Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I just discovered this Garmin product on their website. Its called the GVN 52. Its a stand alone GPS system that is supposed to integrate with a vehicle's factory video/audio interfaces. Its cool because you can display the Navigation maps on the stock screen and control the navigation with a wireless RF remote, you also hear route guidance and street names through the vehicles audio system. Has anyone tried this? This seems to be a perfect solution for those of us who have the color screen, but didnt opt for the factory navigation. Im guessing that use of this GPS system will also require the use of the NAVTV mod? This works on non-tech color screens right? any info guys? anyway here is the link to the product! Thanks! http://www.garmin.com/products/gvn52/ :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 06 fx 35 w/o nav. and I installed a video converter for fx 35 that I bought from ebay and Garmin GVN 52. And this is how it comes out. Everything works fine except for one thing. The display doesn't fit the screen. I called Garmin for that problem and they said some displays have that kind of problem which they can't do anything about for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone else installed the GVN-52? I'm worried that the screen might cutoff portions that you need to see in order to program in your directions. I downloaded the installation instructions and the owners manual but neither seemed to paint a clear pictures of how difficult this would be in the FX.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Garmin GVN-52

Funny thing is that unless you had mentioned it, most people would not have noticed that it does cut around the picture a little bit. I have a 2004 FX35 with nav. I hate it. I want the text to speech, calling out the street names. Does it work as advertised? If you had to do it all over again, would you have purchased it again? I'm torn between buying this unit or the nuvi 670 with European maps. I don't know what to do.....

·
Registered
108 Posts
can someone post more detail info on this? I am very interest in this mod.. and also would like to figure it out... including which video conventer to buy from ebay?

·
Registered
536 Posts
it looks like a perfect fit to me. So that thing will convert my current screen into what's show above??? I need to look further into this. I rather do that instead of moving my stock screen where the clock is and having an after market gps system installed.

·
Registered
536 Posts
For cars with a factory or aftermarket onboard screen already built-into the dash, the Garmin’s GVN 52 is the perfect solution for your added GPS needs. The GVN “black-box” has all the capabilities as the Garmin StreetPilot series and is small enough to fit under your car seat for easy installation. It has composite video output for compatible displays and comes with a built-in 12 channel WAAS receiver for increased signal, preloaded mapping, and turn-by-turn guidance.

The GVN 52 is preloaded with City Navigator North America NT and can connect with the GXM 30, GTM 10 or GTM 12 for Real-Time Traffic and/or XM NavTraffic capabilities. The 52 also comes packed with tons of Point’s of Interest (POI’s) such as – restaurants, hotels, gas stations, retail shops, ATM’s and much more. An SD slot was built into the side that allows you to add your own POI’s from industry standard CSV files. The 52 gives you the ability to get verbal/visual guidance and has the Text-to-Speech feature that will direct you using the actual street names in 2D and 3D viewing.

(The GVN 52 comes with a RF wireless alphanumeric remote control that is required for operation. If the 52 is connected to a touch screen display, the remote is still required in order to operate. Touching the screen will not work in conjunction with the GVN 52.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Regarding the screen cut-off, I'm okie if it cuts off the edges, but after reading the owners/operations manual, it looks like the menu is at the bottom of the screen, so I wasn't sure if that part was cut off or not, couldn't tell from the pics. If so, it would be difficult to navigate through the menus. If it just cuts off the very edges, I'm not too worried about it. Maybe if we had enough interest I could contact the moderator and see if we could get a group buy going...I saw them listed for around $500 which is still a good deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The cut off problem doesn't affect the visiablity of the screen at all because it only cuts the very edges... hope they come up with the solution ( they said it's a known problem for the unit...)
Besides that, it works great.. glad I made a right choice for non tech FX. Hate wires running through all over my car.
I'll post up more pictures soon.

·
Registered
536 Posts
oppasmurf said:
The cut off problem doesn't affect the visiablity of the screen at all because it only cuts the very edges... hope they come up with the solution ( they said it's a known problem for the unit...)
Besides that, it works great.. glad I made a right choice for non tech FX. Hate running wires running through all over my car.
I'll post up more pictures soon.
please do post pics...

i'm also still confused as to how this works. :?

·
Registered
536 Posts
ok i just contacted one of the recomended installers somewhere on the west coast and he said it will not work with my "orange" screen that i have to have the "color" one. **** that sucks. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Garmin Unit

Garmin Unit attached on black plastic panel under glove box.
tried to get a closer shot but the unit is a little bigger than size of a pack of cigarette. You can barely see it from driver side.
You can hide it under passenger side seat but I had it out for unit update which requires SD card insertion and for unit operation - RF remote control gets better signal this way.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Garmin Menu Screen

Here is the pictures of Garmin screen.
I believe the User interface is pretty much similar with other garmin product such as street pilot, nuvi etc... you can tell from the picture

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
External Hard Drive

This is an external hard drive which can play movie files on the TV such as Xvid, Avi, Vid and so on.
Most of the movie files and Mp3 files played in a computer can be played in this external hard drive.

The video converter in here
http://cgi.ebay.com/Infiniti-FX-35-45-N ... dZViewItem
takes TWO input videos and displays through the stock color LCD.
In the description in the ebay, One is made for DVD player and the other one is for back up camera.
But I made it one for GPS and the other one for external hard drive DVD player. 06 fx comes with back up cam. :D

When you play DVD files, some files do fit the screen and some don't. I'm hoping that garmin come up with updated software that can fix the cut off problem.

And you can switch displays with toggle switchs.

I installed toggle switches in the place where "snow" and "VDC" are located. I found that this is the best spot for switches.
Besides, I didn't wanna make holes for switches in my new car.

After all, you can have 3 different display functions in one display.
1. Factory screen with temp control
2. GPS
3. DVD player

Aux audio information and center console removal instruction
can be found in other forums.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is some more.
You can compare the fitment between the two displays.

And I watch music video or movies most of time in the car.
Specially, when it comes to a long driving and no one wants to ride with you :( , this is a must have :D haha.

Finally, I like this fx forum. And I get all the information about FX in here. hope you guys enjoy my sharing

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
oppasmurf said:
Yeah you need to have color LCD in order to install it. All 06 FX 35 comes with color LCD for back camera with or without nav.
you think i would be able to purchase a '06 LCD monitor and install it in my '05?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
ludenaa said:
oppasmurf said:
Yeah you need to have color LCD in order to install it. All 06 FX 35 comes with color LCD for back camera with or without nav.
you think i would be able to purchase a '06 LCD monitor and install it in my '05?
Not possible, connections and electronics are not the same. Best bet would be to go with an aftermarket screen and relocate the stock. Or you can go with a flip out system like rookie has in place of the clock.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts