Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a FX w/ LDW yet? If so, thoughts, comments? (or even anyone who has perhaps test driven one)?

I am interested in the new infiniti M coming out, but the package I want will have the LDW system.. i KNOW it's going to annoy me to no end and it appears there is no permanent way to disable it (must disable each start)... I wonder how long before people start to work around this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
When it comes out, ppl will find it more annoying than its intelligent.
Well, I guess we just disable it everytime we start the car...just like the Auto dimming rear mirror. :p
- So what's next? Mama look, no hand?
Any ways, here is the link about LDW:
http://www.infiniti.com/content/0%2C%2C ... %2C00.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2Fast4U said:
When it comes out, ppl will find it more annoying than its intelligent.
Well, I guess we just disable it everytime we start the car...just like the Auto dimming rear mirror. :p
- So what's next? Mama look, no hand?
Any ways, here is the link about LSW:
http://www.infiniti.com/content/0%2C%2C ... %2C00.html
I hate to off-topic myself, but why do you disable your auto dim on the mirror? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
skitzo said:
2Fast4U said:
When it comes out, ppl will find it more annoying than its intelligent.
Well, I guess we just disable it everytime we start the car...just like the Auto dimming rear mirror. :p
- So what's next? Mama look, no hand?
Any ways, here is the link about LSW:
http://www.infiniti.com/content/0%2C%2C ... %2C00.html
I hate to off-topic myself, but why do you disable your auto dim on the mirror? :)
with a dark tinted rear windows and limited view, I SOMETIMES found it not convenience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Are you sure you have to disable it every time you start the car? I thought there was a permanent on/off switch. That would be really annoying to have to turn it off every time I start the car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
kflanary said:
Are you sure you have to disable it every time you start the car? I thought there was a permanent on/off switch. That would be really annoying to have to turn it off every time I start the car!
Just like our VDC and others "SAFETY" feature, it'll be reseted to OEM default settings after ignition is off.
Yes, Auto-dimming is helpfull but our glasses are pretty well tinted. And no, I do have 20/20 vision hihihi...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
skitzo said:
but why do you disable your auto dim on the mirror?
I take it off (each and every time I start the car) 'cause I need to be able to see the headlights behind me clearly- that's how I look out for the CHP.

I wish there was a way to turn this off permanently. People actually like this feature? It seems to plague all Nissans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
kcrudup said:
skitzo said:
but why do you disable your auto dim on the mirror?
I take it off (each and every time I start the car) 'cause I need to be able to see the headlights behind me clearly- that's how I look out for the CHP.

I wish there was a way to turn this off permanently. People actually like this feature? It seems to plague all Nissans.
You can just unplug it, as long as you don't use the home link...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
PhilP69 said:
You can just unplug it, as long as you don't use the home link
I use the homelink (and the compass), though. One of these days, I'm going to open it up and put something opaque in front of the photocell- that'll stop the auto-dim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
why do you use the mirror compass when the navi has one?

at least when you turn off the mirror compass, it remembers the setting and keeps it off the next time you use the FX :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
fastdaddycar said:
why do you use the mirror compass when the navi has one?
The Nav's compass is heading-relative and requires extrapolation; the mirror's compass is absolute.

at least when you turn off the mirror compass, it remembers the setting and keeps it off the next time you use the FX
Really?! I wonder if it's possible to cross-wire the buttons?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I think I found a good answer on the LDW!

I think I found a good answer on the LDW! According to an '05 owners manual I found on the web, you can put LDW in manual mode so it does not come on automatically! Here is the verbage...

“The LDW system has an automatic mode and manual mode.

In the automatic mode, the LDW system automatically turns on when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position. The LDW system ON indicator j2 located on the LDW switch j1 illuminates, indicating that the system is on.

To cancel the LDW system, push the LDW switch j1 to turn off the LDW system ON indicator j2. To turn on the system, push the LDW switch j1 again.

In the manual mode, the LDW system is still off when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position. The LDW switch must be pushed to turn on the system.

To change modes, push and hold the LDW switch j1 for more than 4 seconds when the LDW system ON indicator j2 is off. Chime sounds and blinking of the LDW system indicator informs that the mode change is completed.”
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: I think I found a good answer on the LDW!

kflanary said:
I think I found a good answer on the LDW! According to an '05 owners manual I found on the web, you can put LDW in manual mode so it does not come on automatically! Here is the verbage...

“The LDW system has an automatic mode and manual mode.

In the automatic mode, the LDW system automatically turns on when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position. The LDW system ON indicator j2 located on the LDW switch j1 illuminates, indicating that the system is on.

To cancel the LDW system, push the LDW switch j1 to turn off the LDW system ON indicator j2. To turn on the system, push the LDW switch j1 again.

In the manual mode, the LDW system is still off when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position. The LDW switch must be pushed to turn on the system.

To change modes, push and hold the LDW switch j1 for more than 4 seconds when the LDW system ON indicator j2 is off. Chime sounds and blinking of the LDW system indicator informs that the mode change is completed.”
You rock. I hope this makes it into the M45!

Where did you find the manual out of curiosity?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Look up LDW in the index and there are a few pages written up on how it works. They talk about automatic mode vs. manual mode. That's where I found it. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Now if you ONLY like to weave through traffic at high speeds without signaling, then LDW is not for you.

Otherwise, LDW is not annoying, it actually works surprisingly well (extremely accurate) and the audible beep is soft yet sufficient. It automatically disables when you turn on a blinker or slow down to 44 mph or less. Basically it knows when you are making a turn.

There is an on/off button on the lower left of your steering wheel, but I've never felt the need to disable this feaure, since LDW has been so helpful. Considering the FX is such a wide vehicle, I don’t mind staying in my lane instead of accidently veering over into the next while I’m looking at the nav, sightseeing, etc. In fact, I cant' think of a time that a LDW beep came on when not appropriate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
Shawn said:
Considering the FX is such a wide vehicle, I don’t mind staying in my lane instead of accidently veering over into the next
Erm, how often does this happen to you?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
kcrudup said:
Shawn said:
Considering the FX is such a wide vehicle, I don’t mind staying in my lane instead of accidently veering over into the next
Erm, how often does this happen to you?!
I'm not a perfect driver, maybe you are, but I personaly don't think any human is. Keep in mind that LDW doesn't just warn you "after" you cross the lane or run off the road, it warns just before the fact. Like when you so much as touch the dotted or solid line painted on the road.

Oh ya, and the beeping lasts all of 1 second, because that's how long it takes you to correct your steering! Think about it, chances are your hands are already on the steering wheel since you're driving 45+ mph, you hear the warning, you instantly react because you don't want to wreck.

If you think the life saving LDW would be annoying, I can only imagine how annoying you find the driver giving you the finger to be. :lol: I'm just sharing my opionion based on experience instead of speculation. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shawn said:
Now if you ONLY like to weave through traffic at high speeds without signaling, then LDW is not for you.
That's me!

I wonder how well it works on these fabulous south-florida-perpetually-under-construction roads? They dont bother to paint over old lines - they paint newer, brighter ones. What does it do when there are multiple sets going different directions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
Shawn said:
I'm not a perfect driver
Hey- just checking- it seemed like it was more than the very occasional occurrence! :)
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top