Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assuming it's "normal" (just some condensation from the evaporator harboring a colony of mold) and it goes away quickly enough, but is there anything I can do to eliminate it?

·
Registered
325 Posts
What I do is turn off a/c 5mins before shutting down the car, but I always forgot to do though :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
i just took mines in for 7500 service even though i actually like 9500 miles on it
LOL go figure.
i was experiencing a musty smell from the air conditioning so mentioned it to the service tech.
according to the tech they deordorize the AC system, whatever that means.
i will check the the service work sheets later to see if it mentioned any other specific proceedure.
so far the musty smell went away.

·
Registered
325 Posts
fxer said:
i was experiencing a musty smell from the air conditioning so mentioned it to the service tech.
according to the tech they deordorize the AC system, whatever that means.
Most likely they just spray some lysol into the vents

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yep, Grab a can of "Frigi Fresh "......i spray it into my air intake ( HVAC ) every once in a while. Kills lil bastds that grow in there ;)

http://www.carfood.net/bgfridsysdis.html

I use it on my wifes G35 as well.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I had the same problem for a while in my E class. I got the dealer to check it out they stated that when the car was guys was waxing my car and got some of it in the vent, it should wear out after a while. At least for me I changed to a new car wash place.

Jim

·
Registered
882 Posts
interesting...so where would you spray the frigifresh...ie where in the engine is the tube that connects to the ventilation.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
e39ng said:
What I do is turn off a/c 5mins before shutting down the car...
Actually, what you need to do is switch it from recirc. to outside air. G35 owners have experienced this problem as well.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MustGoFastR said:
Actually, what you need to do is switch it from recirc. to outside air. G35 owners have experienced this problem as well.
Interesting- 'cause I never started having this problem 'till it got to be over 80 out regularly, and I never put my HVAC on "recirc"- the computer does it when it senses the in-car temp's too high when I start it up after it's been sitting outside all day. Since I don't smell it in the mornings, I think the smell is coming from the recirc air path!

(Are you back home?)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
It's some kind of mold or mildew within the system that can build up when the system is left closed all the time (I've nnever had it happen). They say that once you get it cleaned, putting it on outside air for a few minutes flushes the system with fresh air and the problem will not re-occur. This sounds like a big pain, since when left on Auto, the HVAC does what it will and having to remember to manually do this just seems like a band-aid solution to me. I have heard of the problem on other cars as well, though, so who knows?

(I leave for home tomorrow afternoon :cry: )

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was watching Two Guys Garage, and they showed this product...

http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/radiator_foam.html

I have this same problem in my Subaru. Now if I can just find some place that sells it, I'll give it a try and let you know. Apparently you just spray this foam into the evaporator housing, let it sit for 15 minutes (it drains out) and turn the fan on for 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
KENNY-

the above advice is good. i have had the 'dirty sock' smell too (and my socks/feet weren't the culprit!lol)...

two things i recommend,

one is frigi-fresh, by BG products, OR any antibact. LYSOL will work, but not as well)

the other is to check your evap. drain tube. if it gets clogged, the mold spores willl grow activaely..... the way to unclog the tube is to use a hi-press (like the pump used to inflate your tires) air source, and shoot a blast into the draintube end.... you could also try a shopvac to 'suck' any blockage out,but i dont know if that'll work (need a funnel attachment for sure)

make sure you are getting the 'drip' on a reg. basis under the car, which is the condensation clearing.... then follow that drip upward, and you've found the outlet tuve....

good luck; its a pretty easy fix to a common problem...

eSE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts