Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am really a PC user, how long until someone hacks this into our nav screens? After all it's the same size as a dvd player with a lot more functionality! 80 gig hard drive for MP3's, DVD, etc, etc...

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Some people are, just not with a Mac mini.

Generator uses an X-Box in his Murano (same nav screen) with an adapter he developed. I'm developing something similar using embedded linux with a touchscreen but won't be ready until end of Feb.

There are a few threads in the Audio/Video/Navigation area where people have gone into great detail about what they've done / are doing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My ideas/questions on how I would do this project:

1. If possible I would take the useless tape deck out and put this lovely Mac in its place

2. Have it output through the NAV screen. If possible would like to use the tape/sat button on the console as the on/off and switch between the screens.

3. Not very familiar with Macs but would install some sort of speech recognition system to control the OSX. I would need to install a microphone in addition to the installation of the Mac.

4. Definitely need a Wi/Fi & Bluetooth in the Mac for mobile internet browsing through my Bluetooth phone or wifi hotspots. Side note: I’ve seen on the web that OSX a caller ID build in, so with Bluetooth you would be able to see and answer all your calls on display, just like in the New Acura TL/RL.....

5. Endless possibilities by having a computer in the car (e.g. dvd/mp3/any audio video/internet anywhere/slideshows.....)

6. Issues/Problems/Roadblock on getting this complete:

a. I’m a moron, there fore ill break something in my car by attempting to do this. Huge roadblock of the project.
b. Not even sure if I can fork out the **** tape deck. I would also need to make a custom bracket to fit the Mac since its not ideal DIN size.
c. Need to find some sort of an adapter how to connect to the Nav screen and not have blurry vision which usually happens with PC to TV connections. This is a big problem. Not exactly sure what/if any resolution would even work on that tiny screen to be able to read the font.
d. The power issues: I’m most certain that I could have a power source connected to the Mac but since im a moron I would not know how to actually get the switch to work. Since this Mac has an on switch in the back it would be unreachable, and I don’t know if Macs an always on option by just supplying the power to it.

I would love to attempt this project but I just don’t know if I could do it on my own. If anyone with enough FX experience would like to attempt this I would donate my FX as a guinea pig and would pay for all the parts and any food/alcohol during the installation process. If you live in the Jersey/Philly/NY area and want to try it let me know [email protected].

Either way FX enthusiasts let me know what you think of this project, any ideas/corrections/criticism are all welcome. BTW there is a site that claims they will install Mini Mac into any car hmmm???? Well ill have to wait till tomorrow 1/22/04 and see when they post some details. (http://www.classicresto.com/macmini.html)

Alex

·
Registered
252 Posts
1: It is impossible to remove the tape deck as it is all one piece with the rest of the head unit.

2: That would be doable with a little R&D and soldering but I don't think anyone has actually tried that yet.

3: I'm not that familiar with Macs either but I can't see that as being that difficult. The Pioneer AVIC unit I had a while back had voice recognition that worked reasonably well but could be frustrating at times.

4: Again, doable. I don't spend enough time in my car stopped somewhere to really make websurfing a necessity. Other than the coolness factor for me that's kind of overkill :)

5: No disagreement there.

6a: That's a roadblock everyone doing anything like that must get past but given enough patience and a large garage it's not as frightening as it may seem. Even though I'm working on a similar project I won't rip my car apart either until everything is working on the bench and I have access to a friend's workshop/garage. Mine is pretty teeny making working on the car a major pain.

6b: You'll absolutely have to mount it somewhere else. The tape deck isn't coming out without some serious hacking/cutting/rewiring the head unit.

6c: Using big fonts is definitely a must. Even with sharp RGB output, using such a small screen requires letters mere mortals can read, especially while driving. As for interfacing the video from the Mac to the front screen, there are two basic concepts; combining the HSync and VSync to composite sync, and bringing the Horizontal sync frequency down to about 15kHz. I've gotten this working in linux (waiting to test soon on target MII-12000 mobo to be sure) but on the Mac I wouldn't know although it is BSD based so it may not be all that difficult either. A Mac expert could tell you yay or nay.

6d: Certainly doable with an inverter, some buffer circuitry and a relay although doing it with one of the OEM dash buttons is a bit scary.

Unfortunately I live way up in Ottawa, Ontario so I wouldn't be able to help you :( but it sounds like a very interesting project especially if you're in love with the Mac mini. If you ever get anything working, post some pics!

·
Registered
48 Posts
TRU, TRU yours as well as that G35 have very nice systems which i would like to have in my car, now if i wasnt a such a cheap ******* i would integrate a mac mini into my car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts