Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went back and read through some of the discussions regarding the use of a G35 or 350z LSD. It seemed as though it was most important that the Gear Ratios matched the original Specs of the FX. When I checked the specs of my 2004 I found an Axle Ratio listed at 3.692. Is this what everyone has been referring to? From what I understand Final Drive Ratio is determined by a number of factors, including Tire Diameter etc.. It seems as though some of us have successfully completed the LSD mod.. what are the results? how well has it worked out for you? can you help with my question? I am trying to find out exactly which LSD is the right one.

Thanks..

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I take it you're AWD? If so yes you're on the 3.7 FD ring and pinion. I'm not too sure what can be done about adding a vLSD or any other type of LSD since you have 2 FDs. I'm not sure what you can do about changing your FD ring and pinions either.

Here's a litlte breakdown of what hasbeen used in the R200 rear end
350Z/G35/FX35 RWD all 5AT use the 3.3FD
350Z/G35 6MT all use the 3.5FD
Any FX AWD use the 3.7FD

There are different combos used in the M35/M45 including AWD and the new G35 has some combos I haven't read up too much on yet.

I think brnjug was planning on putting a Nismo into his rear diff.

I' running a G35 rear diff with a 3.7FD and stock nissan viscous LSD.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I put some photos together of the differences between a G/Z diff an the FXs diff.

The housings pretty much look the same, there are differences between some years but you would have to know to tell the differences.

Installation differences between a G/Z and a FX are below.

Companion flange that mates to the drive shaft. Easy one to spot.
FX

G/Z

There's a variation of the G/Z but has more to do with the pinion nut inside the diff.

The only other installation difference is the hanger bolt. (made it up probably has a proper name but I don't have my invoice in front of me.

The FX is the larger one.

The hanger bolts up in that obvious spot on the subframe.

Other than some parts from [email protected] my change was a direct swap. The side flanges on an open diff vs a vLSD diff are different and you need the vLSD side flanges to install most aftermarket LSDs. The nismo kit comes with new side flanges so you're good in that department if you went with a Nismo. I've sat in a nismo and heard a nismo outside of the car and parking lot and low speed manuevers are loud.

Final thougts.

Thinking back to one of ironchefs posts about FD changes on the FX, I absolutely concur it has been one of the biggest changes in day to day performance and outright acceleration. Moving from the 3.3FD to a 3.7FD is awesome. I wish there were more options for our AWD FXers but the RWD FXers this would be a big change in day to day smiles. :D

Hope that helps someone someday :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NISMO Limited Slip Differential - 350Z / G35
NISMO 1.5way Limited Slip Differential. For 350Z & G35 Manual or Automatic transmissions with 3.5 (Stock), 3.7, 3.9 Gear sets.

Wouldnt this be the one to purchase seeing how there is an option to purchase with the 3.7 Gear Sets ? Which matches a factory fx35

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Yes that should work, and should have the needed side flanges for a swap. I'm not sure what putting a full lock up LSD into just the rear will do to the vdc system.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
You want to set the Nismo for street driving,more slip,and all should be well.
The LSD should react faster than the VDC(stop slip before it occurs) and not confuse it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reply from Performance Nissan ...Interesting

Hi there,

Im aware that the ring and pinion are interchangable between 350Z/G35
model with the FX however the LSD might be a different story because of
the differences in the output shaft. I'm not 100% sure if it will work.

Thanks, -Eddie

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I'm unsure which component he is referring to when he says output shaft.

Here's the assembly

Maybe he means side flanges? If he is referring to that the Nismo ones provided with the kit work on the 35 for sure.

I had my ATS Carbon LSD put in and wow, cool stuff. First couple time driving it around some corners at slower speeds you can here the inside wheel grab, no clanking like the Nismo. Now little to no noise on parking lot maneuvers, but both wheels are locked.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting...

Is it possible he is referring to the output shaft from the front leading into what would be referred to as the Drive Shaft leading from front to rear ?

do you have more diagram relative to the drivetrain? Front perhaps?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Driveshaft could be what he's referring to, it bolts up the companion flange of the diff. Z/Gs have 2 different companion flanges based on the year of the pumpkin but the mounting and the size outside of the pumpkin are the same. If you notice the size of our companion flange vs the size of the G/Zs the FX flange makes up any distance difference to the pumpkin.

Here's the external page of the diff.

external of the Z

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Swing back around on that one

I am going to swing back around and ask the customer support tech exactly what he is referring to. Overall I am still curious about the front assembly.

Where do you get those diagrams? download, purchase? it might be easier than burdening you with digging them up..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From EDDIE on the matter

Hi there,

What i meant by output shaft i mean the stud axles on each side, im not
sure the stub axles will work with the lsd. That was my only concern.
"companion flange" should not be affacted as you will be using the same
one, but LSD and non LSD stub axles are different, thus was my concern
for fitment.

Thanks, -Eddie

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
The axle stubs included in the Nismo kit are needed to convert the open diff, they will bolt up to the 35 CV/Axles just fine. :)

If for some reason they stopped including the axle stubs/side flanges here's the illustration. Part number 5 it connects to the axle assembly, picture is a little confusing but the far end of the axle assembly goes to the wheel hub. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... atalogid=1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts