Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been asked before, I did do a search for 'click' and read many threads about various clicking sounds, but none seemed to be the same thing I am inquiring about.

As I am relatively new to the FX35 club, I don't know if what I am hearing is normal or not. I haven't taken it to a shop, or asked anywhere else, as everything seems to feel and drive normal. However, I do have the following question.

Do you hear, and is it normal to have, a clicking type (one click) when:

Engaging Drive or Reverse from Park, or going from Drive to Reverse, or Reverse to Drive. I've noticed a click sound as the car is set into a gear when I back out of the garage. The sound is not very loud, seems to only happen during loading of the drivetrain maybe. I can only hear it if the windows are down or sunroof is open. There are no jolts or thuds or anything that would indicate something being loose.

I've also heard this same noise when circling around my parking garage at work. The only way I can describe it's occurrence is possibly it's happening when the drivetrain is either loaded or unloaded by pressing gas pedal...but it's hard to say. When I come around a corner in the garage and hit accel, I can hear a click, then I roll to next turn, and upon accel out of turn I hear it again. Just a simple click sound, no other drama.

FX has 73k miles on it, and all other driving characteristics appear to be normal. This is an AWD version, is there some sort of actuator or something that makes this type of brief sound as the differentials or whatever engage and disengage?

Thanks for your help, if you know of a thread that answers this, please provide a link.

EDIT:

I made a couple vids of it. Keep in mind, this click isn't very loud, although it sounds crazy loud in these videos.

Single attempt, shifting from Park to Reverse:

Click is heard after first attempt, I repeatedly move shift lever from P to R to D and back and can't get sound to repeat. Only way to get sound is to actually drive vehicle out and back in, put in park then test:

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Re: Is FX35 AWD supposed to click when trans goes from P to

I have a small click like what you describe. It seems to do it whenever I move from a stand still. I think it may be a cracked exhaust flange on mine flexing. Never got underneath to check, as i'm not about to be under there with it rolling :D

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts

mine does a click, too

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well maybe a have a misbadged FX45! LOL

Hopefully it's nothing. Probably just something in the trans or xfer case activating.

If anyone knows what it's actually doing, I'm sure we'd all be interesting in knowing. :thumbright:

·
Registered
10 Posts

I had a FX35 AWD (07) and now have a FX50s (11). They both stick/click when going from park to drive/reverse when I start up... I've been able to minimize this by engaging the parking break when I stop with the shifter in neutral, then moving to park. When I leave, I shift to the position I want with my foot on the brake, then disengage the parking brake. Your mileage may vary:) This might cause more wear on the emergency parking brake (is it called emergency?). Mine loosens up over time with this use... And I had to change my rear brake pads at 39k on the FX35, but after that, they tightend my parking brake so that it was similiar to when I purchased the vehicle. I'm not sure how the two (rear brake pads and parking break) are related...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

FYI The parking brake (formerly known as Emergency brake - not to be used in an emergency for stopping vehicle) is typically cable actuated (they adjusted your tension) and utilizes the rear brakes of the vehicle. When pads are changed, they had to adjust the parking brake as it self adjusts itself during actuation thru it's life cycle.

The click sound could be related to braking, but I am not convinced. I think there must be some actuator in the drivetrain that clicks on and off when changing from park changing directions (rev/for). It seems to be common so I won't worry about it, but I would like to know what exactly is happening.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts

I cannot quite hear what you're saying is a "click" in the video, but both of my FXs have made a "clunk" when going from park to reverse or drive. I've tried setting the parking brake before shifting into park but it has no impact on whether or not the "clunk" occurs. I have driven Toyotas that did the same thing; not overly concerned about it.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts

Good, you found the issue. I was going to suggest the dry axle click issue if you are getting a constant clickclickclickclick while accelerating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts