Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Not too long ago I posted that my engine's oil light came on. A rattling sound happened at about the same time. I got my servicing done and barely 4000 miles later my oil light is on again. I've already topped up the oil because I don't want to hear that rattling noise which I know is brought on by low oil levels. I just wanted to know if anyone else here has experienced their VQ engine's oil light come on?

I've been driving mostly highway for the past 4000 miles. A good mix of hard driving and easy driving (hard when there are on ramps, etc, easy when on the highway). I do engine brake by downshifting occasionally.

I've only began experiencing this after passing the 38000 mile mark. My car has 43000 miles on it now. Do you think my VQ engine is burning up oil? If yes, then how come it's doing so every 3750 miles?

I would doubt that it is my Motordyne 1/2" spacer or my K&N air intake. It shouldn't be my Nismo Exhaust or my grounding kit either. So could it be? Oil leak? I don't see any oil on the ground where I've parked. I'll check my engine undertray later.

Please help. I will have this checked at the dealer as well. Just wanted to know what people had to say about it and whether anyone else is having their oil light come on.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I'm going to be monitoring mine now.
I switched to synthetic oil shortly after I got the car last August. I've got about 35,000 on it now. I just topped off my oil. I was down 3/4 of a quart in 5300 miles. I run it hard. Real hard.
I called a dealer and spoke to the service manager. They haven't had any complaints of anybody using oil, but as he said, the service people don't normally pull the dipstick and check the level before they pull the plug and drain it.
I've never had the light come on.

No smoke of any kind and nothing noticeable in the engine compartment.

I will say that running as hard as I do, I really don't see this as a problem at this point. Just something I'll be keeping an eye on.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well judging by the responses here I'm an isolated case. I'll monitor my car and ask the service guys when I have a chance to bring it in.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE

Ok.
Managed to find some time today to do an oil change myself because I wanted to find out how much oil I have in my engine since my low oil light came on and I topped it up with one full quart.

So I get under my car and remove the undertray and find some oil residue in the rear left portion of the tray. I look up and find that my AWD case which drives the front wheels is covered in the same residue. It seems to be pretty fresh oil. Probably the oil I topped up last week.

This is, without a doubt, not supposed to look like this. I'm calling in for a servicing and Infiniti will fix this. It should definitely be covered under warranty.

Anyways I remove the oil drain bolt and barely 2.5 quarts came out. This is after I topped up my oil... Which makes me wonder exactly how little oil I had in my engine. I hope I did not do any damage. My engine temp gauge gave me no indication of overheating and my car ran okay.

Anyways I've attached pics. There is definitely something wrong and oil is leaking from somewhere around my AWD case behind the filter.

Any ideas? I don't know when I'll have time to bring it in to service since my car is in NJ and I'm working in NYC, and service isn't open on the weekends. There also is no oil dripping from the car, I don't see a pool of oil under the car, and my friend who's holding the car for me doesn't either.

Help. :cry:

PICS:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
They can put a dye in the oil and track the leak and fix it,maybe someone local can recommend a dealer in north jersey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.