Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Download the PDF version (239K)

Many thanks to EvanEvery (FA) for this incredibly useful mod with write up & pics:

by EvanEvery

Its a very simple mod - all you need to do is splice a switch into a wire easily accessible under the passenger seat!

Here's the details: The Vehicle Speed Signal is sent to the NAVI Control Unit under the passenger seat via pin 28 on connector B207. This is a Grey Wire going into the Grey connector on the front of the NAV unit under the passenger seat. All we will need to do is splice a switch into this circuit to disable the VSS signal and you will be able to perform NAV system input. While you make input, the vehicle will appear not to move on the map. Once you are done, flip the switch to complete the circuit again and the system will then take a few minutes to recalculate your vehicle position.

There are two large connectors fitting into the NAVI unit under the passenger seat, one is White and one is Grey. The one we want to modify is the GREY connector. Here is a photo of the NAVI unit under the passenger seat as viewed from the front (My splices are already in place in this photo). Note the large GREY connector on the right:

The Inifiniti Shop Manual on page AV-136 shows this connector as well as the VSS signal on pin 28. The shop manual on page AV-149 provides a description of this signal and circuit. Here is a diagram of the pinout of the connector as viewed looking at the connector on the end of the cable:

The easiest way to get at this connector is to remove the trim from around the front seat and swing the harness out to the side. In order to remove the trim from around the seat you will have to:

1. Pop the little trim window out of the front of the seat trim panel. This is easy to do if you push with your fingers from under and behind the "window". Then remove the two screws on either side underneath the little trim "window"

2. Pop off the little trim plate which covers the location where the seat belt is fastened to the seat. Then remove the single screw under this panel which holds the larger seat trim panel to the seat.

3. Start to swing the large seat trim panel around from the front to the side of the vehicle. You will see a little white connector which snaps the trim panel onto a seat retainer post. Carefully unsnap this connector from the retainer post by popping it off with a screw driver. Do not try to unsnap this connector by pulling on the seat trim panel.

4. Then just push the trim panel a littl bit to the rear of the vehicle and will come right off.

Now just reach under the seat and disconnect the Large Whit connector, the Large Grey connector, and the small Grey Connector. Swing the harness out under the seat to the side where you can get at it.

Cut the Grey Wire which connects to pin 28 (see diagram above) and insert a SPST (Single Pole Single Throw - On/Off) switch and some additional wire so you can position the switch somepace handy. All this switch will have to do is either complete the circuit we just cut (for normal operation) or open/disconnect the circuit (to allow NAV input while driving). Here is what my connector looked like after I spliced in my switch with some 3M UY connectors:

Currently, I have my little switch just poking through the trim "window" on the front side of the seat trim panel. Its real easy to get to and I dont have to cut up or drill any of my interior. Perhaps I'll move it to a more permanent location sometime later:

This mod works great! It just takes a couple of minutes for the NAV system to fully catch up with the vehicle location once the VSS signal has been interrupted. Best of all its easy to do and you don't have to take down the dash or glove box!

edit by particlefx: added the pdf version

·
Registered
176 Posts
Posting whiout thinking this through but

Does anyone think that this mod and the nag screen removal mod can be combined?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi everyone,

this is a great forum, I read pretty much everything here b4 I bought my fx 2 months ago :)

I am wondering if there's an Infiniti engineer reading the forum ???

with my level of tech knowledge (not very low) , I believe enabling NAV while moving, or the AUTOLOCK feature can be just added to menu with a software update or a firmware update @ the dealer ???

anyone have any info on this ?

I am really attracted to the installation of NAV EDITING DURING MOTION mod featured in the forum, unfortunately I just can not financialy risk losing waranty or a decrease in resale value :(

take care and drive your FX safely :) there're so many people waiting for them to go below $30K to be able to afford one :) give them a chance to buy a CLEAN fx :)

Engin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you very much for this Mod. I did it yesterday and it works flawlessly. I placed an on/off switch on the front cover of the passenger seat, since the passenger will be doing the inputing during driving. It was extremely easy.
I want to do the "no nag nav screen" but don't know how to get the parts that I need. Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated... Thank you very much.

[email protected]

·
Registered
848 Posts
uluge said:
Hi everyone, this is a great forum, I read pretty much everything here b4 I bought my fx 2 months ago :)
<snip>
I am really attracted to the installation of NAV EDITING DURING MOTION mod featured in the forum, unfortunately I just can not financialy risk losing waranty or a decrease in resale value :(
Welcome to the forum!

There's virtually zero chance of you losing warranty by doing this mod. And, I would suspect that any potential purchaser would be happy to have it, so is there really any downside? :?:

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm going to try to install the Nav while moving mod next weekend. i went to radio shack and bought 22 gauge wire and an SPST switch.

I'm not experinced in electronics and I had some questions:

What are those two amber colored connectors in the pictures? Do I need those or can I just twist the wires togther and duct tape them?

is 22 gauge wire OK? The package says "hook-up wire" and rated to 300 volts.

I'm actually more worried about removing the seat cover and unbolting the nav system. we'll see how it goes.

thanks everyone

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Those are just a type of connector. Just pick up some twist connetors at radio shack or Home Depot. That wire should be fine. Hardest part is getting your hand back there and getting that connector unplugged.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I completed this mod today and it works perfectly.

For anyone out there hesitating to do this because of inexperience- don't worry. I have little elecrtical/electronic experience and it was super easy, just follow the instructions listed above.

The only thing missing from the above instructions is what you need to buy:

-SPST switch. This is basically an on/off toggle switch. $2 at radio shack
-connection wire- I used 18 gage and it worked. It's $4 at radio shack for about 100 ft. You only need 2 ft.
-electrical tape or connectors. I just used elecrtical tape, but the splice connectors were only $2.

that's it!!! It took about 15 minutes. 5 minutes to remove the plastic under-seat cover and 10 minutes to splice the wire in.

My only feedback is that if you have large hands it's a little difficult to work under the seat, but it's doable with patience.

also, I still need to drill a nice hole to put the toggle switch into, right now it's just hanging out.

This mod makes the nav system acceptable. It's still way behind my honda accord's, but at least its useable now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Particle FX:

I was wondering where you got the switch that you installed onto your seat for the Navigation switch. That is a very clean look that you created that I would be interested in doing as well. Thanks so much. You guys are all great help!!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
You know, it's very easy to run a little extra wire and mount the switch in a more accessible location, such as the center console storage compartment. I have mine mounted in my ashtray along with my Nav-TV switch.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
ringmup said:
Particle FX:

I was wondering where you got the switch that you installed onto your seat for the Navigation switch. That is a very clean look that you created that I would be interested in doing as well. Thanks so much. You guys are all great help!!
You can get the switch at Radio Shack. It's a SPST Rocker Switch(catalog # 275-693) for $2.69.

My wife is the one who usually flips the switch so it made sense to me to keep it on the passenger side of the car. Turns out, however, that it is really easy for the driver to reach it as well. I think it requires a 1/2" hole so pick up a good drill bit if needed. I used a drill press for mine but if you use a hand drill be sure to make a small pilot hole first. When you take the plastic panel off, you'll see that there is a really nice spot between the plastic ribs to make the hole.

BTW, I copied the location and switch from gtxjoe so credit goes to him:

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
I have mine mounted in my ashtray along with my Nav-TV switch.
Me too.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I just couldn't help to thank you people for finding this mod and posting it so clearly! I LOVE IT!
I ended up doing exactly what particlefx has done! IT"S LIKE STOCK! lol

Thanks again, Gazzzan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks, EvanEvery and Ujmot, for this mod; it works like a charm!

Just to ease any confusion (maybe just on my part . . .), the grey line that's being spliced is the one that goes into this plug. (See photo.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
And add mine!

Great article on a easy and painless modification. I wish we had more like these.
Thanks again!
Ron

1 - 20 of 191 Posts