Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i haven't drive my car for about a week, but i did start it two days ago for 15 minutes to warm it up. this morning i went to start my car, the battery was dead. jumped started went to work, 8 hours later battery was dead again... had a coworker jumped for me then i went to pump gas; took about 3 minutes. yep once again my battery was dead..... man i am so mad, i had to jump start my car THREE times in less then 12 hours. so now i'm debating if i should get it replace under warranty or get a better one and pay for it. i'm leaning toward an Optima, but a lot of people say it's a PITA to have it installed. If this happened to you, what will you do????

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
WB this just doesn't sound right. Your battery is less than 3 years old right? It shouldn't go like that.

There are better mechanics than I on this site but I'm wondering about your electrical system. Alternator or do you have something draining the system? A light you forgot to shut off or something (we all do it)?

Unless you're in the Arctic or the Mojave I just can't figure less than 3 years on a battery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my car is only 6 months old and has about 5k miles on it. well, it has been kind of cold here in Minnesota. i did forget to turn off a light and let it died twice before, so i don't know if that had anything to do with it. i am positive that i did not leave anything on.

·
Registered
361 Posts
6 months only? I would warranty it with dealer. Save money. Optima is nice but not neccessity, especially for such young car. Also, yeah, other posts about Optima say its pain to put in/take out. :/

Good luck. Hope you pull thru Minn. winter.

·
Registered
509 Posts
wblakes said:
i did forget to turn off a light and let it died twice before, so i don't know if that had anything to do with it. i am positive that i did not leave anything on.
You have discovered the difference between a cranking battery and a deep cycle battery. When a conventional cranking battery is completely run down (called deep discharge) the battery never completely recovers (the more it happens the shorter the life). On the other hand a deep cylce battery like I use for trolling motors and my travel trailer are made to take the abuse (they have a lot more lead in them and cost a lot more). However, deep cycle batterys can't produce the high cold cranking amps needed to consitently start a car.

My FX and Tahoe has a battery saver feature, if I leave the lights on or dome light on, it will shut everything down after a period of time to save the battery.

Battery's don't last forever, and extreme temperatures are the enemy. :( As I've commented before, in Phoenix we're lucky to get more than a year out of a cheep battery, that's why we replace with Optima (and no I don't have ties to Optima, just a fan). 8)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i went to the dealer today, and they replaced my battery. the tech said my battery was half dead, that's why it won't hold any charge. hopefully i don't have to go through this again.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
wblakes said:
I did forget to turn off a light and let it died twice before, so i don't know if that had anything to do with it.
Whoa- we (at least the Tech models for sure) have "battery-saving lights", which is a system that turns off all the lights (internal and external) if left on. Perhaps that system isn't working for you? Check your "SETTINGS" if you have Tech.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kcrudup said:
wblakes said:
I did forget to turn off a light and let it died twice before, so i don't know if that had anything to do with it.
Whoa- we (at least the Tech models for sure) have "battery-saving lights", which is a system that turns off all the lights (internal and external) if left on. Perhaps that system isn't working for you? Check your "SETTINGS" if you have Tech.
yeah, i don't have "TECH" on my car. i guess that's why my battery is dead now.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
wblakes said:
i did forget to turn off a light and let it died twice before,
When a battery has been fully discharged, it will never regain a "full" charge from the alternator. It really should be put on a trickle charge overnight or for at least 12 hrs. to get it back to as best as it's going to be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.