Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is something that Inffiniti needs for the FX's imho. the merc's, bmw's, volvo's all have then and i think they look sharp.

is there aftermarket ones for the FX's?

:salute: :salute:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
dont know about aftermarket, but according to autospies, the FX may have a significant facelift in 2006. maybe this will be an update that you can retrofit...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I would like them to power fold in as well.

·
Registered
549 Posts
There really is no reason for auto-fold in the USA as in Europe where you really do utilize them. I had the auto-fold button on my 2002 ML55 AMG and although it's cool, I never used them for practical purposes other than to show people the feature. We have plenty of parking spaces in-between vehicles here in the USA. I don't recall other vehicles/models having this feature although I know that it's std. on Mercs in Europe but not offered for US-bound Mercs.

·
Registered
235 Posts
RU_MATRX said:
There really is no reason for auto-fold in the USA as in Europe where you really do utilize them. I had the auto-fold button on my 2002 ML55 AMG and although it's cool, I never used them for practical purposes other than to show people the feature. We have plenty of parking spaces in-between vehicles here in the USA. I don't recall other vehicles/models having this feature although I know that it's std. on Mercs in Europe but not offered for US-bound Mercs.
It is standard in all cayennes and standard in cars such as corolla and civic in Asia.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
RU_MATRX said:
There really is no reason for auto-fold in the USA as in Europe where you really do utilize them. I had the auto-fold button on my 2002 ML55 AMG
Yup- I was just about to mention that very car- there was a guy I knew who had one, but here's the thing- every woman thinks I'm crazy with my "heart-healthy parking" on my $48K FX- "I'm gonna let you out, get us a table and I'll park the car (at the edge of the lot)"- if I had a $90K AMG, you think I'd ever park that thing to something so closely I'd need to fold in my mirrors?!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Everyone here acts like they dont park in a garage and they dont have another 50K car next to it. You know like a suburban that the wife drives.

If they would fold and hers fold, less likely of someone rubbing up against the FX. Parking lot as well. No matter where I park< I would fold them, like I do in the surburban.

Didnt know eveyone was so passionate about not having them. I must amuse too easily. :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here ya go, I have seen these on ebay for some time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 13919&rd=1

Installation Instructions

NOTE THAT, The LED arrow will blend in with the mirror since it is clear. The LED signals are Clear LED arrows that have a self adhesive backing on them. The arrow is 2 inches long and a turning angle as show in the picture.

1. It has a positive transparent wire which is white(+), and It has a negative transparent wire(-).

2. Run the positive behind the mirror and through the door jam and the under your dash to your fuse box.

3. Connect the positive wire to your turn signal flasher fuse.

4. Ground the negative wire off.

When Connected, put your turning signal on, and it will flash on your side mirrors. The set comes complete with instructions and the pair of signals. Be sure before mounting, park the car properly, and turn off the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
8) As for U.S. cars that have the fold in Mirrors, the Lexus 430 has them. When walking to my mother's, my girlfriend saw them folded in. She thought that someone else did it and :shock: I had to stop her from pullin them back out.

While not that popular (yet), thay are making there way into the US.

·
Registered
549 Posts
No disrespect to anyone, but I don't think many people who advocate auto-fold as a practical necessity have driven by bike or auto in other countries. I've been on-passenger/driven a scooter, motorcycle and auto in Europe and having auto-fold mirrors on autos saves motorcyclists' lives! I've been clipped by non-folded (doesn't mean non-folding) mirrors on the cheap economy cars and have seen people close their "auto" and "manual" mirrors just so that we could split lanes through traffic.

It's all relative but ever park in Paris, Madrid or Barcelona? Here's the key. You can't unless you have folding mirrors and sometimes, a rear exit strategy, especially in their version of a multi-level underground parking garage. It's truly laughable at times :lol:. Did you also know that parallel parking on the streets in Madrid is sometimes 5 cars wide during siestas? "Suicide circles" a.k.a. plazas (e.g. Arco De Triomphe, Puerta Del Sol, etc.) are truly suicidal for us visiting "foreigners" trying to drive there. This was just prior to the 1992 Olympics and on a recent trip back there in 1999 I saw 10x more vehicles and more, larger "imports" than ever. We are really spoiled in the US if one truly thinks that "auto" folding mirrors are a practical necessity. If it's offered, it's because of cross-market sharing just like why my European uber vehicles ALWAYS have manual or auto rain-sensing headlight washers which I never use (more for autobahn safety in mud/rain). It costs more for the manufacturer to remove this feature than charge Americans for an option that's standard in other countries.

In conclusion, city-driving in the USA is not like some major European countries (maybe New York). Everyone drives pretty well
and are aware of their surroundings. Every car gets door dings, dents and scratches daily. A bumper is truly, truly used as a bumper. I would dislike owning a nice daily driver in some of these places. As I said, in other countries, folding mirrors are there for greater reasons (plus minor advantage of mirror saving) and the "auto" version (on larger, luxury vehicles) wasn't designed for the sole purpose of mirror protection. One has a much higher chance of getting door dings and scratches than damage to the mirrors. Just my thoughts.............................

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I'd like it if I could fold my mirrors when I park in my garage. As they are, I sometimes bump them when I walk out the side door (usually when I'm taking the trash out). Also, my mirror always comes within a couple centimeters of the door when I back out of the garage. I just hope that I'm not distracted someday and scratch them all up. ::(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts