Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a bad idea, so let me start off by saying that. Here's the situation though:

When I first bought my FX the dealer put two new tires (OEM Goodyears) on the front of the car and the rear two need to be replaced now, about 10k miles after the front were changed. Had I realized just how bad the old tires were I would have pushed to have all 4 done at the time, but I didn't and I'm kicking myself now.

I'd like to put some Yoko Paradas on, but no shop will put two different tires on one axle of an AWD vehicle. My questions are: 1) Should I do it anyway, and 2) will there be a problem if I put the OEM tires on even with a 10k difference in mileage?

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
My OPINION... I don't think either would be an issue. The shops are trying to sell you 4 tires instead of 2 because it's more money in their pocket. I don't buy into the theory of not mixing. I wouldn't do it but I don't buy it anyway. If you were talking about a race tire vs a street tire or a snow vs street tire, it'd be different since you'd be using completely different compound tires... but an RSA and Parada are similar enough that it shouldn't cause much problem if any at all. The *LITTLE* bit of problem I *MIGHT* expect would be unusual wear on one set of tires vs the other but I'm not so sure of that either

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kieranlavin said:
My OPINION... I don't think either would be an issue. The shops are trying to sell you 4 tires instead of 2 because it's more money in their pocket. I don't buy into the theory of not mixing. I wouldn't do it but I don't buy it anyway. If you were talking about a race tire vs a street tire or a snow vs street tire, it'd be different since you'd be using completely different compound tires... but an RSA and Parada are similar enough that it shouldn't cause much problem if any at all. The *LITTLE* bit of problem I *MIGHT* expect would be unusual wear on one set of tires vs the other but I'm not so sure of that either
Good call on the different compounds. I didn't think of that because I wasn't thinking they were all that much different at the end of the day. I'm with you if I were talking about a race tire and a snow tire or something drastic like that, but this is fairly close. I'll probably just end up with the OEMs again just to have a matching set and probably replace all 4 when it's time.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Skizza20 said:
I'll probably just end up with the OEMs again just to have a matching set
Have you priced the RSA's yet? OVERPRICED!!! You'd probably come ahead just replacing all 4 with the YOKO's...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearc ... =S&tab=All

Look at the price difference... $142 for the YOKOs and $267 for the RSA's... that's $125 difference PER TIRE... so buying all 4 YOKO's would be only be $34 MORE than buying just 2 RSA's...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DatMan said:
Skizza20 said:
I'll probably just end up with the OEMs again just to have a matching set
Have you priced the RSA's yet? OVERPRICED!!! You'd probably come ahead just replacing all 4 with the YOKO's...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearc ... =S&tab=All

Look at the price difference... $142 for the YOKOs and $267 for the RSA's... that's $125 difference PER TIRE... so buying all 4 YOKO's would be only be $34 MORE than buying just 2 RSA's...
Yeah, I did that exact same math (at Tire Rack, also). The only way I'd end up replacing only the two tires with the stockers is if I could get the dealer to give me a deal at cost. There's actually a slim chance that I can do that because I DID make a stink about an issue very early on and swapping the two tires is how they tried to placate me. If I would end up paying full price I'll just put 4 Yokos on and keep the two good tires that I have now in the garage or find someone who could use some cheap used tires or something. I can't toss them, they're barely used.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Skizza20 said:
I can't toss them, they're barely used.
You could always try to recuperate some of that $$$ in the FOR SALE Section...

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Some interesting opinions up there...

I wouldn't do it. I've had lots of AWD cars and it's common knowledge that you should use matching tires on AWD cars. Tirerack.com has an article which very nicely describes the 'why':
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=18

If you don't believe them because they're trying to *gasp* make MONEY selling TIRES (the nerve!) just read your owners manual. I don't know what year FX you're rolling, but this is right out of the manual for my oh three:
... it is recommended that all four tires be replaced with tires of the same size, brand, construction and tread pattern.
Faced with a decision between saving a few hundred dollars and ruining my drive train, I would easily eat the 3 Benjamins. Considering you can recover some cash for those barely used RSAs, you might only be looking at an extra bill to get a complete set of new, matching tires.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
daschlag said:
I wouldn't do it. I've had lots of AWD cars and it's common knowledge that you should use matching tires on AWD cars. Tirerack.com has an article which very nicely describes the 'why':
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=18
daschlag said:
... it is recommended that all four tires be replaced with tires of the same size, brand, construction and tread pattern.
I have to strongly disagree with any previous comments that you must use the same brand, construction, age, tread pattern, etc. of a tire. None of this matters to the AWD system. Why would the drivetrain care about the brand of tires you are using? The ONLY thing that the AWD system is concerned with is the continuity of all 4 tires rolling at the same rate -- when the ATESSA system notices one or two tires rotating at a faster rate than others, it thinks the wheels are going at different speeds, thus it "thinks" the faster wheels are slipping. However, all newer AWD systems are designed and programmed to have a narrow tollerance for variances between front and rear rolling speeds, which on our Nissans/Infinitis is approximately 3% before the AWD system will start throwing codes and AWD lights. Why? Because what if you get a flat and have to put a spare tire on? The nice new spare certainly isn't going to have the same wear pattern as the normal tires you drive on, it might not even be the same brand, and factually the left tire isn't even going to match the right tire on the same axle!! So to allow for slight variances, the system is designed to operate comfortably within a narrow margin. Even the Tire Rack article posted above states "Some vehicle manufacturers recommend that all tires maintain the same rolling radius and circumference, while others suggest that all tire circumferences remain within 1/4- to 1/2-inch of each other. Other vehicle manufacturers recommend that all four tires remain within 2/32-, 3/32- or 4/32-inch of each other, or within 30% of each other in relative remaining tread depth."

And I want to point out that what I'm proposing is minor stuff, like running two 265/50-20 tires of a different brand or different wear pattern. But the ATESSA system has such a well known tollerance for those 3% differences that there are many G35x drivers out there running STAGGERED wheels on their vehicles without problems:

http://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-tire ... -rims.html
http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v ... gered.html
http://g35driver.com/forums/v36-brakes- ... issue.html
http://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-tire ... tions.html

As long as the overall rolling diameter of the tires, front to rear, is nearly the same, nothing else really matters. I've always replaced both of the tires on the same axle at the same time as a good practice, but slight differences of 2/32 or 1% are well within the tollerances of this vehicle.

Verdict: What I would propose to the OP is to measure your Goodyear RSAs on the front and see what the remaining tread depth is. The RSAs come new with 10/32" tread depth, and an overall diameter of 30.4". And the Yoko Paradas you are considering come new with 11/32" tread depth, and an overall diameter of 30.6". If the difference between your current RSAs and the new Paradas is 4/32" tread depth or less (1/4" less overall diameter), I think you are fine. And that's well within the 3% variance......closer to 1%. Anything greater than 4/32, and you might as well get all new tires anyway since those RSAs are crap. :D

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
I knew there would be some strong opinions in both directions :)

Like I said, I don't buy the whole same tire argument. As Steve said above, same approximate size and I'd be good with it.

From the Tirerack article:

This necessitates that four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles use tires that are very closely matched.

They don't say EXACTLY matched; just very closely.

Mixing tire brands, tread designs and tread depths may cause components in the vehicle's driveline to fail.

MAY... it also MAY NOT

And, they say, when you *NEED* to replace just one tire because a tire is out of service, they offer a convenient service (for extra $$$) to shave tires to the correct tread depth.

Like I said above, I believe the biggest factor is that the tires have approximately the same level of grip and you're not matching a race tire with a street tire or something along those lines.

The Tire Rack article is a sales pitch IMO. Tire Rack is good and all but them publishing articles like that is conflict of interest.

Going above and beyond Steve's links above with staggered wheels/tires on G35's and G37's, it's the same thing with the GTR. Nissan and everyone were warning owners that the tires had to be exactly the same as they came stock. Bullsh*t. Several GTR owners have replaced their wheels and tires with the same size all-around. The stockers were staggered but the overall diameter was the same and thus they were ok. But everyone's "recommendations" were to use the same as stock. I researched it and helped a friend chose race tires and he's been running them for a year and a half now with no issues and his dealer even knows that he tracks the car.

IMO I've still seen no convincing evidence that you absolutely need to match the exact same brand and type of tire all-around

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
kieranlavin said:
Like I said, I don't buy the whole same tire argument.
I don't really care about it either... just that the RSA's suck @$$ and are WAY overpriced... the OP would already prefer having the YOKO's so why not just get them instead... once he sells off the 2 RSA's he's got, he'll probably end up spending LESS $$$ than buying 2 RSA's to match his current set up... another option would be to just get 2 YOKO's first... see how it goes... if there's something you don't like, then buy the other 2 a week later and then sell off the RSA's... or if everything seems fine to you, burn off these tires and buy a new set whenever that is...

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
When i had mixed match of front&rear tires every time i hit the ramp from the HWY at higher speed(60km) i
would get SLIP/VDC light kicking in and trying to correct. Fronts were really low on the tread and rear were brand new.

Replacing the all 4 tires resolved my problem and also i needed a reason go get rid of sr-a on the rear.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22474

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Bokito said:
When i had mixed match of front&rear tires every time i hit the ramp from the HWY at higher speed(60km) i
would get SLIP/VDC light kicking in and trying to correct. Fronts were really low on the tread and rear were brand new.
Lets say you had the stock Goodyear RSAs on your FX -- brand new they have 10/32 tread depth and overall diameter of 30.4 inches. So if the fronts were "really low"........lets say 2/32........then they would have a tread depth 8/32 less than stock, or in other words 1/2 inch smaller overall diameter. What I mentioned above was that 4/32 or 1/4" variance between the front and rear tires is within the tollerance of the ATESSA AWD system. But running 1/2 inch variance, as you experienced, could mess with the AWD system and make it think something was slipping.

I don't think anyone here is advocating running worn tires with brand new tires. :idea:

·
Registered
128 Posts
GixxerSteve said:
Bokito said:
Lets say you had the stock Goodyear RSAs on your FX -- brand new they have 10/32 tread depth and overall diameter of 30.4 inches. So if the fronts were "really low"........lets say 2/32........then they would have a tread depth 8/32 less than stock, or in other words 1/2 inch smaller overall diameter. What I mentioned above was that 4/32 or 1/4" variance between the front and rear tires is within the tollerance of the ATESSA AWD system. But running 1/2 inch variance, as you experienced, could mess with the AWD system and make it think something was slipping.

I don't think anyone here is advocating running worn tires with brand new tires. :idea:
Agree, depending on the tread dept it should be fine unless user start experiencing weird issues with the awd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree, depending on the tread dept it should be fine unless user start experiencing weird issues with the awd.

So, I'm just joining this thread. I've always been told that running different depths/types of tires on an AWD is very hard on the drive train. After reading all of this, I'm hoping that (from what I'm understanding) it would be ok to replace my back tires and then my front tires. I have 20's on my FX35 so the tires are expensive anyway. My car doesn't get driven very often and if I do drive it, I only live about 3 miles from my work. I want to buy two rear tires on one payday and then two more on the next payday. Sooooo, should be ok, right??

Thank you!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts