Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

Going to ask the question. Did a quick search and haven't seen any reports of scratched rims after a mount/balance.

If you followed my thread about the new Hankook tires you know we just got new tires and over-paid for the mount/balance IMO.

EXPECIALLY since I just found out they scratched EVERY rim.

My quesiton is, have each of you that have replaced your tires checked you rims (around the edge) and are they scratch free?

I guess today's phone call about price just changed. Dammit... Do I have "screw up my car" on my forehead? It never fails. :x

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
The two shops that I have used:
One is on the Tire Rack list(old friend) and he does Aston's ,Jags and Ferrari's and his equipment is very new and can handle 20" and larger(alignment is a special problem for most shops).
The second are the folks who sold me my rims and later tires,recommended by dealer(they do a lot of big bling)...no scratches.

Neither had to hustle for my business,yet both explained the need for special equipment

·
Registered
662 Posts
One of my wheels had a thin scratch after mounting & balance.

I decided to get over it. Wasn't worth of my time.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
topguy said:
One of my wheels had a thin scratch after mounting & balance.

I decided to get over it. Wasn't worth of my time.
The problem I have with that is that I went out of my way (35 mile drive) to pick this place because of their rep, and apparently paid a premium for 20" rims.

All of that to get the same quality work I could of gotten down the street at bubba's tire shop.

Dallace

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
lets see some pics dallace. im curious as to what/where these scratches look like :roll:

this is good info as i have hear of several folks having this happen (might have been over on FA) so we all need to go into our dealer or shop and confront them with this BEFORE they mount and balance.

i might have to come up with my own mini contract that they have to sign so that they have to reaplace the rims if they are scratched :p

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
dmtalon said:
Did a quick search and haven't seen any reports of scratched rims after a mount/balance.
Check FA- they've got such reports all over the place (incl. one this very week). It's making me wary, I finally get my KDW-2s this week.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I had some bad experience with NTB and Discount tires and no matter where I went... "Oh don't worry, we have the best Tech here in this location, we have the most expensive/intelligent machine, we've worked on Corvettes and many other lux car here, we won't scratch your wheels", front desk guy promised. Well, but sadly enough, he was NOT the one that phisically worked on my **** car. 2 out of 4 they scratched the **** wheels so now I don't expect any thing BEST from them any more.
Their price usually higher than Tirerack.com so I now order new tires from the Net and take to some ghetto or places that normally sell and work with big wheels. Only come to NTB or D/T if they cut me some $$$.
Oh boy, my OEM tires are runing low and **** I hate to deal with it again. Time to refresh my Kungfu.
:diabloanifire:

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it turned out that most of the scratches were not scratches at all. They were I guess "rubber" caked onto the rim. they looked/felt JUST like scratches and didn't come off with my fingernail.

After closer inspection (as I was getting ready to take pictures) I noticed that the marks were raised, so I got out the clay bar and went to down. I got all the "marks" off

Now the rims are still "scuffed" but nowhere near like they were. I'm much happier than I was originally. It may be hard to capture the "damage" now.

Next time the FX is clean and it's light out I'll try to take some pictures.

Dallace

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
dallace, i got my FX washed once at the dealer and when i got home every one of the center caps on the wheels were stained with what looked like some sort of grease that has permenantly discolored them. i tred EVERYTHNG to get the marks off and they didnt budge....then one day a few months later i stumbled into a half used Mr Clean magic eraser....i gave it a try,... and **** if it didnt get the marks off! :shock:

only problem was that i still had to scrub so hard, that it was right on the edge of taking the paint right off the covers!....it worked though and they look fine now

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just had some tires mounted on 20" stock rims I got off Ebay. Brought the tires, rims, and sensors down to the Infiniti dealer, and they charged me 80 bucks to mount and balance them, put the new ones on, bag the old rims/tires and put them in the hatch. Not bad and no scratches.

·
Registered
19 Posts
**** it...just had Hankooks mounted at a dealership about a week ago, was getting gas this afternoon and noticed that my front driverside rim is chipped. They're chrome, but it's like painted on Chrome, peeling off about 3 inches long. Now I have the pleasure of arguing with the dealer that they screwed it up and I want it fixed. Anyone else have this problem. They're not scratched, but rather looks like paint is peeling off beginning from under the tire. Not a mark on the tire and I know I didn't hit a curb. Should've inspected the **** out of them after they mounted the tires last week....

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I wouldn't put this entirely on the mounting and balancing of the tires. Some chrome plating will chip and peel, like paint would peel.

Are these aftermarket chrome wheels? Are these chrome oem or chromed oem wheels

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought this FX used this past year and assumed they were chrome, but it looks like chrome plating. Wasn't peeling before they mounted and balanced. They were in perfect condition. Any fixes or this is going to cost some $$$ if the dealership doesn't help out. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I would assume the chrome oem wheels are expensive because they are crhomed from the manufacturer which probably do it the proper way.

A lot of dealerships will do take offs and chrome them and charge extra for them. Who knows what process it was done by. Not saying Inifinit dealerships do it, but I know of a few toyota/lexus/honda/acura dealerships that do it this way.

If you can't see a point in the "mark" where a machine would have pressed against the wheel and scraped the surface, I doubt it is the mounting+balancing that did it. Not sure if you've watched the m+b process, if it's done right the rim is never touched by anything other than the tire. When it is touched by anything other than the tires it's usually a not so nice rubbing which usually produces gouges, and curb rash like markings.

I have seem chrome peel, it's still a little shiny underneath but no where near as shiny as the non peeled parts.

It could have been the bead of the tire as it was being mounted, which is unavoidable by the person mounting and balancing the tire. I'm not trying to discourage you, just giving some of my incite.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the help. Are there any companies or rim shops that might be able to fix? I'm assuming they'll have to rechrome the entire rim.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hope that you guys never scratch a rim, because its a bitch to replace. My tire place scratched my rim just trying to repair a flat. They were great though and offered immediately to refinish or replace the wheel. But that ended up being a 2 month nightmare. Went back and forth with the Infiniti dealership 4 times, went through every 20" FX wheel available and none would match my existing wheel. For some reason the shade is not matchable.

So I might have them refinish it which scares me or just credit me a few hundred bucks.

Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts