Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my FX, I never thought of doing any mods. I figured why spend a reasonably big chunk of cash on a car, then spend even more with aftermarkets. Why'd I buy the car if I didn't like how it drove, performed, etc.?

Then I came across this forum. This is certainly a great place to share info on everything FX. And it got me thinking. I knew that my dealer was a fan of Stillen for G's. That had part of a Stillen G exhaust hanging on the wall behind the parts counter. I didn't occur to at first that they might be FX mod friendly. Then, my tire guy (who had a gorgeous modded G35c) convinced my why not.

A little while before Thanksgiving, I was in for my 7500 mile service. I mentioned to my SA I was thinking about some mods. I was already convinced I would go the intake route first (over the exhaust) for two reasons: 1) bigger bang for the buck; and 2) I was leery about the sound of the Stillen exhaust. Doug Stewart at Crawford convinced me on the dollar side. Turns out, my dealer had a Crawford v5 plenum (a black one) just waiting to be installed. (I mentioned earlier in a plenum topic how they try to keep one in stock.) The parts mgr reiterated what Doug had told me - a plenum will provide more torque earlier and for a lot less money than the exhaust.

So, sign me up. I made the appt to have the plenum, ZTube and Stillen intake installed. Once the intake arrived from Stillen, they instaled it and the plenum, but backed off the ZTube because of the mod required to make it fit. I gotta say, I was extremely impressed with the boost just the plenum and the intake gave me. Not knowing the numbers, I would say the increase had to be 15hp. And it sounded a lot better.

Last week the service mgr finally agreed to install the ZTube after he had more information about the fit. (They've installed plenty on G's.) Then, I got to thinkin' about the exhaust again. I really didn't want the FX to sound like a whiney modded WRX or Civic. My tire guy convinced me that the sound was great and the exhaust was the mod he liked best in his G coupe.

OK, sign me up again. I made the appt to have the ZTube and exhaust installed. All I had to wait for was delivery from Stillen. Well, it sounds great. There's another boost from it and the ZTube, but not nearly what the plenum gave me. Now, I can't recommend these mods enough!

When I dropped my car off Friday for this work, I had a nice conversation with the service mgr. I had been discussing the ZTube mod with the tech (complete with pics supplied by Sweet). Turns out, Ed, the service mgr has a racing background. He knows Doug Stewart and Jim Wolf. He got started with Infiniti mods by taking a G, having a dyno done, then installing mods, then re-dynoing. The results convinced him they were worth it.

I asked him about reflashing / updating the ECU. He's in favor (even mentioned Tadashi at Technosquare) of changes, but is hoping that JWT will come out with a chip for us down the road some. I asked him to let me know how that works out.

Just thought you might like to know...

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Rev,
That's great info - - really appreciate that!!! I've done "minimal" performance mods to my Coupe, and only small-scale cosmetic mods to the FX. But now, I may consider a plenum for the FX - - what the heck; you only go around once!!!!

Thanks (I guess) for planting the idea - - money comes, money goes!!! :(

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have talked my dealer into getting a dyno for a stock AWD '04. (See my dyno fiasco here http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=32619#32619.)

He obviously wants to sell FX mods, but without good dyno runs, has no way to market them. This would be a nice thing to know for all of us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts