Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Infiniti FX35 with 35,000 miles. When turning the steering wheel there's a "knock-knock" sound while not moving or at low speeds. A dealer expected the suspension and everyrhing seemed OK. So what can it be? Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
If it's not the CV boot or ball joints (we have those, right?), then it could be a power steering problem. First off check the fluid level (probably not the problem but it never hurts to check). I guess it could be the power steering hydraulic pipework knocking when under the increased pressure. If so, just secure the pipework. Could also be the pump, but I'm just grasping at straws since I don't think any other FX owner has reported a similar problem.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I have the same problem, but mine started after I installed the eibach springs.

Jim

Let me know if you find out what the problem is, I have a set of H&R springs on back order because I am thinking it might be a spring problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same 'problem' here also..
Haven't bothered to ask the dealer, almost certain they'll say they couldn't replicate it. :roll:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead.

I just got the creaking sound from front suspension. Looks like its the springs. Got some WD40 in there, didnt seem to help. They look seated properly. Sound will come just from turning wheel. Happens at a standstill. Any ideas on fix?

·
Registered
883 Posts
rookie said:
Would it be the the sticky from sweet? http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8531

Can you try to make it happen without the STB in place? Turning the wheels with the STB will make the frame try to twist.
Yes, I pulled STB off for test, and sound is the same. I also have an '05 & that TSB shouldnt apply to mine? Lemme also mention that the sound just started & was totally silent until now. I've been on the Eibachs close to two months already :?:

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
The thing with TSBs is they are only an advisory for xx years. I doubt they discovered and corrected these items, they just have anough conclusive info to say xx years were effected.

An 05 can have 03 problems if they didn't change the materials or design. My crankshaft position sensor went wacko. There was a recall for 0x-03 VQs, but the FX was not included. This doesn't mean the FX uses a different sensor, that bolt is probably the same bolt in most year FXs.

I'm just shooting in the dark about the other TSB being your problem, but in general TSBs can effect all years will under the same design or manufacturering process.

·
Registered
883 Posts
right on . . . but the last thing I want to do is bring my ride in to the dealer for a problem with aftermarket springs. You know the runaround :? . Do you have any other ideas that I could look at? I cant be the only one having this problem . . . then again, it may be that TSB, but let's save that for last.

THX

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
gto-dave said:
right on . . . but the last thing I want to do is bring my ride in to the dealer for a problem with aftermarket springs. You know the runaround :? . Do you have any other ideas that I could look at? I cant be the only one having this problem . . . then again, it may be that TSB, but let's save that for last.

THX
I hope it isn't something too serious :?
Mine was caused by STB bolts not tightend enough.

·
Registered
883 Posts
It doesnt appear serious. Everything looks intact & STB is on tight.
More annoying than anything else.

MORE IDEAS !?!

·
Registered
566 Posts
1) Steering column – there is a bulletin for this
2) The front Eibach spings move around when the steering wheel is turned. That's what my dealer told me when I mentioned this.
3) STB (loosen then retighten but you've already done this)

·
Registered
883 Posts
The front Eibachs are moving around. I'm pretty certain of that. So far the shot of lube has helped decrease the noise, but it's still there, & I would love a better quick fix. Maybe there are some other lubricants. I know I've got some Tri-Flow & White Lightning in my Mountain Bike tool cabinet. Maybe try that.

Any actives out there also experiencing this?

·
Registered
883 Posts
IssaFX said:
A rubber separator between the Eibach at the top of the front springs is what my dealer recommended.
You know where I can find something like that?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Possible. . . . good find. Anything on Ebay, as usual.
I'm gonna look around, & maybe my shop down the street has something on hand.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Just an update. The sound was getting worse, so I lifted it and it turns out it was coming from Right side front only. There is no angle adjustment on the FX for the lower mount, & upper perch was parallel to mount, so nothing could be done there. The Spring was sitting perfect and was not moving at all, as well it shouldnt due to the fact that it already has pre-load. Before I lifted, I was thinking it may have been caused by spring possibly pigtailing & hitting perch on the little step where it seats. After inspecting it, it turned out that the sound was coming from upper mount bearing plate. Like a big click at acertain point while turning wheels. This is the best part . . . I removed the strut bolt and tightened it down again. That was it, sound gone . . . ??? . . . Maybe it's in a different position & the car likes that. Easiest fix ever! kind of reminds me . . first thing to check if somethings not working . . Is it plugged in? :lol:

Wanted to throw this out there as a remedy if anyone has this problem. worked for me.

·
Registered
566 Posts
gto-dave,

can you give more info about this, "the sound was coming from upper mount bearing plate". A picture would be great but a better description of where this is would be even better. Thanks.

[Edit]
Checked the upper brace mounts and they are tight. The weak knock sound seems to be coming from the passenger door when it flexes. Will grease it and see what else I can do. Luckly, all else seems great.

[Edit Edit]
It was from the front springs moving around. Had the dealer install a layer of 3/32" of rubber under the Eibach springs and the sound is gone.

gto-dave said:
Just an update. The sound was getting worse, so I lifted it and it turns out it was coming from Right side front only. There is no angle adjustment on the FX for the lower mount, & upper perch was parallel to mount, so nothing could be done there. The Spring was sitting perfect and was not moving at all, as well it shouldnt due to the fact that it already has pre-load. Before I lifted, I was thinking it may have been caused by spring possibly pigtailing & hitting perch on the little step where it seats. After inspecting it, it turned out that the sound was coming from upper mount bearing plate. Like a big click at acertain point while turning wheels. This is the best part . . . I removed the strut bolt and tightened it down again. That was it, sound gone . . . ??? . . . Maybe it's in a different position & the car likes that. Easiest fix ever! kind of reminds me . . first thing to check if somethings not working . . Is it plugged in? :lol:

Wanted to throw this out there as a remedy if anyone has this problem. worked for me.

·
Registered
883 Posts
IssaFX said:
gto-dave,

can you give more info about this, "the sound was coming from upper mount bearing plate". A picture would be great but a better description of where this is would be even better. Thanks.

[Edit]
Checked the upper brace mounts and they are tight. The weak knock sound seems to be coming from the passenger door when it flexes. Will grease it and see what else I can do. Luckly, all else seems great.

[Edit Edit]
It was from the front springs moving around. Had the dealer install a layer of 3/32" of rubber under the Eibach springs and the sound is gone.

gto-dave said:

My noise returned. Glad your remedy worked. I'm not going to tighten or re-tighten anymore. Gonna take the whole dang thing apart when I get a chance. My springs are not moving. Noise/popping sound coming from bearing plate. FYI, it looks like a plate at the upper part of the strut.

What did your dealer charge for the fix, and how did you request the diagnosis with a modified suspension?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts