE exhausts run with inserts for daily driving. The difference is huge.

I know on tips designed for the inserts there is a small hole drilled in both the tip and the insert so that the two can be locked together with a pin or lock wire.

Going this way would probably be the fastest and cheapest if you can find what you need and do the install yourself. And it might make the sound acceptable to the wife, especially for the short term.

I have a turbocharged FX with a built motor and I DID use Dynamat everywhere in the car for a very nice sound improvement. It is still louder than stock and I continue to try to quiet down the ride, but if you have the time and motivation to do insulation install in small increments, it's worth the price of the materials, IMO. I'd start with the removable tip inserts and if that gets you most of the way there you can finish off with insulation on your own time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Update, after a quick study of the pipe configuration, I decided to run a test and plug the RH pipe which theoretically was causing the problem by acting like a 3ft long organ pipe. It worked! Noise dropped by 50%! I already called my muffler guys and told them I REALLY just need a Y added to make things right. They said tomorrow so I might just wait on this one. I think I will still go get some sound suppression mat though for the back. I want it to be quiet as a mouse to keep the wife happy. I am sure it will be a touch louder with that RH pipe active but I think I can kill the droning.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Looks like I might have through next week to get this figured out. I did get my guy to build the true Y exit for me but unfortunately, it did not work and is actually a touch louder now. I will need to find some way to tame the beast. I am NOT buying a 1500 dollar cat back for it.

Just curious if anyone has a cut away of the stock muffler? Curious to see how they baffled it. Flowmaster says their 80 series will be loud on that car. Magnaflow has a baffled style rather than chambered, really not sure but I fail to see how that would be much different than muffler tip systems are are common on ricers. I am not sure a straight through system would get rid of the drone though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

That does not fix my problem, still own the car

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts

jbaker1121 said:
you should just rent a car
Not a very helpful suggestion...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Actually, it were any other time, I would probably do just that but time is not permitting and I am probably best to apply my performance enhancements on my rides I guess. lets just say the wife said, "leave it alone" more than once....lol I am not wired that way...

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts

daschlag said:
You deleted the muffler on your wife's car?!?! You must be new to this marriage thing. :p
Yeah, I really hope this isn't your wife's car that you f-ed up. I learned a few years back that if you're going to mod your wife's car, you have to make sure its something that she won't really notice.... like a K&N air filter or LED license plate lights. Cutting off the muffler...... bad idea. [-X

To answer your question about Magnaflow, I think their mufflers are some of the best out there. They are made of stainless steel, have straight-through perforated stainless steel core, stainless mesh wrap and acoustical fiber fill. Will the straight-through design give you drone? Maybe, but it has to be less than with no muffler at all! You might want to look at Magnaflow universal muffler #12277, which looks like it might work on the FX ---> http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/disp ... mber=12277 MSRP is $207, but you can find it cheaper online.

However my strongest suggestion is that you really should just reinstall the stock muffler.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts