Infiniti FX Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
johnmax said:
Well if you really dont care about the Garmin audio, you can just use an external speaker off the garmin. A **** of alot easier wiring wise. Or Maybe disconnect the center channel speaker and use it only for nav. If I had to do it in mine i'd probably do one of those 2. On my oem nav I never have the voice on so its not important to me.
Don't I still have to install the Nav-TV module to plug in the GVN 53? My understanding is that this will require removing the head unit.

Also, I can't seem to find the Nav-TV module to convert the signal from the GVN to the FX LCD screen - is there another source besides eBay?

Thanks,
Paul

EDIT: May have found one ... is this it? CARDEMAND NAVIGATION ADAPTERS

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infiniti-FX-35-45-N ... 8591859547

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Yes you need the nav tv module (thats the right one you linked).

But you dont have to worry about wiring into the BT audio path if you use the external speaker, and you can use a simple toggle to flip to the map, avoiding fussing with the BT mute circuit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For those who have the GVN53 installed - what is your std protocol for interfacing with the unit? Which buttons on the remote do you use most often; alternatively, which buttons on the remote are useless?

The reason I'm asking is because I would like to hard mount the "useful" buttons on the dash so I don't have to worry about fumbling around for the remote (or where I last left it ;)).

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
PHKsFX35 said:
For those who have the GVN53 installed - what is your std protocol for interfacing with the unit? Which buttons on the remote do you use most often; alternatively, which buttons on the remote are useless?

The reason I'm asking is because I would like to hard mount the "useful" buttons on the dash so I don't have to worry about fumbling around for the remote (or where I last left it ;)).
Why not get a touchsreen programmable remote and mount that on the dash instead of hacking your dash? Garmin unit should use a rf remote so it should be easily programmable. You can then mount the remote to the sunglass holder for a discreet look or place it on your dash for an exposed one..

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
PHKsFX35 said:
Good idea!

Any suggestions for a small programmable touchscreen remote?
I'd look for brand names. Sony, Pioneer, Philips all make good universal touchscreen controls.. They might be expensive though.. Additionally, I'd get garmin + video converter working first if you've not done that already and then get the remote and work on it later..

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
^^^ That link didn't work for me John... but if you're talking about the HARMONY 1000 I've got one at home and it's pretty nice! However, it's a bit hard to make custom buttons for it since it's designed for idiots... not sure if it'll have a pre-programmed face for the GARMIN remote...

With regards to buttons that are commonly used... pretty much all of them... the remote is pretty small and they kept buttons to a minimum so I use about 90% of the buttons all the time...

You could get rid of the ZOOM IN / OUT buttons as well as the PAGE UP / DOWN buttons since they're not used very often... but like I said... about 90% of the buttons are used frequently...

There was a really nice fully programmable remote I was looking into getting before, but right now the name eludes me... it had software for your PC where you could literally design any touchscreen with whatever buttons you wanted on it... you could also download certain templates (ie: Sony buttons) and then tweak them to whatever you wanted... if I can remember, I'll post it... one problem was that was a few years ago and at the time, that remote was over $1000... don't know if it's still made, but if so, the price should be lower...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey guys, i know this is an old thread but I am wondering if any updates to these type of mods.

I am think of buying the Alpine NVE-M300 or the Garmin GVN 53.

I am leaning toward the Alpine.
Does anyone have this installed.
I am very tech savy. I build and repair PC and can solder.
Is this hard to install.
If someone has any instructions or pictures of the proces, please post.
Please help me, because I am serious on doing this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah looks like an old post. Any updates from those of you who have done this mod?? Does anyone here know of any recommended installes in the Boston area who could do this for me?? Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
ttt

looking for any active links or name of the “Nav TV” aka “video converter” referenced in this post thanks

61 - 71 of 71 Posts