Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home last night and came to a stop light. Once the light turned green, I pressed on the gas and the car completely died!

I turned the key and I didn't get so much as a hiccup from the starter.

Also had no power to interior accessories, but for some reason the headlights and hazard lights continued to work.

For reference, I have a 2004 FX45 with a brand new stereo system. While the stereo system does not draw huge amounts of power, my best guess is one of the following:

1. It's a fluke
2. A fuse blew
3. My new stereo drained the battery and the alternator couldn't charge it

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Your stereo couldn't have drained the battery while you were driving. Everything runs off the alternator when the car is running. The battery is basically for starting only.

If you had a dead battery, you would have no (or very dim) lights, interior stuff, etc. The fact that you had lights but no interior stuff is weird. Even if it is a fluke, i'd have the dealer check that. It is unsafe. What was the outcome?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Check your fuses, if you just installed the stereo recently it may have been wired up improperly, a wire may have come loose or it may not be properly grounded all of which could have caused a blown fuse that is tied into some of the main electrical on the car.

I would just go fuse by fuse pulling each one out 1 at a time to check if its blown out.

if you find one that is blown reference your car manual to see what electrical system its tied to.

I have had my stereo blow out fuses before and the most random things will stop working, for instance I have one fuse that is tied to my cigarette lighter, power seats and side rear view mirrors.

I agree with the other post, it doesn’t sound like its the battery or the alternator since the head lights continued to work without dimming.

good luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had my fx45 die... no power anywhere inside and nothing when I turned the key. Had it flatbedded to the dealer and they claimed it was a bad ground connection. They redid the main ground cables in the engine compartment and all I know is that it has run fine since. They claimed it's happened a number of times. Since everything runs through the body computer, it could have been the case.

Gary...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Die

When I first bought my FX it suddenly died one day, the ignitions would not turn or anything. Dealer replaced the ECU

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
<insert sound of frantic knocking on wood here>

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked up my car last night. It was just a blown fuse.

What happened is that the stereo shop (actually quite a reputable place that specializes in high-end exotics) put too powerful of an amp on the fuse. There was an excessive current draw when I was blaring my music, and poof went the ignition fuse.

Unfortunately, it's a specialized fuse that you can't just go down to Pep Boys for. Even the dealer had to special order the fuse! $14 and 2 days later I'm in business.

Took the car to the stereo shop, they apologized profusely, fixed the amp, and of course paid for my trouble.

That being said, I'll bet that mine is the best stereo system in any Infiniti anywhere!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I want to see this stereo set up now...

·
Registered
81 Posts
h00kemh0rns said:
I want to see this stereo set up now...
Agreed... especially with the USC reference in the name tag :lol:
(Don't get me wrong, I got a 2nd degree from SC... easiest grades I ever got - "Pay yer fee, Get yer B!")
:wink: :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ShadyJC said:
When installing the amp they didn't put a dedicated amp fuse by the battery to prevent this?????
This shop has done 4 of my cars in the past, and they are really the best in the business.

I am friends with the owner, so they were using my car as a guinea pig for their new Nissan/Infiniti lineup. They were not really following protocol during their "testing" phase.

The beauty of the install is that you can't tell anything was done to the car. It looks completely bone stock, but the car produces the most amazing sound of just about any stereo system out there. :D

They have a package available for the FX & Murano now. If anyone is interested in hearing mine, let me know. Also, for sales information on the stereo system, call Rick Reus @ Reus Systems in Orange. (714) 633-6636.

http://www.reusaudio.com

·
Registered
81 Posts
Now I'm really interested - How much was the install? Did they get rid of the spare?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Does it completely integrate with the Tech package? I don't want any aftermarket stuff hanging off anywhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kcrudup said:
Does it completely integrate with the Tech package? I don't want any aftermarket stuff hanging off anywhere.
It is completely integrated with nothing "hanging off anywhere".

The only cosmetic change to the interior is that the rear shelf that covers the spare tire has to be raised about 1/2". This is done in a very stealth way, and you wouldn't even notice if you weren't looking for it.

All amps are hidden, and there is no loss of interior space or utility.

With respect to the spare tire, nothing changes except that the Bose woofer is removed and a custom 10" driver is installed. I will post pics as soon as I have an opportunity.

As for cost - since mine is a prototype/1 of a kind, there has been no established price. I will say that this is a true hi-fi system and cannot be compared to anything that Circuit City sells. If you want a $1,000 speaker swap this is not the system for you.

If you have heard of McIntosh, Focal, and MB Quart...now you are thinking in the right range of quality and price. The system won't be dirt cheap, but it is worth every last penny. After all, I have had 4 Reus sytems in various cars!

It's worth a call to Rick. I posted his local # last time. Here is a toll-free # 800-276-8865.

I am in So Cal / Orange County if anyone ever wants to listen.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
trojanman said:
If you have heard of McIntosh, Focal, and MB Quart...now you are thinking in the right range of quality and price
For those of us who haven't, what kinds of numbers are we talking about? (Speaker swaps cost a grand?!)

I am in So Cal / Orange County if anyone ever wants to listen.
I work in Lake Forest and Irvine mostly during the week. Call me at 310 391 1898 and we can set up a time; I'd love to hear it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.