Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's been goin on for couple months now. For some reason if i don't start the car for like 2-3 days -my battery is completely dead.Went to infiniti service , they performed electrical diagnostic-everything ok,couldn't find anything that drains the battery.A week ago replaced the battery , but the problem still exists.Checked all the lights when the car is off-couldn'find anything. Any ideas? Help!! :(

·
Premium Member
10,645 Posts
Did they do a parasitic draw test?

·
Premium Member
10,645 Posts
They leave a test meter hooked up and monitor it to see if any electrical draw pops up. They should be able to tell you how many amps the vehicle is drawing at rest. Should be .05A or less to .1A. No more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an 09 fx50, been dealing with a parasitic draw since August 2010. Car has failed to start 9 or 10 times to date. Sometimes the battery drains overnight, sometimes over a few days--completely unpredictable. Can't trust car at all. My life revolves around trying to keep my car running. I often start my car and leave it running in the garage just to make sure it will start the next morning. Doesn't always work but seems to help.

It once drained to the point of not being able to be jump started and had to be towed. If you ever had to tow one of these when there's no power and everything freezes, it's bad.

Took it to dealership five times, total of 20 something days in service bay including time with a tech infiniti sent to inspect my car. According to the dealership, they've run every diagnostic they can think of. Still no fix. Problem is since they don't catch the problem when it occurs, they send me away with nothing fixed.

Tons of calls to customer service, hours of lost work time, personal time, and overall extreme aggravation. Infiniti corp is taking the position that since they can't figure out the problem "there is no problem." That's complete crap.

My advice is document every incident and everything you've done to try and fix it. Keep records of everything. I now have a lemon law lawyer and a file of records about one inch thick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to friend of mine,he is a technitian at infiniti.There is a module called BCM(body control module) that controls some kind of a amplifier for AC system,that stays energized even the car is off.If the module is bad it'll drain the battery.Will try to meet him tommorow and find out.Never heard of it before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just solved the problem!!! My cd-radio-tape unit wasn't fall in the sleep mode when the car is off , pulling 1.1amps from the battery. The only thing they did-reset the radio.So far didn't put any cd's yet,but the main thing-they found the problem!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's great news.

I do have to tell you that the dealership also thought it was my audio system, said it was faulty and not shutting off, drawing 300 miliamps. So they pulled it and replaced it with a brand new system. Three days later battery completely dead again, to the point I could not jump it, had to tow it. Problem seemed to actually get worse after that.

Just be a bit cautious in the next few weeks, you just never know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can do a draw test yourself, when you take your negative power lead from the battery, hook up a multimeter between the lead and the negative battery-pole. Put the dial from the multimeter on 10amp, and read the amps. It should read lower than 1amp after a few minutes.
If it's more, pull all fuses one by one and look when it drops. When you know witch fuse, leaf it out and put everything back together again.
Start your car and look what does'nt work anymore, to lokate your problem.
A fuse can be used for more than one item so look in your manual and diagram to be sure.

Gr Ron :wink:

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
moriy3 said:
I do have to tell you that the dealership also thought it was my audio system, said it was faulty and not shutting off, drawing 300 miliamps. So they pulled it and replaced it with a brand new system. Three days later battery completely dead again, to the point I could not jump it, had to tow it. Problem seemed to actually get worse after that.
Could be you got another faulty stereo system... from what I've read, INFINITI replaces the headunit with a refurbished unit so it's not brand new...

I had an issue with my rearview camera... they replaced it... the replacement acted up just as I was leaving the dealership... they did a quick check and sure enough the "new" camera was faulty... ordered another one and it hasn't acted up since...

·
Registered
1 Posts
it's been goin on for couple months now. For some reason if i don't start the car for like 2-3 days -my battery is completely dead.Went to infiniti service , they performed electrical diagnostic-everything ok,couldn't find anything that drains the battery.A week ago replaced the battery , but the problem still exists.Checked all the lights when the car is off-couldn'find anything. Any ideas? Help!! :(

·
Registered
2004 Infiniti FX35
44 Posts
Any updates on this issue?
I'm having a similar issue. I just replaced my battery and alternator, car drove fine for two days and then went into limp mode and the next day, my brand new battery was completely drained. Jumped the car with a booster battery, car starts right up then goes to idle and stalls with no electrical power at all.
So there is some sort of parasitic battery drain. Also I think my brand new Alt is bad. So, I'm going to take the battery back to Autozone and have them charge it so I can test the alt with an multimeter.

·
Registered
2004 Infiniti FX35
44 Posts
My car threw a code for the camshaft sensor bank 2 before my battery died and I replaced. I think I'll start there and replace the sensor. I just got my battery charger and will charge up the battery, which will probably take all night and we shall see if it solves all the problems and bring world Pease.

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Did you ever get the new alternator checked? From your previous post it sounded like a bad alternator or a bac connection to your alternator.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts