Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Purchase/Lease/Financing
Here I did very well. Bought the FX on VPP, turned in 1 year old G35 and paid cash for the difference. My trade - also purchased via VPP - was paid for too; so all in all I did as well as one could hope.

2. Fuel
On 12-5-03 I was filling up premium @ Shell on Providence Highway in Norwood at a cost of $1.63/G. Same station charged me yesterday $2.07/G for it. That's a 27% bump in cost. The annual fuel bill came up to $1289.88 which translated into 10500 travelled miles.

3. Maintenance
Took the vehicle in for service at 5K and 10K mile intervals for a total cost of $202.25. I could've done much better here, but was busy to shop around.

4. Insurance
I carry a 2-car homeowner policy and am eligibile for a couple discounts. One is a business partner discocunt, another in the form of below-average-rate for residing in the beautiful people neighborhood. However I have 4 speeding tickets which most likely cancel out my savings, if not worst. So the cost of insuring the FX alone comes up to $2719

5. Taxes, Fees
In the People's Republic of MA the state collects money not only in the form of sales tax @ a time of purchase, but also every subsequent year via excise tax. Should you be so blessed to have your auto registered here, you'd be paying up. My 1st year excise tax came up to $872.50. I also paid $41 for the tag and $29 for the state inspection sticker.

In other words, to be able to legally and safely drive this vehicle in MA for 1 year I had to shell out $5153.63. That's without factoring in the amount of the sales tax which I had to pay once and only on the difference - thank Gawd - so you won't hear me b!tch about that :twisted: . OK, I showed you mine - now let's see yours :oops: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
05fxguy said:
pudicus said:
So the cost of insuring the FX alone comes up to $2719
:shock: :shock: :shock:
I've heard that MA has the highest insurance rates in the country...but, jeez!...I'm paying less than half that, and yes, I've got tickets on my record too (along with multiple discounts).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Here tis...

1. Purchase/Lease/Financing
Bought in April 04 +$500 over invoice, $3000 down 2.9% finance

2. Fuel
10 fillups so far. Total ~$420. That included a trip to Austin.

3. Maintenance
Only had 3K service, oil change. $35 Lost a rear tire to a "really bad Nail" $200

4. Insurance $1020. for the year.

5. Taxes, Fees
G.W. Bush signs State Tax laws bill.... I get to deduct my FX's taxes this year. I also paid $41 for the vanity tag and $29 for the state inspection sticker.


FX is doing much better than my Jeep. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
FromHereToInfiniti said:
I've heard that MA has the highest insurance rates in the country...
Actually I believe that honor would belong to the great state of New Jersey... paid ~$3900/year for 93 Lexus SC400 in 1997.

Here in CA my FX only costs me $827 per year with full coverage ($500 deductible) but that's getting every known discount I could find - 2-cars, home, PEL and being entitled to an "employee discount" of 10% or 15% since my insurance company is one that my parent company used to own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
pudicus said:
for 1 year I had to shell out $5153.63.
Ah, bite me! That's only $300 more than my yearly insurance costs!

My breakdown: 12 months (I didn't get my first bill 'till the end of December) x $1210/mo : $14520

Insurance: $4900

Service intervals: 7.5/15/22.5 K, total: about $500

Gas: an average of 13MPG over 27,500mi at a (conservative) average of $2.30/gal: $4800

Total: $24640. Good thing I love this car and do a'ight for myself!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kcrudup said:
pudicus said:
for 1 year I had to shell out $5153.63.
Ah, bite me! That's only $300 more than my yearly insurance costs!

My breakdown: 12 months (I didn't get my first bill 'till the end of December) x $1210/mo : $14520

Insurance: $4900

Service intervals: 7.5/15/22.5 K, total: about $500

Gas: an average of 13MPG over 27,500mi at a (conservative) average of $2.30/gal: $4800

Total: $24640. Good thing I love this car and do a'ight for myself!


I don't get it. Shady pays the equivalent of a couple dinners @ 5-star hotel for his insurance, yet you pay what amounts to the price of a used Buick. WTF ? I suspect with those kind of expenses you're well past the phase where otherwise you might've experienced $$$ pain. So why not just go and get one of these http://www.supercarsite.net/image.php?n ... _gt_06.jpg I sh!t you not. Because what's the purpose of getting bled dry without glory ? Besides, in a Maser babes would be practically throwing themselves atcha :twisted: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
pudicus said:
yet you pay what amounts to the price of a used Buick. WTF ?
Two tickets, living in Los Angeles, not having car insurance before this one ('cause I was renting cars thru the business) and racking up the kinds of miles I do all conspire against me when it comes to insurance costs. In January, when both tickets have come off my license, and it should drop to more reasonable levels (but I suspect it'll still be high).

So why not just go and get one of these http://www.supercarsite.net/image.php?n ... _gt_06.jpg Because what's the purpose of getting bled dry without glory?
I suspect my costs with one of those would be far higher than $25K/yr- and I don't consider that being "bled dry"- I did all the math before I bought the far.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
256 Posts
16 months ago Today
Placed Order @ $100.00 below invoice

12 months ago Today
Took Delivery w/ 1.9% IFS Financing

Today
10841 miles
749.178 gallons gas
14.47 mpg
$1486.06 gas
$1.98 avg per gallon
$4,244.76 miscellaneous support & mods
$1,276.20 insurance
$0.00 maintenance costs (through 9 mo service)

:new-bday: To My FX !!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,122 Posts
HAHAHA

What you spend keeping up your fx for the first year, I spent that the first month I got mine just in parts.

Jim :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
pudicus said:
In other words, to be able to legally and safely drive this vehicle in MA for 1 year I had to shell out $5153.63. That's without factoring in the amount of the sales tax which I had to pay once and only on the difference - thank Gawd - so you won't hear me b!tch about that :twisted: . OK, I showed you mine - now let's see yours :oops: .
I just hit the 6 month mark so I'll have to wait a while for a true one year costs - however I want to point out that fuel costs (your item #2) is a REQUIREMENT to drive your vehicle PERIOD; it has nothing to do with legality or safety.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Wow, these insurance numbers are unbelievable. Tennessee is $860 per year for FX insurance. My wife's 03 Maxima is much higher ($1100) for a car that cost 10k less!!!

Figure that one out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
haganjeff said:
Wow, these insurance numbers are unbelievable. Tennessee is $860 per year for FX insurance. My wife's 03 Maxima is much higher ($1100) for a car that cost 10k less!!!

Figure that one out!
Much more is involved in insurance rates than we have acces to here. How old is the driver? What kind of driving record does the driver have? What discounts have been applied (e.g. multi-car, house, defensive driving, non-smoker, non-drinker, vehicle usage, etc, etc)? Are there younger drivers (under 25) in the house (if so what are their discounts?)? Is the car garaged or not? How much coverage does the driver have? What liability limits does the driver have? How long has the driver been with that company? :?:

Just saying my insurance costs $XXX does not say much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
msu79gt82 said:
pudicus said:
In other words, to be able to legally and safely drive this vehicle in MA for 1 year I had to shell out $5153.63. That's without factoring in the amount of the sales tax which I had to pay once and only on the difference - thank Gawd - so you won't hear me b!tch about that :twisted: . OK, I showed you mine - now let's see yours :oops: .
I just hit the 6 month mark so I'll have to wait a while for a true one year costs - however I want to point out that fuel costs (your item #2) is a REQUIREMENT to drive your vehicle PERIOD; it has nothing to do with legality or safety.
I was actually refering to the maintenance aspect. In that in order for one to be able to travel safely on public roads his/her vehicle has to be maintained at a reputable service facility. So far as fuel costs are concerned, I always have an option to buy gas from a no-name establishment run by the me-speak-no-English folks saving myself a nickel-plus on each gallon in the process. However, in that scenario the possibility that my engine may decide to start acting up while I'm doing 90MPH on a highway shouldn't be ruled out. Therefore I'm willing to pay premium for a name brand gasoline - Shell in this particular instance - and not worry about it. So technically the original statement was still accurate. You got anything else for me, Johnnie Cochran :twisted: ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
pudicus said:
I always have an option to buy gas from a[n] ... establishment run by the me-speak-no-English folks
<snort>

That's your only alternative if you live in California! I don't think I've ever been sold a drop of gasoline from anyone with a name like "Murphy" or "Smith" or "Johnson" since I got here. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Bought my 2004 FX35 AWD a year ago today.

Here's my ownership cost report:

12,842 miles
681.5 gallons gas
18.8 mpg overall
Worst MPG = 16.3 (super cold in December)
Best MPG = 22.8

$1,428 gas
$2.09 avg per gallon. Some 87, Some 91 octane.
$580 insurance/year
$70 for license tags (vanity)

$97 / 3 oil ch + 1 rotate

KBB reports $4170 in depreciation from what I paid.

So, very reasonable cost of ownership. My last car was a Montero, which averaged 17 mpg (10% lower than FX) and my insurance bill was nearly halved by going with the FX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
I just got a quote for my FX here in NYC and it would cost me $2500 per year. That would be 100% increase over the premium in IL. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
25 yr old in NYC/Long Island area, clean record,

Insurance is $2600 for the year
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top