Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if I'll notice a significant improvement in handling if I just add the Stillen STB. It's not too expensive by itself but most of the threads I've read mentioned the STB upgrade plus springs. Also, is there just one one type for both FX35 and 45? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
cantdrv55 said:
Just wondering if I'll notice a significant improvement in handling if I just add the Stillen STB.
Absolutely! This is the only suspension upgrade I've done so far and it made a HUGE difference in cornering ability/cornering feel. One of the other HFXA members installed this as well; he called me the night he installed, laughing hysterically as he was tearing up the corners. Deffinitely a worthwhile mod.

Also, is there just one one type for both FX35 and 45? Thanks.
Yes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for the quick response. This board is great. Now all we need is a forum dedicated to politics and I'd spend all my free time here.

·
Registered
549 Posts
cantdrv55:

I should be receiving my Stillen STB any day now and will assuredly give my own personal feedback. Do a search and you'll find some other forum member's insights into the STB as well.

The best price I've found is through Grubbs Infiniti for $132.95 (5% FA discount). Apparently, Stillen made an error in pricing with Grubbs first large order and agreed to honor that price to them strictly on volume. Stillen charges $193.00.

Anyways, to answer your questions, it's the same brace and part# for both the FX35/45. It should improve steering precision and stability in faster turns as the main purpose of this brace is to directly tie-in both front strut towers and maintain the geometry of the front suspension undergoing dynamic loads and flexion. My past experience has shown that it actually smooths out the ride over irregularities in the road as you get less front-end chassis flex although FXs have great structural integrity already. Afterall, suspension movement and integrity is dynamic.

Whereas most enthusiasts who are focusing on enhancing handling performance usually add the STB along with lowering the vehicle, the STB can be a standalone item. I'm hoping to have the Eibachs, STB and spacers installed next week.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
cantdrv55 said:
Now all we need is a forum dedicated to politics and I'd spend all my free time here.
The Acura MDX dedicated Forum (http://www.acuramdx.org) is one of the best I've ever seen. However it was almost ruined this summer due to Political Threads. They have a new rule over there of no politics. I'd recommend we keep talling about the FX 8)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
cantdrv55 said:
Now all we need is a forum dedicated to politics and I'd spend all my free time here.
The Acura MDX dedicated Forum (http://www.acuramdx.org) is one of the best I've ever seen. However it was almost ruined this summer due to Political Threads. They have a new rule over there of no politics. I'd recommend we keep talling about the FX 8)
Yeah, and although pretty much anything goes in the "General" section here, political threads tend to cuase a bit too much heat, so out of courtesy, the majority of us steer clear of bringing it up here.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I won't rock the boat so no political posts from me. Still this board is great!

RU_MATRX, thanks for the tip about Grubbs. Let us know how your STB install went.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Anyone watch the debate last night? ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
ujmot said:
Anyone watch the debate last night? ;)
There was another debate last night about which is better the FX35 vs. the FX45? And I missed it? :p

I'm hesitant about just getting the STB but it seems that everyone who has one swears by them. Oddly, in my other cars I felt no differrence with an STB. Could it be that the FX benefits more from it than a car would because being an SUV the body flexes more?

·
Registered
94 Posts
RU MATRIX, when did you order from Grubbs the Stillen STB? The website now shows 189.99 and not the 132 you said. maybe tney changed it huh?

I was going to order one, but noticed the price difference....please keep us updated! thanks

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Yes,you will feel and improvemant with STB alone!
Yes,the Eibachs add even more
Yes,I watched the debate

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
The answer is an unequivocal YES! 8)

Swapped the Stillen STB from phamgiaj's ride and put it in my AWD last night and had this stupid a$$ grin driving all the way home. The front end is significantly stiffer, especially off the line, and there's a definite "point and shoot" feeling during handling manuevers, e., changing lanes, cornering, etc. He definitely noticed it was gone in his ride.

We installed my old sunroof wind deflector on his car...I'd say it's a fair exchange...:p :lol:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi Stormace:

Call Grubbs Infiniti Performance parts directly. I just ordered the Stillen STB last Monday exactly one week ago. for $139.99 - 5% discount (FreshAlloy disocunt $7.00) = $132.99 + ground UPS.

The Coupon Code is RLX4-8SV0RY (has to be in bold face). Just paste and copy the " Grubbs Infiniti Discount Coupon Code for October" from the Fresh Alloy site at the top of the G35 forum:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads ... oard=UBB25

Maybe they changed the web price based on Stillen complaining?
Call Grubbs Infiniti first and ask them to honor the $139.99 price which your friend Dave just acquired last week. Tell them that you were about to order it with me but was out of town at the time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
RU Matrix, I will do so and call grubbs, thanks!

How's the ride again? Stiffer than without? I know the handling will imprive, but will the ride stiffen even more? or like others say, not much difference or less stiff.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Honestly, the only time you'd notice it's there is when it counts... when making hard turns. Get it! You wont regret it and it looks great under the hood :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hey Stormace:

Ride is definitely better over continuously rough roads as the front struts flex less and not independently since they are tied together. Take it through some relatively bad roads (even at slow speeds) and you'll see what I mean. As ujmot stated, It feels exactly the same as stock over smooth, well-maintained roads. I just installed it yesterday night and took my FX45 through some common routes around town here in Hollywood. The comparison is fresh in my mind.

Turn-in of the vehicle is sharper and more precise though you will mostly notice it in higher speed and/or harder cornering. Steering inputs feel better connected to what the front wheels (suspension) are doing at any speed. Also, it's relatively lightweight. I got what I expected from the STB.

It's truly a worthwhile item, even for the FX45, which has great structural integrity already. A beautiful touch of class for the engine compartment as well. I'd add a rear shock brace, if they made one! I don't think that it would be as difficult to engineer as the front and would sit nicely across the rear floor hatch area while tieing in the rear shock towers. The 350Z has a beautiful one stock.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
As I posted in the Performance Nissan Special thread, get it! I didn't follow any of the STB threads until after I had it installed and so I didn't know what to expect. I got it, and found out that everything said here was right-on! (I'm also glad to see I'm not crazy about what felt like a better off-the-line performance, either!)

I'm almost assured of lowering before the end of November- but what now bugs me is now we have a difference of opinion about the tires I want (the KDWs) and the springs I want (there's concerns about the Eibachs).

I'm just glad there's fora like these now- can you imagine trying to mod back in the "old days" w/o the internet?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want it, I want it. I'm just saving up for it right now since I'll have to pay full price for it. I hate paying full price for anything.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The STB helps out that much? I've had strut bars in my previous rides and they honestly didn't do ****. Looked nice but i mean its just a strut bar. If you look under our cars the chassis is pretty well fortified. for 180 bux id rather get a pulley or 10K bulbs. But to each his own...

btw, i'll probably end up getting the strut bar :roll:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts