Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pics I had of my old '03 FX35 AWD (I started off with a Hidden Hitch but later switched to the OEM hitch when it became available.)

I never had any concerns when towing the car or boat with the OEM hitch as it is built like a class III hitch and very sturdy.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Nice! How much does the boat weigh? Debated using my FX to tow the boat but the boat is a bit over the max (~4500 lbs).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
johnmax said:
Nice! How much does the boat weigh? Debated using my FX to tow the boat but the boat is a bit over the max (~4500 lbs).
I'm pretty sure it was close to yours in weight when loaded out :shock:

(2003 Crownline LPX 20')

I only had about a 3 mile round trip from the storage shed to the boat launch, but it handled it OK on the trip from Dallas to Austin and through the hill country roads a few times to the shop for maintenance.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Other than strain on the transmission, I think the FX will do fine towing over its capacity (even the brakes). THAT said, you will be in a world of trouble if you happen to get in an accident while being over the tow rating. Even if it is not your fault, there is some scumbag lawyer that will try to blame your towing of a 4,500 lb. boat for the accident.

·
Registered
202 Posts
WOW and its an fx35 too!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice toys, BTW!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
djpathfinder said:
Nice toys, BTW!
Those pics are a few years old as I no longer have those "Toys".... :(

Just wanted to share my experience that the FX 35 has excellent towing capacity.....however, I could definitely "feel" the boat pulling on the chassis so it's not ideal, but it got the job done for the short distance I needed to tow. I wouldn't recommend it for long distances and windy roads - LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
How is the OEM Hitch attached? I just put the curt hitch on mine and I'm not real thrilled with the hook-up... (However, it doesn't show much since the FX is black too..

·
Registered
30 Posts
GJBenn85 said:
How is it attached? With a bunch of bolts...
oh snap! I shoulda seen that coming....

To be a little more specific... the curt unit bolts up through the bottom of the aluminum bumper strut/bar, which is not real sturdy... WHERE perhaps does the stock unit bolt to with the above forementioned bolts...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've a 2010 RWD FX35 - Can I buy a hitch to do some towing with it. Would appreciate any help and certainly from folks like me who probably did it on their RWD 35.

• 1. What I would be towing: Honda VTX 1300 Motorcycle cruiser that weighs about 700 lbs.
    2. Trailer weight: 150 pounds. It's called Trailer In a Bag.
Dealer and Scottsdale (InfinitiPartsUSA) folks do not have a hitch for RWD.

I got into the market looking for a tow hitch for my 2010 RWD FX35, wanting to a take a 2 wk vacation either to Colorado or the smokies. Being able to tow (maybe once or twice a year) was one of the reasons I moved up from my sedan TL to a cross-over like FX to give me that utility along with the fun drive. It will make me very mad if I get to learn that RWD cannot even tow 1000 pounds, coz - that was one of the specific questions I had asked the sales guy at buying time. Coz, I could have shelled out the extra to get the AWD (I was told, not big a deal for Dallas weather) or go for a Lexus RX350 (was one of my other considerations for utitlity, but not much on the drive)

My towing experience: drove back-n-forth b/w Dallas, Tx & NYC, NY last year pulling the same stuff on a rental Saturn VUE (V6).

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
maveriks said:
There should be NO difference between the RWD and AWD for towing... send the guys at WWW.INFINITIPARTSUSA.COM and ask them about an OEM hitch for your RWD '10 FX35... they'll probably give you a lower price than the local dealership... even WITH shipping included... then after that, you can either ask your dealership to do the install, or bring it to a GOOD local mechanic...

GL and let us know how it goes...

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
DatMan said:
maveriks said:
There should be NO difference between the RWD and AWD for towing... send the guys at http://WWW.INFINITIPARTSUSA.COM and ask them about an OEM hitch for your RWD '10 FX35... they'll probably give you a lower price than the local dealership... even WITH shipping included...
Dat, you do realize that InfinitiPartsUSA.com is Infiniti of Scottsdale, right? Joe and all the guys work in the parts department there. I'm not sure why they told him there is no tow hitch for the RWD FX.

Maveriks, I suggest calling Infiniti of Scottsdale again and ask for Joe Tesensky in parts. Tell him your a member here. There should be a OEM tow hitch for the RWD FX 35 just the same as the AWD FX 35.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Keep in mind he is asking about the 2010+ FX. Very odd but InfinitiUSA.com shows the tow hitch is only available on the 2nd gen. FX in the AWD configuration. Cannot think of a single reason why that would be the case, especially considering the RWD does have a tow rating. One thing I suggest doing is buying the hitch and just saying you have AWD, I doubt they'll check or ask for a VIN.

You might have to pursue an aftermarket hitch, though it will be a lot more visible. http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2010_Infiniti_FX-35.htm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Steve, Dat & Benn - I appreciate your time for looking into it.

Called Infinitipartsusa and spoke to Ken: He didn't have a hitch for 2010 FX35 in stock , but said - he could order one and ship it to me. I tried to clarify and asked him if it would fit a RWD, he didn't think why it wouldn't - then he read the print and it read something like 'made for AWD...blah blah blah...

In his opinion he thinks it would, for that I asked if he had any RWD customers buy it - he did not know. I let him know I"ll be back on forum and check with RWD owners.

So here it is: RWD pals - have any of you put a hitch on. Please mention the year as well.

My Fx is 2010 RWD.

Safe Drive!

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Yes, there are plenty of first gen. RWD owners with hitches. But I do not know of any RWD 2010+ owners with a hitch.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
GixxerSteve said:
DatMan said:
maveriks said:
There should be NO difference between the RWD and AWD for towing... send the guys at http://WWW.INFINITIPARTSUSA.COM and ask them about an OEM hitch for your RWD '10 FX35... they'll probably give you a lower price than the local dealership... even WITH shipping included...
Dat, you do realize that InfinitiPartsUSA.com is Infiniti of Scottsdale, right? Joe and all the guys work in the parts department there. I'm not sure why they told him there is no tow hitch for the RWD FX.

Maveriks, I suggest calling Infiniti of Scottsdale again and ask for Joe Tesensky in parts. Tell him your a member here. There should be a OEM tow hitch for the RWD FX 35 just the same as the AWD FX 35.
Whoops... guess it was kinda late and I missed reading part of that... :lol:

But yeah... absolutely NO reason why the OEM hitch would fit an AWD but not a RWD... pretty much everything behind the front axle should be identical in the two... GL with everything and let us know how it works out for you...

Also... one last thing is contact SEWELL INFINITI... they also sell parts online at WWW.INFINITI-PARTS.COM

I found this:

http://infiniti.sewellparts.com/accesso ... 0-702.html

There's an 800 # on the top right... call them and ask them if they have any knowledge of using this on a RWD '10 FX35...

·
Registered
19 Posts
DatMan said:
...Also... one last thing is contact SEWELL INFINITI... they also sell parts online at http://WWW.INFINITI-PARTS.COM

I found this: http://infiniti.sewellparts.com/accesso ... 0-702.html

There's an 800 # on the top right... call them and ask them if they have any knowledge of using this on a RWD '10 FX35...
Thanks guys. Dat - will call them up and see what they have to say. Unfortunately, the dealer I was referring to in my original post was Sewell in Dallas. I was with them last week for my first service and checked with them on the hitch. as you know from my post.based on info I got from the parts folks, it started going down hill regarding hitch on a 2010 RWD FX35...

Will see if the folks who take my call say any different...I badly want to put on a hitch and get my cruiser (VTX1300) with me on vacation...but don't want to do it at the cost of voiding my FX warranty or buy something that doesn't work on my model (2010 RWD)....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts