Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my car in for the 30K servie and showed my Tech the new K&N/intake. He commented that there might be drivability problems.I responded with this does not have a heated element..NO!

Simple terms,when you wash and re-oil your K&N filter,be light on the re-oiling and let it dry before you install/drive.

Earlier MAF's had heated elements to burn off soot,dust, oil etc so once the car warmed up and needed to read flow it would be ready.If oil was on the element,reading would be distorted.Idle more than anything would be effected.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I (and many other racers) run K&Ns dry.

Some formula Vee drivers run dry K&Ns. I started doing this about 10 years ago after I saw an article on it. I build my own engines, so I've torn down several that ran dry K&Ns, and I've not seen any wear that suggested particulate contamination. In fact, I've not seen much wear of any kind - and I put 30 races on one engine before a rebuild between 1989 and 1994 (yes, I did light maintenance after every 3 to 5 races, like lapping valves - and I re-ringed after about 15).

I've also run dry K&Ns on BMC A-series race motors (Spridgets, Minis, and a Lotus 7), a 3-cylinder 2-stroke SAAB Monte Carlo engine (in an H-mod/DSR LeGrand), and two 350 Chevy trucks (the tow vehicles - did about 180k mi between them without problem). All were trouble-free with good compression and oil consumption to the day I sold them. Mileage was normal and they seemed to breathe fine.

Apparently, the power gains from optimal oiling are small in comparison with a dry element. I gather it's easy to overdo the oil, which is said to reduce power by a similarly small amount (and, as you point out, can foul the MAF sensor wire).

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice addition,I too have run them dry with no known down side,did not know that others did too...
We be neighbors?

·
Registered
236 Posts
yup - main line

I was Philly Region SCCA race doc for many years.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Uuuuhhh.... Go Eagles?

Back on topic (sort of). Just wondering, can you guys think of why they don't have a drop in yet for the '05? I'm not aware of any changes from the '03 / '04.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt it changed,probably slow to add to there system.I bought a friend a K&N for X-mas and her Honda'05 was not listed yet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts