Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to the forum and very interested in purchasing a used FX in the future. I currently own a 2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD, which is FULLY loaded other than a reverse camera view (I have: NAVI, BOSE, Hid's, Leather and all other extras similar to the FX). My car currently has 164K miles but is still running strong. Regardless, I have been looking at FX's for quite some time and have a few general questions, as I am looking into purchasing one in the near future.

I am sure that a lot, if not all of these questions have been answered previously, but I am wondering what is the better buy. I am either looking into purchasing a 2008 FX under $20k with decent miles, or a newer 2nd FX (fx35 or fx37)) under $30 with low miles..still haven't decided what I truly want to spend monthly. I guess my real question is this... Is there a big difference in the 1st and 2nd gen ...for example common issues or other problem I might possibly run into, that I should avoid to save myself a headache? On the Murano, the main concern is the CVT trans, which I had replaced under extended warrenty by Nissan..luckly. Other issues are the ball joints/control arms, wheel bearings and tie-rod ends (mainly front end parts). I would figure that these cars here have similar issues? Anything else that's common?

Otherwise, I know I am asking a very broad question, but anything will help while finally browsing at these in person. If 2nd gen is hands down a much better pick and the common 1st gen issues were fixed/corrected, I would prefer to stick to that and suck up the higher payments. I am not looking into doing much towing, other than throwing on a tow-hook w/ a bike rack on the rear and a Thule ski rack on the roof. I would like to add that I am mechanically inclined to some degree and do almost all of my maintenance and repairs in the garage. I appreciate any insight given. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I have had a 2006 FX45, 2009 FX50S and presently have a 2013 FX50S. I liked them all. The Gen 2 (all models) has more get up and go, I believe mostly due to the transmission programming. The bodies and interiors are similar but not the same. The Gen 1 also has a slightly higher door cut-out than the Gen 2. I have to duck a little bit getting into the 2009 and 2013, but didn't with the 2006. I never had any real problems with any of them, only a squeaky driver seat in the 2006, and a simple wiper problem in my 2013. Both were easily fixed by the dealer under warranty. Both cars were comfortable, performed well and only needed brakes, tires, oil and filter changes. The later FX's with the 3.7L engine will have noticeably more power than the older 3.5L.

I would say let the mileage, price, service records, color, features and value determine you purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have had a 2006 FX45, 2009 FX50S and presently have a 2013 FX50S. I liked them all. The Gen 2 (all models) has more get up and go, I believe mostly due to the transmission programming. The bodies and interiors are similar but not the same. The Gen 1 also has a slightly higher door cut-out than the Gen 2. I have to duck a little bit getting into the 2009 and 2013, but didn't with the 2006. I never had any real problems with any of them, only a squeaky driver seat in the 2006, and a simple wiper problem in my 2013. Both were easily fixed by the dealer under warranty. Both cars were comfortable, performed well and only needed brakes, tires, oil and filter changes. The later FX's with the 3.7L engine will have noticeably more power than the older 3.5L.

I would say let the mileage, price, service records, color, features and value determine you purchase.

Awesome, thank you for the feedback. I would like to say that I currently have the same going on at the moment with my Murano, no real major issues after the CVT change about 70k miles ago. Only common issue that keeps coming back is the ball joint/control arms , which often needs to be replaced (on the 3rd set already). Anyways, I believe that this would be a great upgrade for me, coming from a Nissan to an Infiniti. If anyone else has any other things to add, please comment. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
If you can afford it, always good to get a car that still has some factory warranty... You never know what might arise until you drive YOUR car around for a bit... A simple test drive doesn't reveal what kind of issues might come up with that specific car in the future...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can afford it, always good to get a car that still has some factory warranty... You never know what might arise until you drive YOUR car around for a bit... A simple test drive doesn't reveal what kind of issues might come up with that specific car in the future...
That is true, but alot of the times the car doesnt have any issues until the warrenty is way overdue anyways. I guess I would have to weigh out the cost compared to the amount of warrenty and time that is being offered with the car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you can get a warranty (e.g., CPO from dealer), then I'd go for that for peace of mind. Any near term "gremlins" then fall back on the dealer most likely.

Your choice on style between the two generations. Though, if you want another suggestion, look at the FX50--its V8 pulls much stronger than the FX35/37.

The only other consideration not mentioned is that there are rumors the FX (now QX70) will arrive in its 3rd generation as early as this Fall 2015. So, it could play a role in resale.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you can get a warranty (e.g., CPO from dealer), then I'd go for that for peace of mind. Any near term "gremlins" then fall back on the dealer most likely.

Your choice on style between the two generations. Though, if you want another suggestion, look at the FX50--its V8 pulls much stronger than the FX35/37.

The only other consideration not mentioned is that there are rumors the FX (now QX70) will arrive in its 3rd generation as early as this Fall 2015. So, it could play a role in resale.
Thanks. Well, a V8 might be a bit more than what I am looking for, even though I do believe it is a much stronger pull. I have not heard anything about the 3rd gen, but that should be interesting as soon as it comes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts