Infiniti FX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
It won't void the warranty. Infiniti would have to prove you mounting their hitch on a RWD (instead of AWD) caused whatever needs to be repaired under warranty. Its existence alone cannot void the warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys. I'm looking at buying a Yamaha AR210 in the near future, expecting to tow/launch it with my FX35 AWD.

The boat and trailer weigh in at about the 3500# limit of the car, so I want to get an external/auxiliary tranny cooler. Does anyone know, or have experience with, wether adding this would result in warranty issues down the road? Anyone have one installed by their dealer?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
quiksilver55 said:
Hey guys. I'm looking at buying a Yamaha AR210 in the near future, expecting to tow/launch it with my FX35 AWD.
Is that a 21'? I would bet it weighs a lot more than 3,500 pounds by the time you add fuel, oil, gear, etc. Keep in mind boat manufacturers are notorious for understating the weights of their boats, and the "hull weight" is often bare bones and dry, meaning no engine, no liquids (oil, gas), extra options, etc.

I have an 18' and 23' boat...the 23' boat weighs in at 5,500 pounds on trailer ready to use but the 18' weighs under 2,000 pounds. Be careful in estimating the real weight for safety and liability reasons...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Boat dry weight (with twin jet drives) = 2954lbs
Max fuel capacity (50 gal) = 305lbs
Max oil capacity (9qts) = 16.2lbs

I'm digging into the actual weight of the trailer right now. If anything, that might be the deal-breaker.

UPDATE: The trailer weighs 980lbs..........hmmm.

So, is 4250lbs too much? Therein lies the issue.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
I would say its too much.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
quiksilver55 said:
Boat dry weight (with twin jet drives) = 2954lbs
Max fuel capacity (50 gal) = 305lbs
Max oil capacity (9qts) = 16.2lbs

I'm digging into the actual weight of the trailer right now. If anything, that might be the deal-breaker.

UPDATE: The trailer weighs 980lbs..........hmmm.

So, is 4250lbs too much? Therein lies the issue.
I'd say it is too much, especially for liability reasons. No doubt the FX can pull 4200 lbs. but the question is not only stopping the load but also the additional strain on the vehicle and personal liability if you are in an accident while towing.

Plus, no two boats are identical in weight (due to resin saturation of the fiberglass/carbon/kevlar/whatever) even if they have identical specs so you cannot count on the advertised weights.

Honestly, I'd want a full size SUV to tow more than 4,000 pounds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You guys are right. After wishing real hard, the towing capacity didn't go up any..... so this is probably a job better done by a bigger vehicle (too bad I don't have one, and the stable is already overflowing)

Jet ski's?

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Or a smaller boat. Don't know where you live but you might consider a shallower and shorter hull which would likely require compromise, perhaps via an outboard engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in New Orleans, so most of my use will be on Lake Ponchartrain (which is very shallow at parts, hence the jet boat vs. prop). I do intend to trailer it to Pensacola or Destin every once in a while, though.

Eyeballing the Sea Doo Challenger 180, which is an 18' jet boat that weighs around 3000lbs (wet, with trailer). I don't think the trailer has brakes, though.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Having some very negative history with Sea Doo products, I would never recommend Bombardier's crap. Engine repairs will end up costing you more than you can imagine.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
GJBenn85 said:
Having some very negative history with Sea Doo products, I would never recommend Bombardier's crap. Engine repairs will end up costing you more than you can imagine.
I used to go to the lake years ago with a buddy who had a pair of Wave Runners. He was also a motorcycle/watercraft mechanic. He said the same thing about Sea Doos, said they were crap that would constantly have problems. Yamaha has a few boats which look nice.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Just get a Titan -- with a towing capacity of 9400 lbs, you'd have nothing to worry about. 8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just talked to the dealer and they said that they would not recommend putting a hitch on a rwd fx35 because of the aluminum parts in the rear end and that it will void warranty. I really need a hitch to make up for trading in my Titan for the FX. Not having the ability to do landscaping projects around the house or other things a trailer is useful for, will be a problem... So can anyone tell me for sure that a small trailer will not hurt my AWD FX5...

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
What the heck? Infiniti advertises the FX35 as having a towing capacity, Infiniti sells a hitch for the vehicle, and the dealer is claiming it will void the warranty? LOL, have them show you in writing where installing a hitch and towing with a vehicle that has a rating towing capacity will void the warranty.

Edit: Interesting...the Infiniti site does not list a towing capacity for the FX35 RWD but does for the AWD. Crazy, there is not a structural difference between the RWD and AWD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dealer made it seem as if there was a structural difference between the AWD and the RWD. In the normal world of sport utilities vehicles that are not 4 wheel drive usually have a higher rated capacity. I am not sure what I should do I really feel like saying forget the dealer and getting a hitch, however my friend Murphey and his laws usually apply to me...
Any thoughts from the rest of you FX owners with RWD and towing...

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
What year FX do you have? I was thinking 2009-2011 when I wrote my post above but you have a first generation avatar.

The first generation FX RWD was rated at 3,500 pounds. I put a hitch on my '05 FX35 RWD, have towed jet skis and one of my boats with it without issue. It was acceptable in Infiniti's eyes on the first generation RWD FX. Not sure why the 2nd gen. is rated differently.

FYI, usually RWD/2WD has a higher tow capacity due to less weight. Since the GVRW has to stay the same, the added weight of an AWD or 4WD system reduces the rated towing capacity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is a 2007 fx35 RWD with sport package if that means anything... I will probably just go with the hitch regardless. Thanks for your input its good to see the FX pull a boat that gives me confidence in my FX...

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Go for it. Like I said, the first generation FX35 RWD (just like the AWD models) is rated at 3,500 pounds (you can confirm in your owner's manual where it lists towing capacity by engine rather than drive configuration). The only "thing" is that Infiniti wants you to use trailer brakes if you exceed 1,000 pounds which is ridiculous. Two jet skis, for example, weigh more than 1,000 pounds yet really do not interfere with stopping ability.

Here is the boat I tow with my FX. Small weighing in at only about 1,500 pounds "wet." The vehicle stops the load just fine. In fact, I doubt my stopping distance while towing this load is any worse than a standard SUV that is NOT towing. Towed it home from central Florida via the interstate in horrendous thunderstorms and never felt anything but confidence.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts