Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you expienced FXers, I just ordered my new FX35, tour, tech, sport, 20" chromes... have seen some great mods on this board. what should I do first? If you can give me a few ideas on mod, rough cost, and if it is a DIY project, it would be much appreciated. I have been under a car a few times, but am not an experienced mech.
:roll:

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Welcome to the club :D

You have a lot of reading in the FX35 mod section.

STB is a good first.
New air intake
Then you have many decisions to make :D

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
My recommendation would be wait until you get the car, drive it a while and then decide if you feel the need to mod. In the meantime, read around; there have been several threads like this and there are many threads discussing all the mods in detail, so you should be able to determine the course of action that is best suited to you yourself.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Wilson, if TO, CA stands for "Thousand Oaks", maybe you can join in our LA area meet in Costa Mesa next Saturday, you can see a bunch of our cars and mods in person... see the Meets section.

·
Registered
329 Posts
i say

1. K&N filter - 5 min job i am not a car guy and have never been under the car and i did it costs only 45 bucks! (or do this after the first air filter goes out around 15k)
2. STB is awesome 8 bolts to take off and put on awesome handling
3. LOVE MY 10K HEADLIGHTS nice and SHINY makes FX stand out!
4. if youw ant u can get all white interior LEDs, back up lights, and license plate lights

this is all i have done to my car

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is the order that I mod on all the vehicles I have had.
First thing though before you start to mod - I would give the car a good break in probably around your first oil change (maybe this isnt neccessary but I always did it)

1. Air intake system/Amp and subwoofer(if bass is your cup of tea)
2. Exhaust
3. Wheels (if you have the cash)
Those are pretty much the major modifications , then I usually just get random things like STB , lights , springs , rotors (in your case there are tons of mods like unorthodox pullies and plenum spacer etc)

For me the intake/audio/exhaust are the "must have" mods first

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice so far,

Shady, I would love to be at the show, however I will be changing the 2 oil pan gaskets on my Nissan before I give it away... Can't make this one, but hopefully they will do it again soon.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Tint-- A must......
Cold air intake-- gives a nice boost as well sound, cheap, easy.
Stillen strut torsion bar-- Nice handling upgrade, cheap, easy.
Wheels--- If you want a different look. Looks are key... Expensive
Exhaust--- Sound and performance boost.. Sound is key.. Expensive..
Big Brake kit-- Performance and look upgrade. Lot's of brake issues on this board on FX's... Maybe solves problems but Expensive.....

MANY OTHERS.......

·
Registered
25 Posts
What type of mods?

The above replies are definitely mods that are worthy and great, but it seems like the definition of "mods" is obscure. What kind of mods are you interested in? Performace, as in HP and torque? Handling? Audio performace? Show and "bling bling" factor?

As Sweet FX said, take a look around in the forums. Everyone will have their own opinion, but it's your own opinion and choice that matters.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
UJMOT, you da 'man...........

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
thanks. :)

I forgot a very important go-fast mod:

Transmission mod - TC / Valve body / tranny black box mod. My guess is $$$$ on cost (Leave this to the pros). brnjug is the man to inquire about this mod (I think this mod's absolutely necessary if you're serious about speed)

EDIT - I already put on ECU up there.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Lot's of newbies have been coming out of the wooodwork asking about mods, so I've split Ujmot's big post off into a sticky in the FX35 Mods section to hopefulkly help out. I've quoted it below to maintain the continuity of this thread.

ujmot said:
1st congrats on getting your FX. I'll start by giving you a fair warning: Be very careful, this is an incredibly addictive hobby that sucks massive amounts of cash!

My recommendation: Prioritize your options since there are so many mods you can do to your FX. 1st determine if you're more into aesthetics (or audio) over performance (or handling) and vice versa.

$ = $1-250
$$ = $250-500
$$$ = $500-750
$$$$ = $750-1000
$$$$$ = $1000 & up
$$$$$$ = maybe you should consider buying a real sports car as a second car to fill your speed needs instead.

Almost all mods are (here's a new word for you:) DIY-able. Here's a list in the order I would do them:

Straight line performance:
1) Cold Air Intake/ Air Filter (Stillen, JWT, K&N) - $/$$ (DIY)
2) Z tube or equivalent (UR CF or Alum tube) - $ (DIY)
3) Plenum or Plenum Spacer (Crawford, Kinetix, Motordyne) - $$ (DIY)
4) Pulley (UR) - $$ (DIY; Pro install recommended)
5) Exhaust (Stillen, Custom) - $$$ to $$$$$ (DIY; Pro install recommended)
6) Headers (Crawford, DC, OBX, etc...) - $$$ (Pro install recommended = $$$$)
7) Hi Flo Cats (Crawford, Kinetix, etc.) - $$ (DIY; Pro install recommended)
8 ) Custom tuned ECU - $$ (DIY)

Extreme: Forced induction (supercharger, custom turbo)- $$$$$$ (Dont even think about doing this yourself)

Handling:
1) Strut Tower Bar (Stillen) - $ (DIY)
2) Lowering Springs (Eibach) - $$ (also Aesthetic) (Pro install recommended = $$$)
3) Wheel Spacers (H&R) - $ (also Aesthetic) (DIY; Pro install recommended)

Extreme: Light weight forged wheels & perf tires - $$$$$ (also Aesthetic) (DIY)

Braking:
1) Cross drilled/Slotted rotors (stock size) - $$ (DIY; Pro install recommended)
2) Brake pad upgrade - $ (DIY)
3) SS braided brake lines - $ (DIY; Pro install recommended)

Extreme: Big Brake Kit - $$$$$ (DIY; Pro install recommended)

Aesthetic upgrades:
1) Window Tint - $ (Leave it to the professionals)
2) HID bulb upgrade - $ (DIY)
3) Fog bulb upgrade - $ (DIY)
4) Clear turns/driving light bulb upgrade - $ (DIY)
5) Interior bulb upgrade - $ (DIY)
6) Grill - $ to $$ (DIY)

Extreme: Custom paint / body kit :?

Audio:
1) Custom Sub/Amp - $$ to $$$$$ (DIY; pro install recommended)
2) Front/Rear speaker upgrade w/ Amp - $$ to $$$$$ (DIY; pro install recommended)
3) MP3 player or Sat or DVD add-on - $$ to $$$$$ (DIY; pro install recommended)

This is only breaking the surface of what you can do..... anything is possible as long as there's enough money to support it.

and yes, I am bored today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.