Infiniti FX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
GAMacky said:
Kato said:
Finally, can the NavTV accept two inputs or would I need another type of switcher? If I do this I'd like to also incorporate a DVD player somewhere so that I can watch some movies on road trips!
Yes, NavTV has 2 inputs, one main input and a reverse camera input, which can be used as a second input. As in the matter of fact, the camera input would be perfect for the GVN input as it has a lead for reverse signal which you can use your mute signal with, leaving the main input for your DVD player or iPod.
Thanks! It doesn't sound like I can do all three, however...?

What do you think about the lane departure warning system and intelligent cruise control on a side note? I'm considering two almost identical FX's, one with Tech and one without. I use a Valentine one and don't want my Laser going off constantly if my cruise control is on... Do you turn your laser off or turn off the radar from the cruise when you use it?

Any recommendations or input?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Kato said:
Thanks! It doesn't sound like I can do all three, however...?

What do you think about the lane departure warning system and intelligent cruise control on a side note? I'm considering two almost identical FX's, one with Tech and one without. I use a Valentine one and don't want my Laser going off constantly if my cruise control is on... Do you turn your laser off or turn off the radar from the cruise when you use it?

Any recommendations or input?

Thanks!
No, not all three. But it is possible with the addition of a video switcher.

On LDW, you can easily turn it off either manually or set it to off by default. Personally, I like it because it forces me to use the turn signal as I absolutely hate it when people don't *cough*Californians*cough*. :D

The V1 and ICC issue only happens when you're very close to the car in front of you and that car is either white (or light color) or has chrome rear bumper. It occasionally happens with other colors. When I'm in bumper to bumper traffic or on heavy traffic surface street, I don't use the V1 nor ICC as you can't really go above the speed limit any way, so there's no reason to have it on. I typically only use V1 on open freeways and on road trips where I do expect to go way faster than the posted speed limit. In those situations, ICC rarely interferes with V1, and both works wonderfully well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, that is great to know.

It looks like you are using the PAC iPod solution? Does it work well for you? Any feedback?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Kato said:
It looks like you are using the PAC iPod solution? Does it work well for you? Any feedback?
Since the NavTV only have 2 VIDEO inputs, I'm using the PAC AAI-NIS2 for the 2 AUDIO inputs to complete the A/V experience. The only problem with this setup is that the VIDEO route and AUDIO route are separate, which means that you must switch them separately. But this does give complete flexibility like switching the display over to the map or trip info while still listening to my mp3/video player. So I do like it this way. Depending if you have the Satellite receiver installed, you'll need PAC AAI-NIS or AAI-NIS2. The first is for radios without the satellite receiver installed and the second one is for radios with the satellite receiver installed. The only gripe that I have with the PAC unit is that when there's no audio signal going into the PAC, it has an annoying buzz in the background. So in between songs where there's a couple seconds of silence, it'll buzz. If you don't have the mp3/video player turned on, it'll buzz. So I'll always make sure I have the player turned on and playing something before I switch the audio over to PAC.

But for single audio input from the GVN, I think going throught BT audio path is an excellent idea. That way you don't need to switch it manually.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am interested in adding navigation to my 2006 FX35. The Garmin GVN 53 unit seems very promising. I have a few questions, though.

I am only interested in adding the navigation feature and have no interest in additional video inputs for watching movies, etc. Would I still need a NAV-TV unit in addition to the Garmin?

Are there any recommended installers in the Northern NJ or Atlanta, GA area?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
CnoteMD said:
I am only interested in adding the navigation feature and have no interest in additional video inputs for watching movies, etc. Would I still need a NAV-TV unit in addition to the Garmin?
Yes, in order to get any non-FX-native video source to the FX screen, you'll need the Nav-TV unit.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
OK... just got johnmax to install the GARMIN GVN-53 on my 07 FX35 w/o Tech... it works like a dream...

At first, the screen didn't fit perfectly so I was a little disappointed but figured this would be a compromise I had to live with... however, on the drive home I was learning things about my GARMIN and found out there are a few screen controls... I managed to move my screen to the middle, showing all the information... looks very stock right now. However, the screen is a little blurry in comparison to the OEM display information. There's another screen where you can make a lot of minor adjustments to the signal output of the GARMIN unit. I played with it a little and it does make subtle (some not so subtle) changes to the image. When I have more time, I'll play with this feature more. If I can find a good setting, I'll post it up for anyone else that may want to do this mod on their car.

So this is how John set it up for me... there's a toggle switch I can use to switch from NAV to the OEM screen. I toggle over and can do anything I want with the GARMIN. If I don't want to see the screen, I toggle back to the OEM screen. Once the NAV is set, I can toggle back to my OEM screen and listen to music or whatever I want to do... when prompts come up from the NAV unit, it sends a mute signal to the stereo and John used it to also switch over the screen to see the turn by turn updates. VERY handy... there is only 1 limitation to this setup. While the NAV screen is up, you cannot get any sound from the headunit... all sound prompts are from the NAV unit... so if you want to drive with your NAV screen up the whole time, you cannot listen to music. I just drive around with the music on, and if I want to check on my current position, I just flick the switch and watch the NAV screen for a bit... then switch back to my music... if I'm in a place where I know there may be lots of turns or exits and I want to pay attention to the NAV, I'll just switch over and put up with 5 mins of no music... it's not a biggy for me...

Also, once you get used to the remote, it becomes very intuitive... I still want to touch the screen every once in a while, but it's really not necessary... the remote allows me to sit back in my seat comfortably and change any settings very quickly... the only time I want a touchscreen instead is when I'm typing in names... however there are also shortcuts for that too that I'll have to play around with...

Overall, this is an AWESOME set up for anyone that wants NAV in their car w/o using the OEM NAV system. And if your installer really knows what he's doing, it comes out pretty stock looking!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm on the other side, I do have the nav unit.. I just hate it (an 05 with tech).

Ideally I would like to completely replace the unit with an aftermarket setup.. but I'm worried about the climate controls, or rather lack of climate controls if I pull out the entire unit and replace... I actually want to replace it with one of these....

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
You could reroute your original screen to where the sunglass holder is and then install anything you want in the original LCD position. Or you could just add the GARMIN unit to your FX and use it instead of the stock NAV...

That picture you linked looks pretty nice!

Oh... another cool think I noticed about the GARMIN GVN-53 is that it can be used as an XM receiver... now I'm thinking this might be a cool thing to play with so I could have XM RADIO and my iPod hooked up and to listen to one or the other, I won't need to take out my iPod... I'm gonna do some research later to see if the parts I need are available and how much work it will be to play around with...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dunno how I missed your post last time I went through the thread.. heh I guess I forgot to subscribe....

Anyways, the pic I posted is the Pioneer Avic due out soon, jack of all trades.. master of all trades :) but its not cheap, top of the line unit is around $2k. I just wish the aftermarket vendors would include the ability to control all the functions that the car makers are all jamming into the same screen, there has to be a huge market for people who want to replace the horribly outdated crap that Nissan/Infiniti shoved into the tech package... (come on, you have to agree, of all the car makers, I believe the navigation used by Nissan ranks way down at the bottom from a usability and quality standpoint).

I was under the impression for the GVN I would need a AV switcher, or was I mistaken and I could technically replace the stock GPS module with the garmin and be done with it (I suspect minor screen adjustments may be required...)

Do you perchance have the wiring diagram for the GVN (I can find the one for the stock one around here I guess)....

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
I don't have the wiring diagrams... I had someone install it for me... You'll need a NAV-TV unit from ebay ($220 shipped) to patch into the LCD screen. The GARMIN GVN-53 actually has a screen adjustment page. I played with it a little to center my screen and make the display a little sharper. There are some very advanced screen setting features, but I don't know enough about them... played a little and then reset it to defaults. And if you want, you can also pay about $200 extra and get an XM receiver for the GARMIN. Plugs right into it, and then you can use the remote for the GARMIN to handle all the XM stuff. I'm interested in it as you can also get XM TRAFFIC with it for the GPS... but I first need to fix up my other electrical problems...

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a great finding!

I'm getting one with the XM radio/traffic as well.

Does anyone know if the XM radio information (artist/song name, etc) can be displayed while on navigation/map screen?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
wilsondmj said:
This is a great finding!

I'm getting one with the XM radio/traffic as well.

Does anyone know if the XM radio information (artist/song name, etc) can be displayed while on navigation/map screen?

Thanks!
Are you talking about the XM for the GARMIN? If so, yeah it should... I haven't played with it yet, but there's a separate screen just for the XM player... right now, I'm holding off getting the XM thingy cause it's over $200 AND it appears XM and SIRIUS may merge soon... which might make the XM thingy obsolete...

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
DatMan said:
I'm holding off getting the XM thingy cause it's over $200 AND it appears XM and SIRIUS may merge soon... which might make the XM thingy obsolete...
Merger or no merger, XM and sirius will continue as they are for a couple of years. It is doubtful Garmin will make an interoperable unit, even when the companies start to (about a year off). So if you want XM, get it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
With the merger, all the equipment will work, however each of their respective programming choices may start to appear on each others network since I doubt they will just stop using the current satellites in orbit :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, I'm ready for this mod but I have a couple of questions for John.

1) How do I locate the bluetooth mute and bluetooth audio path in my FX?

2) Why is it that my stereo would not work while the Garmin is switched on. I was assuming that the Garmin audio out is plugged into the bluetooth audio path and it would be turned on only by a mute trigger from Garmin (when ever Garmin wants to talk). So when Garmin is not talking I should be able to listen to my stereo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This sounds interesting to me also, but I do want to be able to listen to music while the nav is displayed. I don't need to have verbal turn commands; if so, can I disable the audio from the Garmin unit and still allow the headunit to route its sound to the speakers? I assume I will still need a toggle switch of some sort to switch between the nav and OEM screen though.

I'd like to hear from the others who have this installed for a while.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Well if you really dont care about the Garmin audio, you can just use an external speaker off the garmin. A **** of alot easier wiring wise. Or Maybe disconnect the center channel speaker and use it only for nav. If I had to do it in mine i'd probably do one of those 2. On my oem nav I never have the voice on so its not important to me.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts