Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaned, aftermarket, and dealer replaced. Reset codes everytime. Codes still come up. I have an appointment w mechanic that is going to do a "4 hr test" to plug to computer to check the signals to and from the MAF. Does anyone have any other ideas before I let the mechanic have his way with me for 4 hours?

I just need a window to pass an inspection. I really don't care if they work or not my car drives fine.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Never heard of a "4 hour" test for anything in our FX's. Resetting things using the pedal dance can take some time though. What codes are coming up?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think the 4 hour test is probably the OBD Readiness check. Once the problem is repaired, the car has to run for several drive cycles before an emissions test is performed. This varies depending on state/provincial regulations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was reading the signals from and to the MAF thru the computer. He cleaned my negative connections and throttle body to stabilize some readings and reset the codes. I drove it for about 1 hour and codes came back. He says there is more Todo before he determines that I need a new computer. At that rate, I'll pay for monthly parking and just drive an unregistered car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A few questions;
What year and model of car?
How long was the check engine light on before you originally changed the MAF?
Were there any other codes other than MAF related?
Did you do anything to the throttle body, ie. cleaned it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The DME is looking at the air flow readings from the MAF on the intake side, and the residual oxygen on the exhaust side as reported by the O2 sensors and seeing a mis match condition. Since it's seeing it on both O2 sensors it's concluding it must be the MAF sending the bad signal. Could be the O2 sensors got coated with something also and are sending slightly out of range signals. You have to pick one or the other to break the tie here. If you can borrow a MAF from someone that would be the easiest thing to try, otherwise go with the least expensive part first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts