Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to move with the FX out of state and I am trying to figure out how to do it.

I have quoted out prices at UHaul etc for a moving truck, but all of these "car carriers" do not support the FX.

I also looked into renting a trailer and towing with the FX, but I can't find any trailers bigger than 5x8, which will not fit our 1BR apartment stuff (King bed, sectional sofa, 2 bikes, etc)

Any experience or suggestions either on how to tow the FX, or how to tow more WITH the FX?

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Is there more than one person involved in the move? You said "our" apartment so I assume there is. If so, why can't you drive a small U-Haul truck AND the FX to the new location?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, we could...but the 2 problems with this are-

A) Cross-country....long way to caravan...lonely
B) $$$ - even at 22mpg, that's 120 gallons of gas = $400 bucks. Not to mention the extra miles on the FX, which is already 9500 miles away from the warranty being up.

So to answer, it COULD be done, but I'd rather find a way we could drive together and save some wear on the FX, or if we're gonna drive the FX, I'd rather not bring a 10mpg Uhaul along for the ride.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Well I would tell you to consider using a transport company to move the FX, but since you have a bunch of stuff to move anyway, you might as well get the U-Haul and tow the FX.

I'm not sure why the U-Haul trailers wouldn't actually work with the FX. I understand that for the full flatbed trailer, it states the vehicle being carried must not weigh more than 4,000 lbs. But is the extra 400-500 lbs of a "wet" FX going to cause the trailer to collapse? The dry weight of the FX35 RWD is only 4,100 lbs...perhaps if you drained most of the gas out that would get you closer to the limit. I highly doubt that an extra 200-300 lbs is going to cause a complete catastrophy. Just don't volunteer what kind of vehicle you are towing to U-Haul, because even if the vehicle was 4001 lbs they would say NO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there legality restrictions with that? i.e. rated by the DOT up to 4000 pounds?

What about throwing it on the back and letting it coast like a motorhome - does that not work? Does that still add mileage to the odometer?

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
sneezecake said:
Are there legality restrictions with that? i.e. rated by the DOT up to 4000 pounds?

What about throwing it on the back and letting it coast like a motorhome - does that not work? Does that still add mileage to the odometer?
Answers:
1) I'm sure the trailer has a max capacity assigned by the manufacturer and approved by DOT, but then again aren't speed limits legal restrictions assigned by the states? Does that mean people don't go over those restrictions? The max capacity is a CYA by the manufacturer. The trailer likely can carry a few hundred more pounds without problems. If it was an exact science, the trailer would be rated at 3,941.25 lbs, not an even 4,000. I'm just telling you my 2 cents, if it was me and I needed to move my FX, I would get it as close to the 4,000 lb limit and tow the **** thing.

2) Are you talking about towing the FX on the ground behind the U-Haul? I think you'd have to mount a tow hitch to the front of the FX, and I'm not sure that little tow hook that screws into the front end is strong enough to tow it hundreds of miles across state lines.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have done this already and you will be ok.

Go to Uhaul and rent a truck with an auto transport. When they ask you what car you are going to tow just tell them a Toyota Corolla. Your FX will fit and drive fine. Just don't go over 55 MPH or else you will get waving of the trailer and you should not be towing any faster than that anyways.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
If you are considering hiring a company to move it, I HIGHLY recommend these guys http://www.goldenkeyexpress.com/files/index1.htm , they moved my FX from NY to California. They have consistent high ratings, great small company, not an agent and you can always know where your car is. Not sure if they will move cars elsewhere besides to and from CA, though.

Also, this is THE place to get moving information about big moves, Check their forum and ask questions there. People there are as useful as peeps here!: http://www.movingscam.com/tosConfirm.sh ... php?&ua=na

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, I hate to revive an old thread like this, but I am in the same position as the OP (minus an extra person to possibly drive the FX.) I can save a ton of $$ if I can do it this way, so I'd really like to find a solution. I have been looking for a carrier that I can tow behind the rental truck, but cant seem to find one that is FX approved. Does anyone have some ideas? I know I could say I'm towing a different car, but would prefer not to go that route due to liability. If the OP is still around, I would appreciate an update on what they eventually decided to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
DO NOT flat tow your FX, or any AWD vehicle. You can't manually ensure both transfer cases are in neutral. Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am sure that you've already made the move, but I thought I'd offer up some advice if anyone was asking the same question. Depending on the distance of your move, some moving companies have towing abilities that come with their trucks. We used Long Distance Movers when we moved and needed to drive our car, but I did see that as an option when researching. Hope this helps!

** A

1 - 12 of 12 Posts