Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MB introduced nano coating, 4 times hardness on the surface
than traditional paint, which is softer and easy to scratch.

Official report nano coat affords auto car washer w/o any scratch.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Benzo

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Hey great Paint job how much did you pay for the whole set up. I heard Andy wants to change color and do the same nano paint job.

Jim

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happy new year , Jim.

Yes, Andy pick up the color code 752, they don't serve non-MB cars usually, the paint price shold be close to ML, $2800.
I've to talk to some MB mgr. to arrange Andy's nano paint job.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
IssaFX said:
I especially like the front side panels. Where and how much?
Where = Mercedes SL500
How Much = Pricele$$
Lots of creation, those guys from Tawain went 1 step ahead of us.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Interesting.

At first, I thought I was SOL for Liquid Copper, but I've seen a few SL-classes in a similar color (but more like the Nissan "orange", not the Infiniti one).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a totally different situation here & in the states.

German SUV base model cost over $100k here in Taiwan :?
FX35 is about $65k.
If we spend 20k more for upgrade (mods)
that's still far behind next level entry.

In the states, put another 5~10k, you may upgrade to another
luxury level,said, German SUV.
mod itself isn't that efficient for the money nor the resale value.

I envy you guys in the North America have the most reasonable car price in the world. :D :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tazdevl said:
Interesting stuff. How many coats?

The nano paint technology used by Mercedes since 2004
http://www.standox.com/

Press Releases

The evolution of silver: "AluShine" by Standox | 14/09/04 | Word document
Functional, sporting, elegant: the new special-effect shade "AluShine" from Standox, Wuppertal, is entirely in keeping with today's spirit. The silver-coloured waterborne metallic finish stands out above all through its surprising surface appearance: the painted body looks as if it has just emerged from a bath of aluminium – with not a trace of pigment or glitter to be seen.

Developed for complete resprays, "AluShine" is the first water-thinnable product to feature optical properties similar to those of aluminium. "AluShine" can also be impressively varied: depending on the type of clearcoat used, various fascinating effects can be produced – from shining aluminium through silky silver to satiny platinum.

Standox presented its new special-effect tone at the Press Conference in Cologne in September. At present, "AluShine" is exclusively available to authorised and specially trained Standox refinishers whose professional expertise ensures a top-quality refinish meeting the highest standards. The new product's market launch is being supported by a comprehensive package of sales promotion activities.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I'm aware of Mercedes nano... it came out in 2003, made it on all their cars in 2004.

I was under the impression you had your FX repainted.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have nano-paint technology on my 2004 SL55 AMG which goes with a "C" code of "C723" for Pewter Silver. It's unlikely that the 5-layer application can be done to the original standards outside of the MB factory unless it's repair work at a very few places that can afford the multi-million $$$ facilities ( I mentioned a new place in San Diego on another thread). Then again, that's for original nano-tech panels. It involves a careful multi-step 400 F baking process starting with the stripped panel at the factory not just on the exterior surface and a whole slew of detailed processes which makes it very expensive and a pain to match if your MB were to be in an accident. That being said, it's definitely superior to other standard clearcoat paint processes especially if you have a BLACK vehicle.

Post-production shops can't possibly meet the same quality of OEM if you see the factory process link below, even with the rare/highly-expensive facilities dedicated to MB nano-tech paint. Still, the effective ceramic nano-tech clearcoat is really just the last layer that needs to mesh with the 4 previous micro-thin layers. If you have the hook-up, it's definitely worthwhile in quality to get your FX clear-coated in nano-tech ceramic.

Here's a link to the technology as well as the extensive, detailed processes involved (especially pg. 2).
http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/new ... 21942&pg=1

Some practical insights on nano-paint from the MB World.org forum starting on pg 2:
http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showth ... logy+paint

1 - 12 of 12 Posts