Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we're all aware by now that this nav system is inferior to both Acura and Lexus, but this problem/question is unbelievable to me. Maybe I'm just pushing the wrong buttons? Can anyone help?

Here's the scenario:
1. I'm driving down the road and want to go to a Target
2. Like many other metropolitan areas, Northern Virginia has about 10 cities within 20 miles of each other... Alexandria, Arlington, Vienna, Reston, Herndon, Fairfax, etc.
3. Because of #2 I don't know exactly which city I'm technically in.
4. I type in "Target" as a POI and the computer gives me 50 Target results, BUT NOT IN ANY SPECIFIC ORDER!!! The first one was for a Target 2 hours away! That does me no good. What I want to see is a list starting with the Target closest to me and working outward.
Even though I didn't input a city, the GPS shopuld know where I am. Actually, I know it knows where I am otherwise it wouldn't be GPS. If it knows where I am, it should be able to list the results in proximity order!

Am I doing something wrong? Is there any way to get a list of results in order of distance?

PS- I know about the "quick stop" function, but that only has limited entries and only picks 5 entries within 2.5 miles of you- nothing more.

Thanks

·
Registered
779 Posts
You are not doing anything wrong. This is how our navigation system works.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
hmmmm

ill have to look, but doesnt our system have a feature where you can ask "where am i"? and get a city too???

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
bradical said:
but doesnt our system have a feature where you can ask "where am i"? and get a city too???
Nope! ... and that's why the original poster and the rest of us can't a "Nearest" that works worth a ****.

The Zenrin navigation system has absolutely no idea where the point returned by the GPS is in any way except the point on the map. It doesn't know navigational boundaries.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This makes me absolutely furious. BY DEFINITION, this system knows where the car is. It also knows where all the POIs are. Therefore it's extremely simple to list them in order of distance.

to rub salt n the wound, it has a crappy "quick stop" function that stops looking at 2.5 miles. if it can do that, why can't it search for everything in that same manner?

Finally, my $26,000 honda accord has a nav system that has 100% coverage, plus touchscreen, voice recognition, a calendar that lets you leave messages and reminders, a calculator, better joystick scrolling and a much better screen. It even has a digital clock on the screen- how about that!!!

two thumbs down for Infinti on an otherwise extraordinary vehicle

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
ltmarks said:
Finally, my $26,000 honda accord has a nav system that has 100% coverage, plus touchscreen, voice recognition, a calendar that lets you leave messages and reminders, a calculator, better joystick scrolling and a much better screen. It even has a digital clock on the screen- how about that!!!

two thumbs down for Infinti on an otherwise extraordinary vehicle
Honda/Acura has the top Navi available period! The Nav on my MDX is incredible. However Acura did away with the on screen digital clock in '03 :( , a step backwards in my opinion (we used to own an '01 MDX w/ Nav).

Perhaps Infiniti Corporate is monitoring these Forums (I know for a fact that Acura Corporate watches their various forums),

·
Registered
462 Posts
The initial euphoria is over. Our NAV system really does suck! I used the POI to try to locate the nearest Post office from where i was. This dumb thing spit out over 80 Post offices! :evil: As luck would have it, the closet one to my location was #75 :evil: Took a long while to get down to that number!! Hopefully, Infiniti will provide a dealer flash that can correct this!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
unfortunately, our nav system is good for one thing and that is plotting a course from point a to point B. the problem is that you need to know the address for both points or you are in for a challenge of sorts.

the POI system is weak at best. even in the lastest version of the DVD, the POIs are still not updated from the '03 version!! ...i.e.. the same old places that have been around forever are still missing :shock:

·
Registered
286 Posts
05fxguy said:
The initial euphoria is over. Our NAV system really does suck! I used the POI to try to locate the nearest Post office from where i was. This dumb thing spit out over 80 Post offices! :evil: As luck would have it, the closet one to my location was #75 :evil: Took a long while to get down to that number!! Hopefully, Infiniti will provide a dealer flash that can correct this!
did you put the city you were in first.
i rarely use this feature, but last time i wanted to find a target store and put the city in first it was perfect because only one was listed and the directions came up.
but as i said i dont really use this feature much

·
Registered
462 Posts
No i did not put in the city. I wanted the NAV to tell me the closest Post office to my current location. It failed.....

·
Registered
187 Posts
fxer said:
05fxguy said:
did you put the city you were in first.
i rarely use this feature, but last time i wanted to find a target store and put the city in first it was perfect because only one was listed and the directions came up.
but as i said i dont really use this feature much
I do input the city, if I know which one I am in. In the Chicagoland area, there are many suburbs (cities) that over lap each other. When I have use the Nav to find a location, often times I have no idea what city I am in. Also, even if I do know the city, the closest "Starbucks" to my current location may be in the city over, which may be 1 mile from my current location. The nav is pretty good, except for this feature. I looked at the systems in the X5 and Cayenne and they sucked pretty bad.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
fxer said:
Did you put the city you were in first?
Thing is, that only works in the middle of nowhere. Here in SoCal, there's a bunch of large suburbs right up next to each other, so the "nearest" something-or-other might be in "another" city, but here that could mean literally across the street. So you're in Marina Del Rey looking for something, and if it's in Culver City (immediately adjacent), it'll claim it doesn't exist.

POI handling on the Zenrin navs is so bad that I've taken to using Yahoo! Mobile's Yahoo! Maps on my cellphone to find a place, then sticking that address into the Nav. Much less hassle, and it doesn't take that much more time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I may have found an answer to this. If you type in the category, then hit "nearby", I think it searches by order of distance.

We know the system has the at least the basic feature because of the quickstop function. i.e. Since it has quickstop, you know the computer at least knows where the car is. If the car knows where it is, there must be a way to search by distance.

Unfortunately, I can't test this since my FX is with my wife in Boston, so if one of you get a chance let me know if it works.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
ltmarks said:
I think I may have found an answer to this. If you type in the category, then hit "nearby", I think it searches by order of distance.
Trust us on this- it doesn't work.

Try putting in a POI in the "Others" category that's got a lot of locations (i.e., "Radio Shack") w/o putting in a city, then hit "Nearby"- it'll crunch for a long time, then spit out a "The nearest POI is at least 30 miles away, please enter a city" bogus error message.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts