Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to go on a "longer than usual" trip in my FX. I plan to drive from suburbs of Chicago to Fort Wayne, Indiana which should take me approximately 4-5 hours (with some traffic). This will give me a chance to see what kind of milage I get as well as how comfortable the seats are.
Anyone's taken longer trips in your FXs? Any comments?

·
Registered
662 Posts
krzys4 said:
I am about to go on a "longer than usual" trip in my FX. I plan to drive from suburbs of Chicago to Fort Wayne, Indiana which should take me approximately 4-5 hours (with some traffic). This will give me a chance to see what kind of milage I get as well as how comfortable the seats are.
Anyone's taken longer trips in your FXs? Any comments?
I've taken 7.5-8 hr trips to NE 3-4 times with my FX.

Seats are fine even though ride can be rough on some portion of I-80. I don't like this unadjustable headrest though.

I usually get about 18mpg.

·
Registered
32 Posts
topguy said:
krzys4 said:
Seats are fine even though ride can be rough on some portion of I-80. I don't like this unadjustable headrest though.
Yeah, I don't like the fact that the headrest can't be tilted forward. I like to rest my head on the headrest on long journeys (and no, this doesn't mean I am any more likely to nod off). That was a nice feature on the last car. Can't imagine it would be difficult for Infiniti to do. I wonder if other people feel the same way.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've found gas mileage to be markedly better on longer trips... get about 21-22 mpg at 78-80mph. I have AWD and my city mileage is horrible... course it's tough not to wind the engine up too.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
awesome said:
Yeah, I don't like the fact that the headrest can't be tilted forward. I like to rest my head on the headrest on long journeys. ... I wonder if other people feel the same way.
How far do you keep your seat tilted? I keep mine fully upright (in fact, a little further forward than 90 degrees) and I can rest my head on my headrest in a fully-upright position once I extend the rest all the way to the top.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got back from a 10 hr. trip in our FX45,from south Ga. to northern Va. I found it very comfortable. I averaged over 70 mph. and got right at 21 mpg.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just posted a msg about this in a different thread. I took two 400 mile trips recently, and found no MPG improvement, from my usual 19 with 70% highway, which surprised me. (AWD FX35 averaging maybe 72 mph). I am a very efficient driver (slow starts, little braking, lots of non-ICC cruise control).

I figure it is cold weather plus winter grade gasoline. I'll be curious to hear how you fare.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm in the military and drive 16-18 hours almost every weekend to see my wife. The FX still feels like a race car on long trips, it seems like its revving even at a steady 70 or 80mph. Its weight also requires that you keep your foot on the pedal or else it will loose momentum.
the seats have been fine every time. I usually average 20mpg. I like driving the FX in the city much more than highway.

I also have a 2004 Honda Accord Coupe V6 and I must say that its a luxury to drive long distances in. You can't hear the engine at all. You can feel only a few bumps, and nothing uncomfortable. When you stop accelerating it will maintain speed and "coast" for quite a while. I average 29mpg even with the V6.

In addition, i have to say that XM radio is a necessity for if you're on the road a lot. It makes an 8 hour trip much more bearable.

G

·
0 Posts
29 mpg!! No bad. I top out at 22.. but then again, even on long trips, I never get tired of seeing what she's got. No issues with seat comfort at all. Wishing I had XM after the last trip though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow, Fort Wayne! That means there are 2 members here in town this weekend!!!! I must be dreaming. I've seen several other FX's, but nobody from here. I've got to start carrying cards with me.

On my last trip back to Fort Wayne from Chicago, we hit something like 21mpg at one point with the 45. Overall, we averaged over 18 and I was very happy with that. Look out for a red 45 with a Purdue plate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Paperboy said:
Wow, Fort Wayne! That means there are 2 members here in town this weekend!!!! I must be dreaming. I've seen several other FX's, but nobody from here. I've got to start carrying cards with me.

On my last trip back to Fort Wayne from Chicago, we hit something like 21mpg at one point with the 45. Overall, we averaged over 18 and I was very happy with that. Look out for a red 45 with a Purdue plate.

That's pretty wild , I went to high school in Ft. Wayne.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I typically do 2 runs from Seattle, WA to Sacramento and Bay Area, CA annually. It's about 800 miles each way and takes about 12 hours. This last time, I was in the FX35 AWD. I got 19.8 MPG and it was 90% highway. I do use the ICC a lot. Typically just set it and go. The seats were very comfortable. But I had to adjust it quite a few times. Great car for long trips.

·
Registered
74 Posts
race4aliving said:
That's pretty wild , I went to high school in Ft. Wayne.
You got lucky and moved away. I'm stuck here forever unless I want to pay to move all of my inlaws. My wife refuses to be any more than about 20 miles away from them. At least Ft. Wayne is a decent place to live.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, Fort Wayne! That means there are 2 members here in town this weekend!!!!
Is that a new record? :wink:

Anyways, my trip from Chicago to Fort Wayne took 4+ hours. I must say the car is extremely comfortable (much better than my older car, 3-series). When I used to drive the bimmer to Indiana, my butt hurt after a couple of hours of sitting behind the wheel; Infiniti does not do that! :D
For 90% of highway driving I got 18.5 MPG but then again some of my driving was spirited... :wink:

·
Registered
119 Posts
5 or 6 hour trips are frequent for me, I find the FX to be supreme for this kind of trip. I typicaly see 19.5+ mpg on these trips. We drove it from Pittsburgh to Sarasota (1200 miles ) last April and saw 21+ mpg. I found that 80 to 85 mph for an extended length of time improves the mpg. I have never seen this in any of my cars before. Must be the MOJO!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts