Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum here and have a question.... We're about to buy an FX35 (for the wife) I'd appreciate any input on getting the tech package with the Navi screen vs without. Obviously the Tech package is neat with the Navi system (and screen) but I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra $4k. Wife could care less one way or the other (she's just happy to be receiving the new car) but I've read a couple reviews that indicated the plain screen display isn't what it should be for this type of car. This true???? Would I just be appalled if I didn't fork out the extra money to get the Navi????

Also, looking to get the DG with black interior....any similar pictures??? Second choice is a white one but not sure if it's even available with a dark interior.....definitely need a dark interior....have two kids!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I first got a Nav system in an '01 Acura MDX and have gotten one in every car we've owned since then - I love the Nav system. However a built-in OEM Nav system alone should only costs ~$2200 max. I do NOT think a Nav system is worth $4000+ But with the Tech package you get more than just Nav; Intelli-Key, Laser Cruise w/ Brake Assist, and Tire Pressure Monitor are all nice to have as well. It would have been nice if Infiniti would break all this into 2 packages - but all in all I recommend the package.

PS: Welcome to the group 8)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
chdiego said:
Wife could care less one way or the other
Both my wife and I have been pleasantly surprised at how useful Navi has turned out to be. Our first Nav system (in an '01 MDX) was bought BECAUSE we did not like the plain (no Nav) screen at all; we decided it was worth the money for the Nav "toy" to replace the plain featureless screen. That "toy" turned out to be a very useful and desirable tool.

·
Registered
286 Posts
well you have kids right !!!
then you need the DVD system :eek:
havent checked how the packages are grouped now.
but on the previous years once you got the DVD
you pretty much had to take everything including
the kitchen sink.
i always drive with the navi screen on to see the surround streets and use different routes to get to my destination. its a ton a fun
go for it dude, life is short

·
Registered
320 Posts
Depends on how much you drive. We didnt need it, as we dont drive into areas that are unfamilar and need mapping assistance. Our driving is mostly to work and errands that are in DFW area.

I would recommend if you plan on driving outside of your "normal routine".
Now if and when the Nav systems start with on board traffic reports showing accidents and lane blockage is when I'll invest.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm the worst backer-upper around. I've hit my own cars and house backing into the garage. Not anymore due to the camera. The NAV is great as it'll find the closest Starbucks, ATM, gas station, etc to your current location. The tire pressure monitoring light came on last week and told me my front tires are around 26. Adding air increased my mpg from 14 to 16. My wife loves the intelligent cruise control. My kid's friends think the car is weird looking but they tell their parents to buy a car with bird's eye view NAV. I haven't had to use MapQuest since we bought the car a month ago.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also did not get the Nav package (in Canada it is $7500)
I bought a Garmin 2610 nav system for $1000 , works great and also works on my motorcycle and any other vehicle I drive.

·
Registered
361 Posts
cantdrv55 said:
...but they tell their parents to buy a car with bird's eye view NAV.
You can switch your FX's NAV to a Bird's eye view. Its somewhere in the settings (sorry, can't remember off the top of my head the exact place to look). Wish I could be more helpful. :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
They tell their parents that after seeing my NAV w/bird's eye view. Seems to be unique in the industry.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input so far by everyone...... seems I'm leaning "towards" getting it (primarily because my wife tends to get lost everywhere and/or call me saying "honey, how do I get to....." )
Have another question though........anyone out there put LOTS of miles on their car??? If so, any issues? wife would be driving at least 50 miles a day.....about 18k a year...... I hate the thought of putting that many miles on not only a new car...but THIS car. Any issues with the FX at high mileage points????

·
Registered
286 Posts
15,800 miles in 11 months and no issues except for some rattles that i ordered as an option :lol:
you know the rattle package...... just kidding

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
cantdrv55 said:
The NAV is great as it'll find the closest Starbucks, ATM, gas station, etc to your current location.
IT ... WILL?!

That's the biggest fault of the Navigation system in our cars. If it works for you- and I mean really works where you can find the nearest arbitrary point of interest from where you are now, could you do me a HUGE favor and tell me what version of the Zenrin software you have? (Slide the passenger seat all the way forward, then flip down the black panel on the back of the underseat, and hit the "Eject" button).

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
chdiego said:
anyone out there put LOTS of miles on their car?
Today is my car's one-year anniversary. I've put 27.5K miles on it in that time.
If so, any issues?
My compressor clutch went out at 23K (covered under warranty) and that was absolutely it (well, a concrete parking support jumped out at me last March while I was parking ... :))

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL......thanks for the info.....
Ok, so lastly, is there (or is there NOT) someone out there WITHOUT the Navi screen who would be showing off their car and actually "brag" about how "nice" the plain screen is????

·
Registered
462 Posts
The plain screen is ugly. I sat in one today and could not imagine the FX without the tech package. The graphics on the non tech screen can be compared to old Atari game graphics.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Kenny, I got home too late to test out my claim re NAV finding the closest Starbucks to your location. My wife says it really can do that though (she'd know since the FX is her car). Anyway, if you like I'll try the test tomorrow and get the SW version for you.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
My only regret about my FX is that I didn't suck it up and pay for the NAV system. The non-tech screen laughs at me on startup... must be a feature of my car. :x

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Me too, I wish I got the Tech now. I just wish it was more resonable. I'd pay up to 2,500 all day long but 4K is alot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts