Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats going on everyone? Today I went to change my oil, and as i pulled off the plastic protective cover under the engine I was greated with signs of a leak. I have 113K miles and have never had any mechanicle issues or overheating, so you can understand my suprise. The leak appears to be coming from the right side as there is crusted green coolant caked on there. Sadly I can not physically detect a leak ( meaning no signs of fresh coolant leaking) My resevoir was below the min line although my radiator was full. The heat blows hot and the AC blows cold, and my exhaust looks fine. My radiator cab also appears to be in good condition.

With the amount of coolant crusted over, i would have expected to overheat.
Would this be a clear indicator that my water pump is done? or how would i make a diagnosis?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2003 FX35 AWD with 113K miles..

·
Registered
2 Posts
DIY Fix for leaking Radiator: Mysterious coolant leak

This can be a life saver if you are short on cash, need a quick fix etc....

A decent fix to a nail or pin hole sized leak in radiator is to seal using JB WELD epoxy that has been sucked into the hole using vacuum pressure. I have use this method successfully and the fix has lasted over two years and still no return of the leak!

First drain the radiator completely, flush with water, then blow air through cap and out the radiator lower hose opening to dry out. Also heat the area of the hole with a blowdryer or torch to dry the inside. Then mix the two part epoxy and spread over the hole in the radiator. Use a vacuum cleaner hose attached to the radiator cap opening with other hoses attached. You are doing it right when the thick epoxy is slowly getting sucked into the hole in the radiator without tearing apart. Stop the vacuum and add a bit more epoxy to increase thickness of epoxy. Give it at least 12hours to dry. Then refill radiator with water to check the fix. I think you will find it is fixed and you can now refill with coolant/water mix. I works because the epoxy gets attached to both sides of the hole.

Silver1

Best Regards,

Desrt Roadrunner

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you find out where the leak is coming from? I have similar issue with my 2004 FX35 Infiniti but the leak seem to be coming from the top close to the cap as evidenced by dried out coolant around the cap that is spread around .
My immediate thought since I was unable to find any crack around the fill spout that the cap is loosing its pressure capability when temperature builds up. I have been topping off fluid every other day now and will soon need to thoroughly troubleshoot where the leak is coming from.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
It probably IS your cap... Get a new one for $30 and see if it fixes the problem. Since yours is an '04, you're probably more than due...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can you post up a pic of the leak? That would help narrow it down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I suggest that you remove any upper and lower covers and take a hose to the area to remove any coolant that might be there. Clean it as best you can, then let it dry completely. When the area is dry, start the car and let it warm up, keep the heater turned off. Once the engine is hot, have a good look to see if you can spot where the leak might be coming from. Look from both the top and bottom. There are a few lines on the backside of the radiator as well as a bleed screw. Hopefully it is just a loose screw or clamp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts