Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here is my first ever take on fiberglassing:

Building a sub to fit in the spare wheel cavity utilizing 2 JL Audio 6.5" speakers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Nice job! Looks like your off to a good start.
:D

·
Registered
599 Posts
Shajan! That's actually exactly what I was thinking of doing. Although I have absolutely no experience with such things. Do you think you could post up the materials and stuff you used and how you did it?

It actually looks good! :) well to me anyways, i'm a poor man like you. he he he.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Shajan,
hey man....looks good. dude where will u mount your amp ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

I bought 1 gallon of resin, 2 sheets each of 3'X3' fiberglass cloth and mat from Home Depot. A lot of cheap brushes. that's about it. I already had masking tape to line the spare wheel with. Used left over plywood for baffle though MDF would have been better.

I still have to finish it up but I test drove it in the FX with a cheap radio shack amp. (surprisingly it works with the balance signal but I had to keep the gain at minimum) and its a BIG difference from the stock sub. I've ordered a Xtant amp which accepts balanced line inputs.

Amp will be mounted on one of the flaps behind the rear seats. Once it is all done, I'll put up more pics and details.

·
Registered
302 Posts
hello,

looks like your off to a great start. Good luck with the rest of it. I am sure it will sound great when your done. Make sure the fiberglass is really think. When they did mine they did four layers and it is probably going to go back for 2-3 more. Also make sure the top is siliconed down really good so you get no leakage.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 4ty

I really like yor setup better :) but can't afford the space or the money :(

I have 4 layers all togeter and I think it's strong enough for the 2 JLs. Once I have the box assembeled, I'm going to paint the whole thing with thinned resin. This should seal it well.

·
Registered
882 Posts
from the pics it looks like you could have added a third speaker.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yo Shajan,
Could you tell me how much depth you have with your fiberglass enclosure? I was wondering if an 8 or a 10 would be able to fit (with cutting a hole in my cargo floor board too perhaps).

How's the install going? any more pics? Really love the idea, think i'm gonna do it to. Can I PM you for some help if I need? Thanks!

Ak1nza

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yo Shajan,
Hows it going man.. i am thinking of the same set up with one 12in Solobaric and remote punch control at the drivers seat.
Have you made any more progress ??

:lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry about the delay guys. We just added a new member to our family. My daughter was born on 04/02/04

I'll check for the depth as soon as I can. The reason I used 6.5s were because I still want to use the original tie down screw to hold the sub and spare down. Last week I did get the Xtant 3 channel amp. This one accepts balanced input and initial tests have been encouraging. I plan on using the other 2 channels for the front speakers. Waiting for the weather to warm up.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
shajan said:
Sorry about the delay guys. We just added a new member to our family. My daughter was born on 04/02/04
Congrats!

·
Registered
286 Posts
grats
enjoy 8)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Heya Shajan,
Just wanna know if you got along with your install? Must be hard with your daughter now. :p

Anyways I posted a while back about Phase Linear Subs which had a very low mounting depth. Good news is that Pioneer will be coming out with something very similar shortly in their Premier line of speakers. MSRP on the Pioneers will be $220, putting it into the range where I'm considering doing what you have done. The mounting depth of the Pioneers is 4" for a 10" sub.

:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry about the delay AK1

I just measured the box. Measured it from the hump in the center (see Pic), not adding the baffle it's 4.25". So your woofs will do fine. My baffle adds another 3/4". Any other questions, let me know.

Thanks to all for the good wishes. Mom and child are doing well :D .

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Belated, Cogratulations!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Sweet's.

Hey 4ty, that site rocks! I still didn't get the info I needed but I'm in contact with Jaak. He might be able to help me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
shajan said:
BELATED CONGRATS!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
congrats!!!! I will be doing this to my fx at some point. The top baffle where the subs are mounted should be made out of a MDF board to minimize reasonations. The wood fibers in natural wood travel in the same directions causing unwanted vibrations.

Nice job though!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts