Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about lowering the FX for Christmas, what is it I need other then the Eibach Springs? I hear about the 10"mm to 15"mm spacers but what exactly does that mean? I have the touring package so I am running with the 18in. rims right now. So I have looked and a couple of places are the authorized dealers for the Eibachs so I guess I will have them do the install, also if I do not use the spacers do I still need an aliment, and how much is this total install going to take?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Regards, Eric

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
This thread might help you out some: http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewto ... =alignment

As for the lowering itself, all you really NEED is the springs and a place to install them, and YES, you do have to get your car aligned after lowering.

The spacers are a completely separate accessory and go between the wheel and hub to push the wheels out to make them appear more flush with the fenders. Various members here have tdone the 15mm spacers (do a search to find some pics and more info) and one or two have done 20mm.

Are you planning on upgrading your wheels/tires at all? At any rate, I would lower it first, then do the wheels/tires (if applicable), then determine which width of spacers is going to give you the best results.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
FXwakeboard said:
I am thinking about lowering the FX for Christmas, what is it I need other then the Eibach Springs? I hear about the 10"mm to 15"mm spacers but what exactly does that mean? I have the touring package so I am running with the 18in. rims right now. So I have looked and a couple of places are the authorized dealers for the Eibachs so I guess I will have them do the install, also if I do not use the spacers do I still need an aliment, and how much is this total install going to take?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Regards, Eric
Eric, do a search and you'll come up with some oldies like this also > http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=383 - You'll notice that brnjug was one of the 1st around here to drop his ride. If you're planning on slammin' yours with the 18" sneakers, I believe you will be the 1st in that arena. 8) Dare to be different, start a trend and be a leader. Spacers, maybe, maybe not, - just don't forget to get a STB too.

·
Registered
882 Posts
btw, for those with Spacers how is the wheel splash? Is carp getting thrown on the side of the car? That's kinda the only thing keeping me from installing them 8)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hey Eric:

I just lowered my FX45 about a week ago. @ Oracle Motorsports here in Studio City, CA.. They have recommended that you do not get an alignment done until ~ 1week after the springs are installed so that your suspension settles and the new springs adjust to sag (being weighted in a dynamic environment).

Also, I personally recommend checking and/or adjusting your HID headlights (1 adjustment screw on either side) as it makes a world of difference. I've mentioned here that an article I read stated, "-1.0 degree change can mean 156ft less visibility." That would probably be at U.S. highway speeds. It made a world of difference on my FX45 when the vehicle has dropped ~1.5" all around, especially for variations in tire pressure, climate, factory pre-set tolerances, tire wear, etc.

Good Luck! It's the single, best handling performance modification that will greatly improve your FX45.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
mushutofu said:
btw, for those with Spacers how is the wheel splash? Is carp getting thrown on the side of the car?
Yeah, those scales can really do a number on your paint. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Best of all worlds,wait a week on alignment and make sure they can align20",most cannot and cheat with the equipment. I have been PM'ing with someone on FA about an out of alignment after the lowering,even added a camber kit which you do not need!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yeah, those Eibach camber kits are not required. Oracle Motorsports, STudio City, CA. told me that they are offered to maintain suspension geometry ( I guess so you can even align the vehicle properly after lowering) if you lower the vehicle 2" or more. ~1.5" is relatively mild.

Another thing, if you want to accurately measure the change in height drop, they showed me to measure from the top of the tread to the bottom of the wheel, not to the ground. That helps to negate any deflection of the tire bottom (hence height) due to weight distribution of the vehicle, uneven ground, tire pressure, etc....

·
Registered
549 Posts
ahhhchu:

I had a package deal of $350.00 to install (4) 20mm H&R spacers and the Eibach Pro Springs even though the spacers are still on back-order from H&R. I paid that up front. These are removing and replacing the studs not just adding a spacer as well on the H&R DRS kits.

Installing springs should take 3-4hrs if done properly and cost around $150. Not bad for all of the work involved. It's the front struts that are tedious to remove and replace. Proper alignment for AWD and 20"+ wheels = $120? I will pay $120 for mine to be done properly this week. It seems expensive but they do 26" wheels on Hummers so at least they will have the right equipment and experience to get my vehicle aligned optimally. Now if it would just stop pouring.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts