Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was able to get the 6.3 update for a reduced price. Seeing as how it's marginally better than 6.1 (there's a street that's been around for two years now that's still not in the maps, and POI handling still sucks), I'm glad I didn't pay full retail for it.

Anyway, I popped in the Software Upgrade CD-ROM (that first upgrades your system when you go from 6.1 to 6.3) in my laptop, and started doing a little reverse-engineering on it. Turns out that our Nav systems are based on the VxWorks real-time operating system, and it's running on a Hitachi SH4-based, "big-endian" CPU. Evidently, there's a serial port somewhere on the nav unit (might have to break out the service manual for this one) that gives access to several parts of the system. I also put in the 6.1 disc, and wrote and ran a little script that looked for the POI database. There were quite a few bitmaps scattered all over the place, too.

Now, I shouldn't say this 'cause I don't want to get anyone's hopes up like I'd actually do this :), but considering the VSS sensor is connected somehow thru a dedicated set of CPU pins, and they're running the VxWorks C-language-based executable (which seemed to be cross-compiled on a Windows box, based on the pathnames I saw in assert() statements), if I had a junk Nav box I'll bet I could at the very least get rid of all the VSS-controlled nag statements by disassembling the code related to GPIO pins. What I did find interesting is (and this could be because they make one version of the software, then turn off features based on manufacturer specs) is there appears to be a full feature set for controlling a (CDMA?) cellular phone as well (i.e., dialing out on a POI entry, or control thru the Nav system).

It also appears my guesses about the Nav not really knowing where we are are borne out by my precursory examination of the database format used in the POI database.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
kcrudup said:
There were quite a few bitmaps scattered all over the place, too.
Would sure be nice to add some icons to the available list. THey don't give you that good of a selection. Do you think it is maybe possible to somehow interface with the nav unit and import some?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnmax said:
Do you think it is maybe possible to somehow interface with the nav unit and import some?
Probably not likely, because of the form that I'd seen them in. What they probably did was declare the bitmaps inline as code, so their runtime address would have to be known. Changing something like that would likely require either the full source code, and there's fat chance of that. Fixing the "THIS FUNCTION DISABLED WHILE DRIVING" problem is 99% certainly just finding a function similar to isVehicleMoving() which probably just checks to see how many times the VSS has "clicked" over some given time, and can be "comented" out with assembly code that just returns "false", so the system still knows where it is (which the cutting-wire mod can't do).

·
Registered
27 Posts
kcrudup said:
Turns out that our Nav systems are based on the VxWorks real-time operating system, and it's running on a Hitachi SH4-based, "big-endian" CPU. Evidently, there's a serial port somewhere on the nav unit (might have to break out the service manual for this one) that gives access to several parts of the system.
Oh, this is getting interesting. VxWorks, hmm, any idea what version? I've seen a picture of that serial port somewhere on the forum here - couldn't find it with a search.

Are you familiar with VxWorks? I have a complete development set (books, CDs and all) but never had to use it...

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
joost said:
VxWorks, hmm, any idea what version?
I don't recall, I think there were some strings that had it in there, next time I look I'll see if I can find it.

Are you familiar with VxWorks?
A long time ago, in a place far, far away (Silicon Valley, circa 1999) I did a little VxWorks work for an embedded-storage pizza box. It's POSIX-compatible, so it was easy enough to get going in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
INTRESTING

Hi guys,

I am extremely interested on the project and really would like to do it, if possible.

any recent updates on the issue ?

regards

Engin

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: INTRESTING

uluge said:
any recent updates on the issue?
Nah, but if you have ~9GB of space, I'd copy the .ISO from your DVD-ROM into a file, then loopback mount that if you wanted to play around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't know about any of the rest of you, but I've been pretty unimpressed with the accuracy of the Nav system. How many of you have had the GPS tell you "You have arrived at your destination" a block to 300 feet from the actual address?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
daffern1 said:
How many of you have had the GPS tell you "You have arrived at your destination" a block to 300 feet from the actual address?
I think it's supposed to do that- note that it stays on the display 'till you actually get there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: INTRESTING

kcrudup said:
uluge said:
any recent updates on the issue?
Nah, but if you have ~9GB of space, I'd copy the .ISO from your DVD-ROM into a file, then loopback mount that if you wanted to play around.
I have already copied the dvd and looked at the folders , but I did not look inside the folders, I will try to do that right away. btw, for folks who want to save their original copy of NAV DVD, it's easily copiable with the Alcohol 120% software, I did it and it's working ALMOST perfectly (it's just a little slower than the original in routing and stuff, but I guess it's due to the quality of the Dual LAyer DVD I had used, they're not very good I guess)

fyi

and thx

Engin

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
So I take it that Navi DVD ram is dual Layer?
When I have some time I'll also do some reverse engineering see what comes out. So far I have not even copied the DVD but soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
GAZZZAN said:
So I take it that Navi DVD ram is dual Layer?
When I have some time I'll also do some reverse engineering see what comes out. So far I have not even copied the DVD but soon.
just make sure you have DVD43 loaded on startup soi that the copy protection ( if existent) is by passes. then, buy DL DVDs, then tkae the image, and then burn the image to the shiny DL DVDs.

I hope we can get somewhere, What I am concerned is the CD-ROM that has to be loaded first when updating the DVD (I read it in the forum somewhere). I don't have any of those, so no chance of analayzing it :(

good luck

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
uluge said:
What I am concerned is the CD-ROM that has to be loaded first when updating the DVD. I don't have any of those, so no chance of analayzing it :(
Send me an E-mail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.