Infiniti FX Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone consider repainting the side air vents to shiny chrome? I think they would look much better in matching up the rest of the chrome on the vehicle IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
SamB said:
Anyone consider repainting the side air vents to shiny chrome? I think they would look much better in matching up the rest of the chrome on the vehicle IMHO.
The FX50 ones are chrome.... did you look at this thread and my post/pictures at all or just post a random comment? lol

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Weather was nice and had some free time today - installed the GTSpec STB

DIY here: http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/thre ... Brace-(STB)-on-a-2009-FX50-time-1-2hr

It was kind of a PITA since I had not really worked on the FX50's engine before. Getting to the bolts was annoying and frustrating. But, in the end it all counts.

Got my hands dirty....

Got to dismantle the engine bay...

Got a nice new performance part..

and put it all back together....

First impressions: coming tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
'12 Chrome Foglight trim pieces came in - did a DIY
http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/thre ... 2nd-Gen-FX

Cost me $100 shipped and a half hour of work. Not too bad.
I think it updates the front nicely - flows a bit better from angles since there's the big chrome piece on the bottom of the side of the car.

before:

during:

after:

·
Registered
640 Posts
the new trim pieces look great!

I might have asked this before but... How do you get the fog to come on independent of the ambers and headlights? I always wanted to be able to turn the fogs on with the ambers only if i wanted too. Is it alot of work? Did you do it yourself?

PS - kudos for doing all that in a parking lot at school.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
codeggs said:
the new trim pieces look great!

I might have asked this before but... How do you get the fog to come on independent of the ambers and headlights? I always wanted to be able to turn the fogs on with the ambers only if i wanted too. Is it alot of work? Did you do it yourself?

PS - kudos for doing all that in a parking lot at school.
I used to say to get the KPtech module for it but it's overpriced and the instructions for it are for 06 models - it didnt work with my 09 / we couldnt find the current wire or whatever. so we went old school:
wired a new switch to ignition power source, mounted it steathily under dash. Thus, I have independent control of my foglights.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Gave the FX a wash and a quick spray wax for the first time doing it myself since august (havent had time otherwise, and the weather has sucked)
Also, if you didn't notice. Tail Lights are now tinted. May be a bit too dark for me. I was trying to only tint them to get that dark-red "euro" look.

Gives an idea of the tail color at different angles. Wish it was a bit lighter, but let's see if it grows on me.
I also noticed the clear is coming off of my wheels - going to repaint them when I get home for the summer. - a tiny bit darker this time.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
some almost-dusk pictures because I'm procrastinating.

Also shows how the tails look in the lighting.
Still a little dark for me.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Never updated here because it seems sort of dead :(

so, This summer I added tuner resonators (in addition to the factory oness) to my muffler delete exhaust because it was "too much" - I liked the new sound, but it still seemed too much for the FX…

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Ohhhh I like it a lot
Thanks ;)

where in upstate NY are you? I got to school at SUNY Buffalo law. If you're nearby you can come hear it

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm just south of Albany. PM me next time you are in the area. I imagine you pass by if/when you go back to Westchester.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I'm just south of Albany. PM me next time you are in the area. I imagine you pass by if/when you go back to Westchester.

I actually cut through PA but I can possibly alter the route. I'm driving home next week actually. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
So, the results are in:

RESULTS: Gain of about 5hp and 12tq, giving me

329hp and 338tq at the wheels (Mustang Dyno)

baseline is 325hp, 326tq (unlike the "I gained 30hp" FX that showed 305 as the baseline, ~330 after tune)

Modifications
K&N Drop-ins
HKS Replica Dual mufflers
Stock cats, Stock resonators.

The Tune:
Adjusted A/F
Removed Rev/Speed Limiter
Removed fuel cutout w/ braking (for "launching")
(Couldn't adjust Ignition timing)
True 100% WOT
ETC.

Right now I guess the car does drive better than it did before, feels peppier. Obvi I'm not going to feel 5hp/12tq but the driving is a bit different from adjusting the WOT, etc.

Dyno printout:

I'm going to try and get HFC or test pipes, maybe change the stock resonators too, then do a retune (may also try and do custom intakes w/ ducts)
then hopefully by then ignition timing adjustment will be available again… however…...

there was an issue with the software from osiris - couldn't get the rights tables sent etc there were problems on their end, so we couldn't tune ignition time…

FYI UPREV IS SUSPENDING SUPPORT FOR THE INFINITI FX50 Until they can "figure out" the issue with the Ignition timing..
So I guess everyone will have to wait a bit until they figure this out before tuning….
They "don't have" the correct files/tables for ignition timing tuning and therefore you cannot get a "full" tune with osiris…
also there is nO WAY to see KNOCK while tuning the FX50….another problem

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
So, in the meantime while they try to figure that stuff out, I've decided that I want to do a few more things that are PERFORMANCE-oriented to squeeze some more power out of the FX50. Hopefully by then, the ignition timing tuning will be back.

So, I am not looking to get a set of High Flow Cats, Test Pipes, but more likely Resonated Test Pipes (best of both worlds, less rasp, no catalyst material to break up and clog my exhaust system)

And to make up for the potential rasp from the TP/RTP, I will add an X pipe pre-resonator on the mid pipe. (that's what the G guys do) However I'm sure the "rasp" with the v8 will not be as bad as the type found on the v6 vehicles...

I am also looking at doing an intake setup utilizing factory ducting (to ensure I am getting cold, fresh air and not heatsoak engine bay air) and have been looking at users like Yokohama over on iS for inspiration.

I have also decided to take the plunge on coil overs, however I will be ordering Fortune Auto 500 coil overs with a 10k rear /8k front spring setup and "street" valving (Fortune coil overs can be ordered with custom spring rates, valving, and the option to use Swift springs) These are higher quality than BC/Megan and are assembled in the US, dyno tested, and have great support for rebuilds etc (which are done in the US)

Best Pricing I got was $1149 shipped, takes around 2 weeks because they build to order. For the few more dollars it is well worth it over BC/Megan imo.

After the coil overs, I'm going to be working with a shop to develop a solution to our 2nd gen camber issue, whether it is an extension on the factory camber arm or developing a part to replace factory parts for supporting camber adjustment - and they have agreed to a group buy once the problem is solved.

I'm also looking at getting a set of wheels, but will most likely do performance mods first.

So, stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Purchased a set of used GTM RTP with ~100 miles on them, essentially brand new. 30% MSRP. (not too bad)

They come with the needed extended Jpipe for o2 sensors, additional bungs for sideband, and are 'quieter' than standard test pipes due to resonating chambers.

Should be to my house before I am, but they'll be on in about two weeks. If they're too loud, I'll just sell them to thenext guy in like from the thread I bought them on, and go HFC.

GTM claims +~12hp and ~10tq with a dyno(Stock exhaust but w/ test pipes) for these on the vq motor, but the gains may differ on the vk. We shall see.

Paired with a true CAI this should free up some more ponies with a proper tune.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
So, The test pipe project is complete, and… it was a lot more complicated than I thought.

To start, the flange where the cats meet the header are 2-bolt on the FX50, not 3bolt like the RTP themselves. So I had to buy new flanges (vibrant)

Then, it turns out that the test pipes for the z/g, which may bolt straight up to an FX35, do not bolt in to an FX50… so we had to cut and weld.

So a "quick" swap turned into an ~8 hour fitment job including cutting, welding, a broken stud that had to be drilled out and rewelded, and heat paint treatment.
For this reason, It turned out to be a lot more work than I expected, leading it to cost a lot more than I expected.

However, I am happy with the result (and I haven't even gotten it tuned with these in….hopefully I see similar gains of 12-16hp that g/z guys got)

^ As you can see, we had to cut out the resonator, cut the piping, and were lucky the distance needed to the flange was exactly that of the resonator itself, without needed to cut out the extra bungs for wide band

We were also able to reuse the factory brackets that bolt in to where the catalytic converters meet the headers (really where the primary cats meet the secondary cats, I replaced the secondary cats with these RTP)

Compare the shape and size of the pipes to the pic when I bought them…..

After we made sure they were a perfect fit, we blasted them with heat-resistant paint..black for stealth.

(yeah it's salty under there)

as for sound, it did not really change drastically due to the resonator on the test pipes. The exhaust note from the back is a bit throatier now, but no drone nor much bass was added to the exhaust note. When I'm at WOT, however, the engine really opens up compared to how it sounded before. It seems to be enjoying the missing cats….

I'll try and have a vid together soon. I'm in the process of packing to drive back to buffalo for the semester so things are a bit hectic

The BUTT DYNO is telling me that it pulls a bit harder (or revs more freely) hopefully after a tune the actual dyno shows me i've improved on my power.

To be honest, It will be cool to make the extra 15hp and to have pioneered test pipes on the FX50 (as far as I know)
but for what I paid to have these then alter them, it was bit much out of my pocket.

For what I paid to have these RTP tailored to fit, and to have the HKS replica muffler tailored to fit, I could have simply bought a Borla catback from the start and had enough change left over to tune it… but again this is the price of going custom (pun intended) plus I wouldn't have test pipes with the borla

·
Registered
640 Posts
very cool JB!

·
Registered
640 Posts
PS - was looking at the stats of your dyno test again... what gives on the horsepower numbers? Your's is a FX50, the stock BHP from the manufacturer is much higher than that. What do you figure is up with that?

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
PS - was looking at the stats of your dyno test again... what gives on the horsepower numbers? Your's is a FX50, the stock BHP from the manufacturer is much higher than that. What do you figure is up with that?
The factory claimed HP is at the CRANK -- so 390hp/370tq
To get that power through our FX and the AWD system, by the time it gets to the wheels it loses a few ponies on the way. (That's pretty much how it works on any car)

Compared to a lot of AWD vehicles the Nissan ATTESA ETS has little drivetrain power loss. some lose much more.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts