Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been reports of people's garages broken into in the area where I live so I came up with this idea to install a car alarm in my detached garage. I've bought a Hornet car alarm system, hooked up 2 door sensors to it along with a motion detector and a loud siren and got it to work. Arm/disarm functions are controlled by a key-fob (just like you would with a regular car alarm).

Now, I wanted to program one of the HomeLink buttons on the mirror to arm/disarm the alarm, hence eliminating for need for the key-fob. I tried it but it seems like it is not working. According to the alarm system, the button has been programmed (I hear a beep from the CPU) however the Homelink does not react at all. Anyone has any suggestions? Is what I am trying to accomplish achievable? Does it make sense? Thanks
Kris

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
You have a 2 door garage, and your FX is still park on the driveway? :shock:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I dunno if the Homelink frequency and that of most fobs are in the same range, though.

·
Registered
641 Posts
the alarm system would need to be supported by homelink, I dont think car alarms would be compatible for several reasons.

take a look at the homelink web site for supported products

http://www.homelink.com/brands/choose.tml

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Wrong frequencies, and the Hornet's remotes are code hopping too.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Alex said:
I could not get my homelink to work no matter what, not really impressed with it. The lights blink on it like it detects the frequency and stores it but the doors never open :(
You should be aware that if you've got a rolling-code opener, that not only do you have to program the in-car HomeLink, but once it's done you have to get someone to hit a button (usually orange or red) inside the actual opener in your garage to have it accept your car (or any new transmitter) as a valid reciever. This is done as a security measure so people can't just use a sniffer to get into your house.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don’t believe i have a rolling-code my house is not that new to have that kind of tech.

Its no big deal, i just use my garage opener that i implanted into the ashtray.

But thanks anyway.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Alex said:
I don’t believe i have a rolling-code my house is not that new to have that kind of tech.
Won't you even get up there and take a look? That technology is at least 20 years old.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.