Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you have used Mr Clean AutoDry and I'm starting to see commercials for it on the tube. I have a black FX that will clearly show water spots if I don't hand dry it (and hand drying sucks IMO). So my questions are:

1. Is Mr. Clean worth it?
2. How many washes do you get before you need new supplies (filters, soap, etc.)?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
particlefx said:
I know some of you have used Mr Clean AutoDry and I'm starting to see commercials for it on the tube. I have a black FX that will clearly show water spots if I don't hand dry it (and hand drying sucks IMO). So my questions are:

1. Is Mr. Clean worth it?
2. How many washes do you get before you need new supplies (filters, soap, etc.)?
I got it and am not too impressed. While it DOES work pretty well, it uses WAY too much soap and the filter doesn't last very long before it needs replacing. I found that while it can reduce the amount of manual labor (I have to wash, dry, then go over my black FX with Z6 to get waterspots off), it takes just as long b/c the filtered spray is pretty slow and the FX is big. Plus, unless you REALLY go over it super well with the filtered spray, there will be minute water spots and soap film left behind which you have to go back over and wipe off anyway. I've started washing my FX inside the garage and I can get it done and dried without spots; if you are in any kind of daylight outside, forget it, spot city. Plus, I'm pretty ticked that I paid nearly $40 to get it befor it hit stores (which wasn't supposed to be until Feb) and started seeing it in stores in Dec for $19.99. There's a year satisfaction guarantee; I think I'll be getting my money back.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
it takes about 10 minutes to hand dry with a shammy. there is NO substitute IMO, becuase not only does it get off the water, but it also removes any other debris and soap, etc that still might be there.

8)

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback -- I suspected it was too good to be true.

I've used shammys too but I don't think I could ever do a satisfactory job on the FX in 10 minutes. Maybe I'll try shammys again because it currently takes me about 30 minutes with cotton towels (lots of cotton towels). Not sure why you have other debris and soap left after rinsing it though. Don't you get streaks and scratches? :?:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
particlefx said:

I've used shammys too but I don't think I could ever do a satisfactory job on the FX in 10 minutes. Maybe I'll try shammys again because it currently takes me about 30 minutes with cotton towels (lots of cotton towels). Not sure why you have other debris and soap left after rinsing it though. Don't you get streaks and scratches? :?:
i recommend the absorber (mac. wasahble)...

do door sills, etc. with towels....

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I used to use the Absorber, but now swear by large waffle-weave microfiber towels. If the Absorber picks up even one particle while drying, there are no pockets or pile in the material to pull it away from the paint and you could potentially make fine scratches (probably unnoticable on any color but black). Absolutely nothing touches my paint but the finest microfiber except for zaino removal which I use 100% cotton bath towels.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
I used to use the Absorber, but now swear by large waffle-weave microfiber towels. If the Absorber picks up even one particle while drying, there are no pockets or pile in the material to pull it away from the paint and you could potentially make fine scratches (probably unnoticable on any color but black). Absolutely nothing touches my paint but the finest microfiber except for zaino removal which I use 100% cotton bath towels.
lemme expand....

i use the absorber on the hood, then roof, then side panels...

i dont use it on the lower 1/3 of the car (microfiber is a must) and if it hits the ground, its done for (time to wash)

i agree (esp. with your color MGFR) that it is risky, but i am extremely cautious with the absorber, and have a very tough protective layering of meg. 7 and 26 (with the application of the spray-wax detailer done several times a week)...

i used the absorber on my black mustang years ago as well, and had good results; the b16 paint, with very dense metallic flakes, is very good at camoflaging inconsistencies, etc)

i can also say though, i use alot of micro fiber towels in the process, as they tend to wear out pretty fast (pile ends get damaged, cauing them to be less soft/fresh)

seems we all have a very set routine of carcare...(ritualistic , kinda)

eS

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
esemes said:
seems we all have a very set routine of carcare...(ritualistic , kinda)

eS
It's an illness unto itself. That combined with the Mod Bug makes for a dangerous combination.

My wife is going out of town this weekend; I'll be spending the entire time in the garage clay bar-ing and applying at least six coats of Zaino.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I use a California waterblade to remove the majority of the water and a 100% cotton towel to finish it off....no water spots.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've used shammys too but I don't think I could ever do a satisfactory job on the FX in 10 minutes. Maybe I'll try shammys again because it currently takes me about 30 minutes with cotton towels (lots of cotton towels). Not sure why you have other debris and soap left after rinsing it though. Don't you get streaks and scratches? :?:[/quote]

I used to swear by chamois but switched to a German made synthetic towel called P21. This is the same maker that makes the excellent wheel cleaner. I now use nothing else. It is about 1 square foot in size and folds into a plastic case. The towel must be kept damp prior to folding. You have to try it to believe it. One towel lasted me three years.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used to swear by chamois but switched to a German made synthetic towel called P21.
My wife reminded me that I bought two of those a few years ago for my BMW. I used them once and didn't feel like they worked very well. Guess I'll go give them a try again (that is unless they dried out while in the plastic case). :oops:.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Do you have a leaf blower? If not go get one!

Not a weenie one, but one with a big blow to it.

No , I am not joking. Just try it.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
GEAUX said:

You know, I tried that back when I had my Honda; didn't do too bad. I may try it on the FX today to get the big stuff off before I hit it with the drying towel.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
GEAUX said:

ALWAYS used on when i lived up north; to get the water off (before it would freeze); smethimes though, the blower would cause the water to freeze up anyway.....

its a very effective 1st step tool, imo.........

also, the neighbors will think you're certifiable........ (if they didnt already!)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
particlefx said:

the car looks perfectly clean when im done, but using a shammy i can see bits of additional water residue that is left over with the rinse. it comes off on the shammy and then i just rinse it out.

i can do my whole car in about 10-15 minutes tops. i usually do a quick round or two on the top portion of the car inclusing the windows (which hold a lot of water) to get the major portion of the ater off. i wring out the shammy and then do a detailing on the same parts. basically the "twice - over" seems to be the fastest and best results for me :)

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts