Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning FX faithful.
Well my better half (Lady Dakine aka Stephanie) started a new job a week today.
She did'nt have a car (long story) so I went out and got her a "runner" to use for a year till she could afford what she wants (new Infiniti M).
Anyway, abit beyond my better judgement I bought her a 2004 V6 Mustang 40th Anni. with 9,000 miles. Beautiful looking car but I am NOT a real Ford (or domestic car) fan right now.
Anyway, she drove it all week and was happy (although it had a slight miss and the suspension was nasty nasty!).
Anyhow, last friday she was driving home and a car in front started braking erratically (on loop 610 in Houston). Then she got a weird text number on her phone (she was talking to me at the time). Well the pos car in front then slammed on brakes and a truck closed in behind her.
The crappy handling Ford did not stop so well and they swapped a small bumper rash (nothing serious, just a rub).
The guy in front (from south of border, with NO plates or tags on car) states she needs to pay him first $300 to get his bumper fixed, then when his buddy from in the truck behind that boxed her in chimes in the price goes to $500! Anyway, she says well "I am insured so lets call the police to do an accident report". Needless to say they wanted NONE of this. She also see's the front car guy has a Cellphone Scanner and had probably been trying to clone her phone (hoping it was an analogue, hence the funky text number appearing). Anyway, at the mention of the Police both sped off! Stephanie had a witness too.
Well long post but she was VERY shaken and mad and upset about the scuffed bumper on her car.
Well, I was NOT happy with the car to begin with (she loved the Mustang shape) so, even though I knew I would take a $$$ hit, decided that the stang was NOT safe for her and it was gone.

So now, instead of a 1 year "run around" she has a several year keeper!
I could not afford an Infiniti for her yet at this point but DID get financing on another nice toy :)

2004 Ex Demo with 2,000 miles fully loaded (cept nav.) Mazda RX-8!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Now granted, this thing is no slouch but no FX but OMG does it handle :twisted:
Actually she has really not gotten to drive it until today going to work as my butt has been firmly planted in the drivers seat creating havoc LOL
Yes I will post pics when I get a chance.
That 1.3ltr. rotary engine is amazing. Gottq keep it close to redline for rapid movement but is a great lil car.
The demo was an auto and I got her to drive the 6 speed too.
Well, IMO and she saw what I was talking about, in every day Houston traffic (she has an hour commute) a 6 speed in that car is HARD work (more a weekend toy) and the auto has 197 hp in a small/light car and really goes.
Thing I like is it has paddle shifters on the steering wheel as well as shift on the auto box. C'mon Infiniti ! this shift tech. is FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, long post but yet another busy and stressful weekend for me.
Thank god it's monday LOL

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Dakine, Sorry about the "STANG", but very happy to hear about the RX8, Could you ask her to join us next Meet? I'd like to take it around the block and experience the Rotary engine....

·
Registered
597 Posts
Say, did you basically replace one FoMoCo product with another :twisted: ? I woudn't ve grabbed a demo as they probably revved the piss outta that engine when it was a virgin. And this rotary is an oil guzzler as is; something that was reported on both sides of the pond. It also maybe difficlut to start in the cold.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
pudicus said:
... And this rotary is an oil guzzler as is; something that was reported on both sides of the pond. It also maybe difficlut to start in the cold.
Hey, I just heard a friend of mine talking about the gas drinker of this rotary... like 12mpg which I found hard to believe, anyways, could you please copy & paste link to anyforum or any document about it, thanks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Seems to be hit or miss with the low mpg. Here is one link: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct ... f17e71/669

My buddy next to me has had two RX8's. First one was the first RX8 production and became a lemon in 2 months. The current one runs great and he avg's 18/21 city/hiway.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep
oil consumption is part and parcel with the rotary engine. No big deal (worse have heard/read is 1 quart between services). Service for oil/filter change is $19.85 btw.

As for fuel consumption, darn Stang was getting about 14mpg :(

Thus far I reckon the 8 is about 18-24.

As for driving the p*ss out of it as a demo, all can say is I did some very exhaustive driving in it before I did the deal and it seemed fine. It has yet to be registered so has full warranty. You know, any car can be a potential problem/lemon, just part of the deal.
I was dubious (a little) about the rotary but hope it's all good.

Main thing is it is MUCH safer than the Stang, looks IMO stunning, drives on rails and is HUGE fun and (as per Edmunds) is VERY low maintenance.

It has 2,600 miles, "Winning Blue" metallic, bose premium system, tire pressure monitoring, flat tire kit (darned 12volt pump lol), 18" wheels, 6 disc cd, xenon lights, Sport Package, Grand Touring Package and Appearance Package.
I got it for $23,500.

·
Registered
662 Posts
FX-1004 said:
I love the design of that car :) ~
And since it's being sold in Japan, you can find mod parts pretty easily unlike FX.

·
Registered
597 Posts
2Fast4U said:
pudicus said:
... And this rotary is an oil guzzler as is; something that was reported on both sides of the pond. It also maybe difficlut to start in the cold.
Hey, I just heard a friend of mine talking about the gas drinker of this rotary... like 12mpg which I found hard to believe, anyways, could you please copy & paste link to anyforum or any document about it, thanks.

The info provided was based on editor notes/reader feedback to various US/UK auto publications. I don't frequent " non-family " forums :oops: .
Mazda actually had quite a bit of explaining to do concerning the RX8. First when it inflated the HP output. Then for the hopelessly optimistic MPG rating. Then for oil guzzling. Then for various electrical warts. Then for cold start issues. OK, I shall say no more so as not to ruin the guy's day :lol: .
I'd agree, though, that it's a better buy than Rustang. And a pretty cool-looking too. Just wish that Mazda had invested more time and effort into ironing out all the wrinkles especially when they toy - even with all their accumulated know-how - with such unconventional technology.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Certainly will not ruin my day :D

Gas mileage is really not bad at all (small tank though).

Oil cunsumption (at about $2 a quart) is not an issue either.

Performance, well have had just as much fun (if not little more with dsc turned off) in the 8 as the FX thus far.

Looks great, quirky like the FX, hmmmm maybe I am in a patern here LOL (first off Stephanie did not wanna even look at/get in the car)

Yeah, has had some issues but oh well.

As for aftermarket. Yeah there are alot more add-ons available but none really shown to enhance performance much. Sure a turbo and supercharger are available (but costly). The CAI's seem to give little gain, as do exhausts (although in time and $$$ allowing, a Greddy system is going on :), sounds GREAT!). Suspension is pretty darn sorted to start with. Etc. etc.

Anyway, too early to tell but thus far love it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.