Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my JWT Pop Charger and Z-Tube from Ebay. I reviewed all of the Stillen/JWT and Z-Tube installations here in the Forum and did not want to sacrafice the accordion piece that everyone is cutting up. According to insurance and bodyshop estimating systems, the accordion piece and resonators come as a complete assembly costing $152.04! I have not confirmed with the dealer if the accordion piece is available separately or not. I didn't want to risk it since I can always sell the JWT/Z-Tube in the future and return everything to stock.

Here is what I did:

1) Obtained a 3" OD pipe from a muffler shop (Free! :D ) cut to 2" in length. The inner diameter is 2 7/8" which is a perfect match for the MAF and Z-Tube. You may want to have it cut at 3" length for a "looser" fit. I made a guess at the length needed by looking at the pictures in the forum (I did not yet receive the Ebay package to make accurate measurements and took a chance).

2) Filed down the inner-lips on both ends of this pipe and sanded smooth. Filed down the inner seam and sanded smooth.

3) Applied 6 coats of gloss black high temp paint.

3) Purchased a blue silicone adapter (the same ones all the CAI manufacturers use) from ebay. Type keywords for search: 3" silicone hose. The company that sells them on Ebay has a website: http://www.hightempsilicone.com . Cost was $11.50 shipped including 2 clamps. Comes in Red, Black and Blue. I chose Blue to match my Z-Extreme grouding kit :D

One BIG advantage in doing this (other than saving your accordion piece) is that the fewer accordion sections, the better for air flow.

This setup works better with the JWT than Stillen. The JWT is held by brackets that can be adjusted to accomadate the angle of the Z-Tube since the accordion piece is no longer used. The Stillen MAF is not adjustable just like the OEM air cleaner assembly.

Nevermind the red color on the filter. I did not have blue filter oil lying around and had a can of red K&N filter oil.

Also read: http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1432

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Good job, man; looks really nice. 8)

BTW, can you PM me that info on the valve body, manual shift mod and stall converter as well? Is this compatible with the '35?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
johnblaz2000 said:
Looks really godd. Next you need the Blue grounding wires. :)
Ahh...but I do have blue grounding wires. See pic #3 (MVC-008S.JPG) and you'll see a peek of one of the wires.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Curious,I posted here last night praising Sincity,he cane back asking about my trans work and I said I would respond in a pm,which I did...all missing this AM???

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Simply FANTASTIC! you mentioned that the fewer accordian pieces the"better for air flow." I often wondered why does the Z-tube have any at all? Can a piece be made to come off the throttle body without any accordian in it? Why spend $75 on a piece that can"still be improved?" Can local exhaust shops, like you went to for your 2" piece, fabricate the whole straight z-tube look-a-like w/o accordian? You may be on course for the BEST approach to date for the ultimate FX CAI! Can we just get the JWT and have a local shop work the rest (fabricate) back to the throttle body? (better application of the $75?) ...looks more like the orig. paddock for the 45 like esemes had / maybe that's what JWT is working on for his FX specific CAI ??? {thanks to injen for motivating you to arrive at this}

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Piniti,

Thanks! Well...there are intakes that can be had for cheap that imitate the Z-Tube. Don't go to a muffler shop...they do not have a mandrel bender and the bends they make will actually reduce airflow. Type keywords: "G35 intake" in Ebay and you'll see them. I have seen one that looks just like a Z-Tube for really cheap. But the one concern I seen is that the diameter of the pipe looks like 2.50" (flared at the throttle body end and reduced at the filter end).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brnjugfx45 said:
Curious,I posted here last night praising Sincity,he cane back asking about my trans work and I said I would respond in a pm,which I did...all missing this AM???
Huh...what is missing this AM?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MustGoFastR said:
I may just have to try this on my Stillen....

Here is a link to the Ebay seller and the silicone hose needed:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33742

However, it is listed at $12.50 + $5 S&H. Am I looking in the wrong place?
MGFR: Go into their "View Sellers Other Items" . It is hidden inside and you should find it for $6.50. I ran into the same situation.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Sincity said:
Piniti,

Thanks! Well...there are intakes that can be had for cheap that imitate the Z-Tube. Don't go to a muffler shop...they do not have a mandrel bender and the bends they make will actually reduce airflow. Type keywords: "G35 intake" in Ebay and you'll see them. I have seen one that looks just like a Z-Tube for really cheap. But the one concern I seen is that the diameter of the pipe looks like 2.50" (flared at the throttle body end and reduced at the filter end).
thank you, can you help/direct me a little further on this?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Sincity said:
MustGoFastR said:
I may just have to try this on my Stillen....

Here is a link to the Ebay seller and the silicone hose needed:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33742

However, it is listed at $12.50 + $5 S&H. Am I looking in the wrong place?
MGFR: Go into their "View Sellers Other Items" . It is hidden inside and you should find it for $6.50. I ran into the same situation.
Here is is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33742

The only difference is that the cheaper one comes with silicone liner clamps and the other comes with T-bolt clamps.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PINITI-FX said:
Sincity said:
Piniti,

thank you, can you help/direct me a little further on this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=38634

I wouldn't use it because it does not appear to have the supporting bracket that holds the Z-Tube onto the Plenum.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
right as usual, what about cutting Z-tube just before the accordian, then using your method to splice forward into JWT?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PINITI-FX said:
right as usual, what about cutting Z-tube just before the accordian, then using your method to splice forward into JWT?
Wouldn't do that either. If you are going to use a Z-Tube, you will need at least 1 accordion section (use the one on the Z-Tube) because of a slight bend when mating with the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
so what your saying is that you feel that you have modded this mod out to the max! (except for the 3" for a looser fit)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Sincity said:
You may want to have it (3" OD muffler pipe) cut at 3" length for a "looser" fit.
What exactly is meant by this?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PINITI-FX said:
so what your saying is that you feel that you have modded this mod out to the max! (except for the 3" for a looser fit)
Yes....the one thing I am working on now is obtaining a 3.5" piece of aluminum tubing from this person that sells tubing on Ebay. I'll fill you guys in. I just think using a 3.0" - 3.5" steel pipe is heavy.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts