Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its freezing in the winter in the NE and I sure don't want to wash my car in sub zero temp. I'm wondering will there be any problem going through carwash machines with the FX. My concern is the big 20 wheels(factory) might get damage. Any people have problems going through carwash? TIA

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know if you would have any problems or not, but I just can't bring myself to run any of my vehicles through a car wash other than the kind where you spray it yourself. Even those, I won't use the brushes on any part of the car.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I don't see were an occasional TOUCHLESS carwash could hurt. I would not go thru one with brushes. I have used touchless when the car was very dirty and the weather too poor to get out and wash it myself.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My FX with the 18's get through the "no touch" washes fine so I don't see why your's wouldn't since our tires are the same diameter.
Mind you the touchless doesn't do the best job in the world it's alot better than starting at a dirty car all the time.

·
Registered
443 Posts
well... 20" rim might get scratch on the ramp

·
Registered
662 Posts
Maybe it depends on the type of touchless turnnel wash.

The place I go to is not a touchless place but is only 2 year old. My rims never got scratched and my paint looks pretty good. I've done only one hand wax so far.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I always hand wash mine...Zaino of course. :) In the winter I'll pull it in the garage and wash it to keep the water from freezing. If you must use a car wash, I wouldn't let anything but water/soap touch my car. Stay away from the brush, hand held or otherwise.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I had a car with 215/60/16 and I still thought it was too tight...little room for error.

With the FX, during the summer I'll wash it myself. And in the winter, may shell out the cash to have someone hand wash it.

evolution said:
Its freezing in the winter in the NE and I sure don't want to wash my car in sub zero temp. I'm wondering will there be any problem going through carwash machines with the FX. My concern is the big 20 wheels(factory) might get damage. Any people have problems going through carwash? TIA

·
Registered
779 Posts
Only hand wash your car in the winter and make sure that it is dry before leaving car wash. Pay special attention to all the door rubber seals and washers (don't know the proper name is). If not, you won't be able to open your door... Talking from the past experience!!!

Kris

·
Registered
848 Posts
I understand where you're coming from...

I bought a new Vette back in '85 and being a dumb 26 yr. old, took it to the local car wash, and promptly got the front wheels stuck (scraped up the rims a bit) because the track wasn't wide enough for them. I'm sure they've widened most of them now because that's been the trend with wheels as long as I can remember.

Now, I only go touchless...even complained to my local Mobil station (where they recently switched to brushes) that it was the only reason I bought gas there, and won't be back unless they go back...probably a waste of breath...but a nearby BP has a relatively new touch free wash, so I'm still a happy camper.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My last car got all sorts of scratched up from brushes at those scrub-a-dub carwashes. Ive have only gone Touchless at the local mobil station with the FX and havent had a problem yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What is a touchless car wash?
I know brushless car washes, which is pretty much most of what's out there now. But Touchless??? are they just spraying water and soap at the car?

·
Registered
848 Posts
mozman said:
What is a touchless car wash?
I know brushless car washes, which is pretty much most of what's out there now. But Touchless??? are they just spraying water and soap at the car?
Nope, it's a new laser carwash...really cool!

Just kidding...they're just another name for the brushless

·
Registered
292 Posts
The only problem with "brushless" car washes is that it really doesn't remove the film of grime off the paint. So if you run through one, don't wipe the car down afterward or have anyone do it. All that will do is scratch the paint. The only way to truely wash the car and get the grime off is to hand wash.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think you can go to the touchless carwash. That is the one with someone drying your car afterwards not the one in Gas station. I have 20's on mine and went through just fine without a scratch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had my FX35 Sport (20-inch wheels) for almost two years and i've run it through all kinds of carwashes....brushless, rotating brushes, and hanging cloth strips, with no problems. I do this every 2-3 weeks, so its probably been through washes about 30 or 40 times. I used to remove the antennae, but i don't bother to do that any more.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've gone through the touchless Sunoco up here. Best around here eitherway. They don't have any ramps etc too.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well, i just went through my first touchless wash. What a waste of $7! I had water spots on the car before the wash and i still have them! I also have some white grime on the doors (looks like the type you get after driving through some snow/slush) which may or may not have been there berore the wash. Guess the next step is to pay some brave soul to hand wash it. I aint moving near that thing in this cold!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts