Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our FX35 w/ Tech, Touring, Sport. My wife HATES the rough ride. She wants chrome OEM 18" rims and tires. Ours are BRAND NEW with only 200 miles. Anyone up for trades?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
Casey,

Go test drive one just like yours but with the 18s to make sure it makes the difference that you are looking for. Hate to see you spend cash, when it does not really make the big change you are looking for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
I felt the same way about my FX when I first got it. It's the Sport option suspension that is giving you the stiff ride, I don't think changing from 20s to 18s will make that much of a difference.

Definitely check your air pressure in your tires, though. Mine were delivered from the dealer at 40psi when it should be 34. When I adjusted down it made a significant improvement in ride comfort... now coming up on 3000 miles the sport suspension seems to be breaking in a little bit so no issues at all anymore. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
GEAUX said:
Go test drive one just like yours but with the 18s to make sure it makes the difference that you are looking for.
He is not going to be able to test drive a Sport w/ 18's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
ShadyJC said:
I felt the same way about my FX when I first got it. It's the Sport option suspension that is giving you the stiff ride, I don't think changing from 20s to 18s will make that much of a difference.

Definitely check your air pressure in your tires, though. Mine were delivered from the dealer at 40psi when it should be 34. When I adjusted down it made a significant improvement in ride comfort... now coming up on 3000 miles the sport suspension seems to be breaking in a little bit so no issues at all anymore. :)
Actually there is a big difference between the 18 and 20s. The smaller diameter of the 18s will result in lighter steering and the more compliant, taller sidewalls will make for a more comfy ride. As far as the sport-tuned suspension, the funny thing is that no one has been able to verify that the part numbers for the struts and springs between the of the sport vs. non-sport FX35s are any different...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
I bought my 45 because of the ride. It's an SUV that's heavy on SPORT so it feels and drives very much like a sports sedan or wagon. I'm afraid that if I soften the ride, it'll feel like a Lexus RX, the Japanese version of a land yacht.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
GeoFX said:
Funny thing is that no one has been able to verify that the part numbers for the struts and springs between the of the sport vs. non-sport FX35s are different...
Edmund's shows the '04 Sport Package MSRPs for $1500 with a dealer Invoice of $1293. No official claim is made by Infiniti for any different suspension parts in this package; officially Infiniti claims the Sporst Package includes "sport-tuned suspension" When you consider upgrade costs for the 20" vs. 18", aluminum rails vs. black, and the drilled aluminum pedals there does not seem to be a lot of cost room left over for significant suspension upgrades.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I tend to agree with ShadyJC. I test drove every possible suspension/tire combination before I purchased mine and couldn't tell a significant difference between any of them. I drove on the same roads, same speed, etc... I ended up with a non-sport with 18" wheels and then upgraded the wheels to 20".

I honestly can't tell the difference except that the 20's feel more responsive around corners and, IMO, look better. I really think you'd have to have a super-sensitive tush to be able to tell the difference. :shock:

I'd stay with the 20's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
maznblu said:
I test drove every possible suspension/tire combination before I purchased mine and couldn't tell a significant difference between any of them. I drove on the same roads, same speed, etc...
Ditto on the tests; although I can tell that the Sport Package 20" are stiffer on some roads (however not enough to bother me). I like the looks of the 20" much better, PARTICULARLY the finish of the 20" vs. the 18" I also prefered the aluminum rails vs. the black (particularly on Diamond Graphite).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
maznblu said:
I really think you'd have to have a super-sensitive tush to be able to tell the difference. :shock:
I'm telling my wife what you said about her :bootyshake:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
maznblu said:
I test drove every possible suspension/tire combination before I purchased mine and couldn't tell a significant difference between any of them. I drove on the same roads, same speed, etc...
Ditto on the tests; although I can tell that the Sport Package 20" are stiffer on some roads (however not enough to bother me). I like the looks of the 20" much better, PARTICULARLY the finish of the 20" vs. the 18" I also prefered the aluminum rails vs. the black (particularly on Diamond Graphite).
Ditto, however, I settled on the 18" since it was going to be my wifes DD. Now when I drive it Im wanting the 20's and the sport. Since my G35c deal fell through Im back in the market to find 20".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
maznblu said:
I also prefered the aluminum rails vs. the black (particularly on Diamond Graphite).
I do too. Hey MSU, was that your DG FX35 tailing me on San Felipe from the Galleria area all the way to West Houston yesterday around 5:30pm? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
GeoFX said:
Hey MSU, was that your DG FX35 tailing me on San Felipe from the Galleria area all the way to West Houston yesterday around 5:30pm? :p
Nope, I was home watching the Astros lose to the Braves :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
I'll trade you my 18"s for your 20"s

I have 7,000 babied miles on my 18"s and I happen to be looking for 20" wheels & tires.

BTW, i've heard a few times that the ride is much softer on 18"'s than on 20"s??? I wouldn't know because I've only had 18"s.

Scott

2004 FX35 TECH PGK, Silver/Black AWD
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top