A crack started with about 2 inches and here's now :cry:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
OUCH! Do you haave fulll glass on your insurance? :(

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Can you tell if that came from a rock strike?

BTW: Some guy on FA said he paid $1700 for a replacement windshield. That just about made me faint, so I called my local glass shop and they quoted $300 for an installed replacement. Whew! I used them for our BMW last summer and that windshield cost $250 installed. The glass looks exactly like the OEM but appears to be harder to me (and, based on the problems being reported, I'm positive I would not want Infiniti OEM glass!). Oh, and the installer comes to your house or work and does it - no extra charge.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ujmot said:
OUCH! Do you haave fulll glass on your insurance? :(
No...My agent said it is under my regular comprehensive coverage.

What do you guys think about OE glass and aftermarket glass? Should I get the OE glass? Last time I went to Safelite to replace my BMW windshield and it seems fine plus they are inexpensive.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it came from a rock strike. The red circle in the picture is where the rock hit. I heard a loud noise and then I saw the crack.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Considering how many owners had their OEM windshields crack, I'd try my luck with the safelite.

·
Registered
286 Posts
e39ng said:
What do you guys think about OE glass and aftermarket glass? Should I get the OE glass? Last time I went to Safelite to replace my BMW windshield and it seems fine plus they are inexpensive.
i dunno will the aftermarket be an absolute perfect fit and weather tight from possibly leakage problems over the long term. what about warranty issues if there is leakage into the vehicle and screw up the electronics.
as the fx is relatively new is it worth the risk since there is no real aftermarket track record
i personally will stick to oem but if the **** winshield breaks every year i may have to go aftermarket or declare bankrupcy :oops:

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Those are good questions. I seriously doubt there will be problems with the fit or with leaks. They apply a liberal coating of water resistant glue around the perimeter and that's true for either OEM or not. I suppose the installer could be a bonehead but then that would a problem for either type of glass you choose. I respect any decision to play it safe with such a large investment like the fx. For me, I'd prefer to take the chance that the satellite glass and the companies that install it have a vested interest in not providing a faulty product.

·
Registered
286 Posts
my point about about oem was to also have the dealer install it so i dont have to deal with finger pointing if something goes wrong

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Yep, that's a good point and is why I did not address it. :D

I wonder if I got a warranty for my BMW's glass? I'll check tonight.

We really need to find out what an OEM windshield (installed by an Infiniti dealer) would cost. I just can't believe it would be $1700 - that's robbery.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
fxer said:
my point about about oem was to also have the dealer install it so i dont have to deal with finger pointing if something goes wrong
i bought a used ISUZU trooper in 2000, and it had a non-oem winshield....

well anyway, after a month or so, i began to get a whistling sound at certain speeds....

then a minor leak around my feet....

ALL was fixable, BUT my dealer (isuzu mind you) would NOT warranty it, (even though they sub out their glass) and therefor i had to go outta-pocket for the entire tab....

basically, i had to have the galss reset, and all new trim run....

NOT CHEAP, and not worth ANY savings it may have had from the previous owner...

unless he traded it in shortly after the new glass........

hmmmm.......

·
Registered
286 Posts
particlefx said:
Yep, that's a good point and is why I did not address it. :D

I wonder if I got a warranty for my BMW's glass? I'll check tonight.

hopefully it cover the glass and any resulting damage caused by water leaking into the vehicle for as long as your OEM warranty
good luck

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
For the BMW, it turns out the warranty guarantees their work against leaks, defects and any installation errors for as long as I own the car. It's unclear to me whether this covers damage to the car, but I kinda doubt it. I think they are just saying they will replace the glass and repair installation errors.

Personally, I really don't think this is going to be a problem. I watched the guy install it in my driveway and it looked first rate. Plus, when weighed against paying $1700 for an oem and dealer install, I'm willing to take the chance (assuming that figure is right - seems way too much to be true though).

Oh, I see it comes with a 1 year free chip repair too - that's nice.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm advocating non oem installations -- but I'm really not. I replaced the BMW windshield for $250 with non oem because that car was just about out of warranty anyway. The facts concerning what the warrantees really cover are still vague to me. We are guessing at what the dealer cost is and what their warrantee would be. If/When I need a new FX windshield, I'll be making many phone calls.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dealer told me the FX windshield costs almost $900. :shock:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
OUCH! What are you going to do? Go with the dealer or through aftermarket?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I'll try safelite glass.

·
Registered
286 Posts
e39ng said:
I guess I'll try safelite glass.
your insurance will pick up everything less deductable right.
if it is 250 or 500 out of pocket i would go to the dealer.
if you have to pay the whole thing out of pocket then i have no comment :wink:
BTW why not call several dealers, you might find one some where in the boondocks with cheaper labor rates
good luck
ps just get that thing fix quickly ,you are bringing down the neighborhood :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts