Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When turning into parking spots travelling at low speeds, Less than 5mph. I am noticing a significant vibration/shudder from front tires. Service told me it was the AWD that was producing this. Funny thing is I didn't notice it for the first 25,000 miles. Has anyone else experienced this when making turns at low speeds with the wheel turned all the way to the right or left?

Thanks so much for your help.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I only have 14,000 miles on mine but have not experienced anything like what you describe. I would think if it's a 'normal' sound caused by AWD we would all hear it right from the get go. I'd challenge the dealer on that one. Good Luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
this is normal on almost any 4WD/AWD vehicle. without a lengthy explaination, the front differential has to compensate for the different speeds at which the wheels are turning by allowing the coupling between the wheels and differential to slip. sometimes the suspension angle and amount of turning force causes the tires to lose a small amount of traction. i know it sounds harsh, but you're actually experiencing the tire dragging against the road. you should only notice it on certain road surfaces and with certain tire compounds.
anyone has owned a 4x4 vehicle should be able to attest to this.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
orion2291 said:
Yeah... but our FXs are AWD which is COMPLETELY different... you should NOT be having this kind of a problem...

·
Registered
147 Posts
DatMan said:
orion2291 said:
Yeah... but our FXs are AWD which is COMPLETELY different... you should NOT be having this kind of a problem...
for all intents and purposes AWD and 4x4 (4WD) is not different, just for the record. without getting in a whole debate about the difference between AWD and 4WD, the essential difference is:
- 99% of AWD vehicles do not offer torque multiplication
- AWD vehicles offer torque to all 4 wheels all of the time. the percentage of torque applied either varies or is constant depending on the vehicle and the system's engineering.
- AWD and 4x4 is selectable on some vehicles. on the fx, it is not. all 4 wheels apply some amount of torque to the road surface all of the time.

anyway, try making short radius turns on several different types of road surfaces. have your dealer check your alignment to be sure it's true. i'm not saying there isn't a problem. i'm saying the conditions you describe are normal for a 4x4 and AWD vehicles.
i know it's a long shot, but try out someone elses AWD fx or different tires on your fx. see if the same conditions appear.

·
Registered
106 Posts
FWIW--I have 13K on my 09, and have never experienced any shudder. Thus, I think there is something to be looked into as it would not appear normal. The only time I have experienced such a shudder in a 4X4 is in an Isuzu that had part-time 4WD. Such a system was not meant to be driven on dry roads in 4X4 mode--only on wet/snowy surfaces.

·
Registered
4 Posts
orion2291 wrote:

Orion's original staement, and follow up post are incorrect. Torque continuously applied to all 4 wheels is the 'locked up' type of four wheel drive system. The AWD system in many newer vehicles does not do this. In fact, the Infiniti system apllies 100% of the power to the rear wheels until it detects slip, when it will then divert up to 50% of the power to the front wheels.
Sorry Orion, but if you have an Infiniti you should read up some more on it. All you have to do is check it out on their web site.

·
Registered
147 Posts
deltavic said:
orion2291 wrote:

Orion's original staement, and follow up post are incorrect. Torque continuously applied to all 4 wheels is the 'locked up' type of four wheel drive system. The AWD system in many newer vehicles does not do this. In fact, the Infiniti system apllies 100% of the power to the rear wheels until it detects slip, when it will then divert up to 50% of the power to the front wheels.
Sorry Orion, but if you have an Infiniti you should read up some more on it. All you have to do is check it out on their web site.
i'm sorry, but before you discredit what i say, maybe you need to be more informed.
torque continuously applied to all 4 wheels is not necessarily the lock up type of 4wd you describe.
you're reading the simple answer to a simple question. i'm just trying to provide a detailed explanation to a problem for those interested in the information.
besides, if you read my entire statement, you would have read the following
"the percentage of torque applied either varies or is constant depending on the vehicle and the system's engineering."
i said it varies. though, in any type of AWD system, there is never an absolute 100% amount of torque delivered to only the rear wheels. if you've ever seen an awd's driveline move you'd see this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It goes back to the original post. A properly functioning Infiniti AWD system should experience no shudder in turning.

Infiniti does, BTW, advertise under normal driving conditions 100% power to the rear wheels.

My comment about torque and 'locked up' should have said torque continuously and evenly distributed to all 4 wheels. Some companies (Honda/Acura for example) include the feature to lock up all four wheels with even torque and limiting the slip of the diferential, and the feature disables itself above 30 km/h or thereabouts. Using such a feature, one would definitely experience shuddering when cornering at low speeds as all 4 wheels turn at the same speed, yet travel different distances in a turn, necessitating either slip or drag on inner or outer wheels in the turn.

We're almost on the same page...

·
Registered
124 Posts
i have about 15k on my 09.

I have notice this too, only really noticeable when I pull out of my driveway because only that time I have my music off. under 5mph wheel turn all the way to the right. slight shudder than dissappears as i speed up and I couldn't replicate the sound anywhere else so I assume its my driveway + cold car.

maybe I should be concern? I think the shudder has always been there but I'm didn't really pay attention assuming its the bass or the road

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
the fx uses an electronically activated variable drum to feed the front dif, & the computer has full control & can vary the distributrion of torque from 0% engagement(100% rwd) all the way up to 100% engagement (50/50 awd) so yes, the awd fx can & does at times become 100% rwd... but, at low speeds & under 12mph it does engage the front anyway, so yeah, on very hard slow turns & under certain conditions you may feel the slip/drag & it's normal, although many may never really experience it enough to see or recognize it even too...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Low Speed Shudder FX 35'09: Update

Was in the Shop today for another day to figure out the low speed Shudder.

They have determined that the Differential is bagged. They have ordered a new one from Japan, apparently have not encountered this problem on 09 FX35's .

I'll let you know how it goes.

Part is on order.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
VesperFX said:
Was in the Shop today for another day to figure out the low speed Shudder.

They have determined that the Differential is bagged. They have ordered a new one from Japan, apparently have not encountered this problem on 09 FX35's .
Good to hear that your dealership considers this abnormal for an AWD vehicle... GL with it and waiting to hear how it goes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts