Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wifey had the car today as im trying to keep the milage down from my daily travels to bethesda. wouldnt you know it, i get the call at 3:30 that its hailing like all **** in chantilly. when she got home, i looked the car over and the hood and roof are peppered with a million tiny dimples :roll:

they are all small and you have to look at them in the right light, but there are dozens of them and a few are obvious.

<drink beer to ease pain> chug cheg </drink beer to ease pain>

anyone know how the shop would get rid of small dents like this?

i think im going to file a claim tomorrow and see if i can get a few of the other scrathes taken out too.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Oh, man. Really sorry to hear that; hurts just thinking about it...

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
bradical said:
anyone know how the shop would get rid of small dents like this?
Sorry to hear about your pain. :cry:

I think paintless dent repair is the most common method for hail damage. I also found this on the progressive.com site:

If your car becomes an unlucky victim of hail damage, you'll most likely need repair work done to remove the dimples left by the dents. Repair options include the conventional method done at a body shop or Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) -- a process involving specially molded metal tools that massage the underside of a damaged panel until the dent is removed -- which doesn't disturb your vehicle's factory finish and generally can be completed within a day.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Yikes! Sorry to hear that Brad... Agree w/ Particle, get PDR quotes and I'd check with your insurance company to see if they cover any of that. :(

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
I am so sorry...I feel you pain.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sorry to hear, hail storms are also very common out here in Texas. In the area where I live, there are about 5 places that does hail damage repair. If you plan on doing paintless dent repair, it cheaper if you call the mobile guys.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info everyone.

i almost wish the damage was worse because its just bad enough to annoy me, yet not blatantly obvious.

but, that is why i have insurance, so i called in today and ill get an insurance inspector out here to look at it and see what they think.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
...just to help ease the pain, after the "massage," give it a clear bra / what a mental image! :twisted: - what the hail was that all about? - btw Charley will be chasing Bonnie up the east coast tonite- sat. / find a garage all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Man, sorry to hear about your car, Yikes. :( The paintless repair sounds promissing. Clear bra would be helpful for future prevention. I'm still looking for a clear bra installer here in Nor Cal. anyone knows a good dealer around here? thx.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm not sure how clear bra would be helpful in preventing hail damage. Unless, of course, you put it on top of your roof.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PINITI-FX said:
...just to help ease the pain, after the "massage," give it a clear bra / what a mental image! :twisted: - what the hail was that all about? - btw Charley will be chasing Bonnie up the east coast tonite- sat. / find a garage all.
actually ... after the "massaging" i would probably want to take off the clear-bar :) ...the problem is i dont have one on in the first place :shock: my FX is all-natural 8)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Brad,

Sorry to hear about the damage! :( I was in my home when that storm buzzed through, fortunately for me, my FX was in the garage.

My Grand Prix was damaged in a heavy hail storm about four yrs. ago in Centreville. I took it in to the State Farm office, and was handed a check for $1900 to cover the damages, along with another $5k to repair the roof on my house. There were small dimples all over the car that mostly disappeared over the next few days. The worst damage was to the hood, and I considered just replacing it, but never did, and now you'd have to look VERY closely to see anything. I could check with some other folks I know who were caught in that storm, but I'm out of town until the 21st...just flew to Vegas this morning.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
old body shop trick (don't know if it actually works): but i heard that if you let your car sit out in the extreme heat and then disperse a big bag of ice over the dented area, you can actually hear the dents pop back in place..... please, someone give it a try and satisfy my curiosity.... i understand its a matter of physics.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Sorry to hear about your damage, hope everything is cleared up and shiney as ever.

Jim

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
finsfx said:
old body shop trick (don't know if it actually works): but i heard that if you let your car sit out in the extreme heat and then disperse a big bag of ice over the dented area, you can actually hear the dents pop back in place..... please, someone give it a try and satisfy my curiosity.... i understand its a matter of physics.
now that sounds interesting!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have friend that owns a bodyshop and he uses dry ice. It works. Start at the outside edge of the dimple/dent and work toward the center.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
848 Posts
bradical said:
finsfx said:
now that sounds interesting!
Brad...he's right, depending upon the severity of the damage. Virtually all of my dents were gone within a month, and that storm was much worse then the one you just got stuck in. I'd still take it in to see if the insurance company would cut you a check...it may just work out to be cash in your pocket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts