Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's what the guy in the body shop told me when I mentioned I might want to upgrade to an after market muffler/exhaust. Let me explain:

This past Friday I was on my way home when a women ran into me on 395 north bound in DC. After I got over the sick feeling of having my beloved 45 injured I saw what I thought was a silver lining. This, I thought, would be a great opportunity to upgrade to a high performance muffler. So, when I got the estimate and told the body shop manager my intent, he said: "It VOIDS the warranty". So much for that good idea. When I asked what part of the warranty, thinking it would only affect the exhaust system or the engine, he said: EVERY THING! Go figure.

Mark

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Phat45 said:
That's what the guy in the body shop told me when I mentioned I might want to upgrade to an after market muffler/exhaust. Let me explain:

This past Friday I was on my way home when a women ran into me on 395 north bound in DC. After I got over the sick feeling of having my beloved 45 injured I saw what I thought was a silver lining. This, I thought, would be a great opportunity to upgrade to a high performance muffler. So, when I got the estimate and told the body shop manager my intent, he said: "It VOIDS the warranty". So much for that good idea. When I asked what part of the warranty, thinking it would only affect the exhaust system or the engine, he said: EVERY THING! Go figure.

Mark
the body guy toldya this??

i dont agree..

at all

in fact i am positive it doesnt void the ENTIRE warranty....

ask him to put that statement in writing, and fax it to NNA to have it verified......

then i might begin to believe

S

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Phat45 said:

Mark
BS

At most, it would effect the exhaust, but normally not that unless you go headers and remove cats.

It actually is a law that you CANNOT void the entire warranty for a specific component.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
A MUFFLER, for God's sake?! Umm, ok, so anybody that takes their car to a muffler shop instead of their dealer is voiding their warranty. Uh, ok. WTF are you doing listening to a body guy for? Do your homework.He's totally full of sh!t. There is a federal act that protects us from such things (forget the name; Mossy-Magnuson or something or other). A mod cannot void the warranty unless there is a problem that can be specifically traced to the mod as the cause. Even then, it is only that particular part/issue that will not be covered under waranty; it does not void your entire warranty. This has been covered to death on pretty much ALL of the forums, but we'll forgive you just this once. :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your forgiveness and understanding, guys. I'll take your word(s) for it and will nail the guy when we speak next. I'll update you on what he looked liked as he shrank and melted away from embarrassment.

Mark

·
Registered
882 Posts
Aftermarket parts AUTOMATICALLY voiding warranty is TOTAL BULL ****!

Here some info that will help you out. Its called the Magnusson -Moss Act.

There is a law protecting vehicle owners from just this sort of fraudulent behavior practiced by some automotive dealers. The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of such aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicles warranty or that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner’s manual under, "what is not covered".
essentially the dealer has to be able to prove that the aftermarket part was the direct cause of the mechanical failure.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Phat45 said:
Thanks for your forgiveness and understanding, guys. I'll take your word(s) for it and will nail the guy when we speak next. I'll update you on what he looked liked as he shrank and melted away from embarrassment.

Mark
and while you are at it a good slap upside the head may just improve his intelligence :wink:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Phat45 said:

Mark
Well, read up and know your stuff first:

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
Read ALL about it here:
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8124

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Phat45 said:

Mark
hey mark--

we arent shooting on you remember.... just more like standing up for one of our brothers......(or trying to)

best bet (IMO)::: print out the MAGNUSSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT, 15, 2302 and how it is interpreted........

here's Tom & Ray's thoughts (coincidentally in regards to a muffler and air filter)

CLICK ME

or read:

Dear Tom and Ray: I am writing in response to a recent letter from the owner of a Dodge Dakota who wanted to add some performance parts to his vehicle: a K&N air filter, Flowmaster exhaust, performance chip, high-performance plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Your response was that if he added any of those parts it would void his warranty. Not only is that untrue, but it is illegal for a warranty to be voided just because an aftermarket part was added to the vehicle. I have enclosed sections of the federal Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act for your edification.
- Cathy

TOM: We have to stand by our advice, Cathy. The Magnusson-Moss Act says that a manufacturer may not deny warranty coverage solely because a customer has used an aftermarket part.

RAY: But if the manufacturer determines that the aftermarket part is in some way responsible for the mechanical problem, it absolutely CAN void the warranty. And many of the performance parts this guy wanted to install certainly could be blamed for future mechanical problems.

TOM: The Magnusson-Moss Act is meant to protect a guy who goes to the Poky Lube down the street and gets a Fram filter instead of a "genuine Dodge filter." In that case, the Dodge dealer can't refuse to fix the engine because the guy used another brand of filter that meets the exact same specifications.

RAY: But if a guy puts on a free-flow exhaust that lowers the exhaust system's back pressure, and then asks the dealer to fix his burnt valves under warranty, the dealer could certainly point to the modified exhaust system and refuse to cover it.

TOM: The same is true if a guy puts on a set of humongous wheels and then tries to make a warranty claim for worn-out wheel bearings.

RAY: In cases like those, the manufacturer would have every justification for denying warranty coverage on those affected parts.

TOM: Sure, you can always argue with the dealer, but you'll probably have to take it to court to get satisfaction. And believe me, neither Mr. Magnusson nor Mr. Moss is going to show up in small claims court to help you plead your case. And the dealer may very well win.

RAY: So we think avoiding "high-performance" parts on a new car is generally good advice, Cathy. And we're sticking with it.

be strong, but not offensive (you never knwo when you may need him or his help)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These are a good group of guys, esemes, I know they would NEVER blaze a fellow FXer, right? :p

However, the except you provide does suggest that the dealer, if they wanted to stick it to "you" would have a very persuasive arguement in their favor. I'll be polite when I nail this guy and will look for posts from others concerning their personal experiences.

Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
heheh

Ive heard that soo many times, its like an urban legend.

Like others have already stated, you are protected by a federal act.

You can turbo you car, and still have warranty coverage, you WILL not "lose" your warranty.

While working at Honda before, I did read and confirm that Honda will in-fact VOID your warranty if you change your wheel size from OE fitment..... May be true, but doubt you'll truly lose your warranty still... (being that most Honda stores sell new honda's with non-honda aftermarket rims, exhaust, lights, etc)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
A week after I bought my car I met with the service manager and described some of my previous cars and their mods and that I intended to modify my FX45 and that I was fully aware of the feds restrictions on emissions and that lots of areas were fair game.He agreed ,smiled and we shook hands! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't see what the problem is. This a guy in a "body shop". He's not the dealer and he's not the voiding your warranty. My response to his statement if I bothered to waste the effort would be to explain why it doesn't void the warranty. But most likely, my response would be "so what". The guy simply wrong, but he's not the one calling the shots. You are.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts