Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the average temperature is in the mid-70s (instead of 80+) I can sure feel it in the gas pedal!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Living in Wisconsin, I too owe Mother Nature for my latest mod! Much better response off the line when the temp is in the 50's, 60's

Did your K&N add any noticeable improvement? I added it to my last few cars and didn't really notice the difference.....

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2003FX45 said:
Did your K&N add any noticeable improvement?
Um, well, um, ...

Honestly? Damned if I know- I got the +2 degree timing bump (I think you're new- search for the thread for more details) done at the same time, so I can't quantify it. I figure it can't hurt.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My God! It was 60-62 today, and it was like someone threw another 20-30HP under the hood! I don't like it when it gets that chilly out (17 years in Chicago winters will make you appreciate warm weather!) but oh, the things it does for my VK!

·
Registered
848 Posts
We've been getting 40s & 50s, and lovin' it. I'm off to Michigan tomorrow...hoping for another 20-30hp :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hmm maybe that's why my FX has been driving like a mad demon! I've only driven it in the cold, so can I expect to be slower this summer? And how safe is that +2 degree mod?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lovett said:
can I expect to be slower this summer?
You might luck out- consider that here in CA, we're stuck with gas that tops out at only 91RON Octane, plus it's mixed with junk (formerly EDTA, now various alcohols). The better gas you get in Der Vaterland might make the hot performance negligible (but cooler air is always a plus)

And how safe is that +2 degree mod?
Very. I and others have been running it for months now.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I just got the +2 degree advanced ignition timing completed today finally after hand-holding my dealership. Definitely what I expected in regards to better throttle response and a bit more pep from start. They didn't charge me anything. Also, on their Consult diagnostic unit , he moved the advance up to +5 degrees although didn't update the change. He stated that the option is there and would hold +5 degrees. Is this news as I had understood that +-2 degrees was the available range according to others here? Btw, this is on an FX45.

On another note, classsically +4 degrees ignition advance is typical of V-8 engines as a hotrod trick for around 5.0L engines. The "Initial Target Timing" is the menu item which we accessed. Any insights as to whether +4 degrees would be optimal? We're not hitting top speeds anytime soon or often for initial timing advances to be a detriment. Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I absolutely agree with your SB chevy(actually you said 5 liters) and +5 degrees.Street strip playing was not subtle(+2).
I was told that +2 was the max...Interesting and I agree,if you are not doing a top end pull and normally run good gas,no problem.

I will ask after the holiday..I am very curious!!!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
One another note, the service guys confirmed that the timing advance stays in memory with the ECU even if the battery is disconnected/reconnected.

Btw, I had a chance to test full acceleration @ around 60 degrees F this evening and wow, there is a significant difference in throttle response in the way the RPMS drive to redline. Revs build significantly quicker. It's like a minor ECU upgrade on revability. We just need a full ECU upgrade to get full optimization of power and air/fuel ratios throughout the RPM range.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well since I DO hit top speed often, that is my question, is this +2degree mod safe? Or were you guys refering to the +5mod as not being sfe for top speed? I don't think that I would go past +2 though.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
My Tech is injured(turkeyhunting?),so I will wait until Monday!

Ru your description is dead on,would not give this up for the world.Made a pass on my favorite hill last night and went through my mark at 100+,new it was 80.Given that full power runs are through 3rf,it could take the +4.

Lovett,if you could get it done there,absolute on +2(I have no idea on octane there),my car only sees 93,but 91 is all good.If you did +4,I would go colder(one range) and gap down a hair,all tried and true ways to around detonation.Ignition strong enough to fire clean.

Given that we have higher octane requirement than 35's,stiffer gearing,they obviously should have no problem either...but I do not want to talk about that :roll:

·
Registered
662 Posts
RU_MATRX said:
I just got the +2 degree advanced ignition timing completed today finally after hand-holding my dealership. Definitely what I expected in regards to better throttle response and a bit more pep from start. They didn't charge me anything.
You're lucky. Like I said on another thread, my dealer wanted $179. :evil: :evil: I never liked this dealer (Infiniti of Lisle) and this kind of business operation supports my opinion about them.

Regarding "mother nature mode", I agree with that. But I think around 50F helps the most. At night with temp around 35F, I think it didn't help as much though..

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: My latest "mod" comes courtesy of Mother Natur

Sheeee's Baaaa-aaack!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts